What to do with millions of Bags of Holding

Last response: in Video Games
June 23, 2005 5:03:35 PM

Okay, well not exactly millions, but I currently have four. I'm using
one as a stash right now and carrying one on me as my main bag, and
then two empty ones. However, when I Ascend, I would prefer not to
leave any of them behind, because I lust after these damn things soooo
much in the games when I don't find them that to simply leave them by
the wayside when I Ascend to Demigoddess-hood would be a sin.

The way I look at it, I have three options:

1.) Separate out the Bags of Holding by contents. Put gems and other
point items in one, put backup armor and weapons in another, etc. I
don't particularly like this method.

2.) Mix everything randomly in all four bags. Make sure that each bag
has some holy waters and scrolls of remove curse. This has the
disadvantage that it'll be hard to find something (have to look through
lots of bags), but I won't really suffer from getting cursed in the
endgame as any single bag would have all of the cures I need.

3.) Try some sort of bizarre Boh-inside-of-BoH stacking involving the
use of normal bags. I've never done this before and I'm not quite sure
how it works; I just remember hearing about it on here. From what I
gather you can use the double weight reduction to carry a hell of a lot
of stuff with you into Ascension. Optimally I'd like to try this, if
the risks aren't high, that is.

More about : millions bags holding

Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:06:38 PM

Also carrying more than one BOH is only inviting the inevitable
Anonymous
June 23, 2005 6:37:44 PM

> So simply empty them, fold them up and put them into your emergency sack
> (the one labeled "Do Not Bag" with the !oHW, /oC and ?oRC).
>
> Lars

What do cursed scrolls of remove curse do? :-)
June 23, 2005 8:55:41 PM

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Cyde Weys wrote:

> Okay, well not exactly millions, but I currently have four. I'm using
> one as a stash right now and carrying one on me as my main bag, and
> then two empty ones. However, when I Ascend, I would prefer not to
> leave any of them behind, because I lust after these damn things soooo
> much in the games when I don't find them that to simply leave them by
> the wayside when I Ascend to Demigoddess-hood would be a sin.

Take one with you. Keep some potions of holy water outside the bag in case
some caster goes insane.

Leave one as a stash.
Leave the other two standing right next to the stash, and if you must,
grab them on the way back up. They're not worth anything at the end of the
game.

There's no reason to lug around multiple bags. Especially because it's
easy to display all the potions or scrolls in a bag of mixed contents.

- Matt
June 24, 2005 1:44:45 AM

In article <1119557015.598254.314090@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>3.) Try some sort of bizarre Boh-inside-of-BoH stacking involving the
>use of normal bags.

It's not really all that bizarre.

If you want to carry of lot of loot that you would not normally take,
put it in a BoH, and when you're satisfied, put it in 7 sacks, inside
your regular bag and LEAVE IT ALONE. When you get to astral, take it
out. Seven sacks is risky, but it only has to work once, and it's
all extra stuff when you do it anyway.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:29:41 AM

Matthew Lahut <mlahut@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in
news:p ine.GSO.4.60-041.0506231652270.2024@unix13.andrew.cmu.edu:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005, Cyde Weys wrote:
>
>> When I Ascend, I would prefer not
>> to leave any of them behind, because I lust after these damn things
>> soooo much in the games when I don't find them that to simply leave
>> them by the wayside when I Ascend to Demigoddess-hood would be a sin.

> There's no reason to lug around multiple bags. Especially because it's
> easy to display all the potions or scrolls in a bag of mixed contents.

Did you not see the whole part about not being able to leave them behind?
Besides, they only weigh 15 each.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 2:30:52 AM

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote in news:h3Gue.1398$8o.51
@fed1read03:

> In article <1119557015.598254.314090@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
>>3.) Try some sort of bizarre Boh-inside-of-BoH stacking involving the
>>use of normal bags.
>
> It's not really all that bizarre.
>
> If you want to carry of lot of loot that you would not normally take,
> put it in a BoH, and when you're satisfied, put it in 7 sacks, inside
> your regular bag and LEAVE IT ALONE. When you get to astral, take it
> out. Seven sacks is risky, but it only has to work once, and it's
> all extra stuff when you do it anyway.

Why take it out at all? Can't you just leave it stacked permanently until
Ascendance? Taking it out would just cause more weight problems.

And does it have to be sacks? What about bags or oilskin bags?

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:03:51 AM

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Okay, well not exactly millions, but I currently have four. I'm using
> one as a stash right now and carrying one on me as my main bag, and
> then two empty ones.

curse one and use it as a garbage can.

> However, when I Ascend, I would prefer not to
> leave any of them behind, because I lust after these damn things soooo
> much in the games when I don't find them that to simply leave them by
> the wayside when I Ascend to Demigoddess-hood would be a sin.

So simply empty them, fold them up and put them into your emergency sack
(the one labeled "Do Not Bag" with the !oHW, /oC and ?oRC).

Lars
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:43:59 AM

In news:<Xns967EBC55AB7B42galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys
<cyde@umd.edu> says...
> fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote in news:h3Gue.1398$8o.51
> @fed1read03:
> > In article <1119557015.598254.314090@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> > Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:
> >>3.) Try some sort of bizarre Boh-inside-of-BoH stacking involving the
> >>use of normal bags.
> > If you want to carry of lot of loot that you would not normally take,
> > put it in a BoH, and when you're satisfied, put it in 7 sacks, inside
> > your regular bag and LEAVE IT ALONE. When you get to astral, take it
> > out. Seven sacks is risky, but it only has to work once, and it's
> > all extra stuff when you do it anyway.
> Why take it out at all? Can't you just leave it stacked permanently until
> Ascendance? Taking it out would just cause more weight problems.

(no idea, wizmode it!)

> And does it have to be sacks? What about bags or oilskin bags?

Here is the full relevant spoiler text for you:

---- this is spoiler space ----

---- this is spoiler space ----

----
Putting any of the following (and ONLY the following) items into any bag
of holding will cause it to explode:
(another) bag of holding
bag of tricks (with non-zero charge)
wand of cancellation (with non-zero charge)
It is sometimes possible to put one of these items into nested sacks
and/or oilskin sacks and then place them safely inside a bag of holding.
The chance of an explosion occurring then depends on the amount of
nesting:
sacks: 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 n
odds: 1/1 2/2 3/4 4/8 5/16 6/32 7/64 8/128 9/128 (n+1)/128
----

So you see that seven sacks is the optimal value, but there is still a
1/16 chance that it will explode.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung n eharq oebnqfjbeq anzrq Fgbezoevatre nggenpgf ibegvprf.

Quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
>Okay, well not exactly millions, but I currently have four. I'm using
>one as a stash right now and carrying one on me as my main bag, and
>then two empty ones. However, when I Ascend, I would prefer not to
>leave any of them behind,

I would put all the spares in your oilskin sack named EMERGENCY. You have
an oilskin sack marked EMERGENCY, right?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is Epithumia, Presuary - a weekend.

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Okay, well not exactly millions, but I currently have four. I'm using
> one as a stash right now and carrying one on me as my main bag, and
> then two empty ones. However, when I Ascend, I would prefer not to
> leave any of them behind, because I lust after these damn things soooo
> much in the games when I don't find them that to simply leave them by
> the wayside when I Ascend to Demigoddess-hood would be a sin.

By the time I've finished mines end I usually have a
few chests and/or boxes. I like to name one of them
"Ascension Kit" and keep it on my stash level. Any
items I intend to carry onto the planes. Get a spare
container and put them in it. Take them out on your
final climb to the planes but leave the extras in
your stash until then.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:36:07 PM

Lars Kecke wrote:
> curse one and use it as a garbage can.

So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.
June 24, 2005 11:59:45 PM

In article <1119641767.185792.88220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Magus Zeal <maguszeal@gmail.com> wrote:

>So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
>bag of holding?

Yeah. A gelatinous cube can eat a lot as well.
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 3:31:16 AM

Magus Zeal wrote:
> Lars Kecke wrote:
>
>>curse one and use it as a garbage can.
>
> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.

I used to dig a pit, drop the trash into the pit, and fill it with a
boulder. Though the items have not vanished in this process, they are
neither annoyingly lying around nor accessible for creatures.

You may also polypile heapss of items into golems. Or let them vanish
in the process of aquiring some useful stuff, as a side effect.

Janis
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 6:22:11 AM

In article <1119641767.185792.88220@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
"Magus Zeal" <maguszeal@gmail.com> wrote:

> Lars Kecke wrote:
> > curse one and use it as a garbage can.
>
> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.

One good way is to put them in a chest (or other container) and
polymorph it. Neat and clean and no nasty golems to deal with.

Cheers,
Art

--
Art Willis
nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com Despam to reply

On 6/24/05 3:36 PM, Magus Zeal wrote:

> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.

Why are you trying to destroy items in the first place? Put them in a
container and then walk away.

If you really must destroy items, put them in a bag of holding, then
throw in another bag of holding, wand of cancellation, or bag of tricks.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
Anonymous
June 25, 2005 11:33:22 PM

"Magus Zeal" <maguszeal@gmail.com> writes:

> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.

You could drop them in a convenient pool or moat. That's what I do
with Vorpal Blade and (in Slash'EM) wands of draining.
Eva.

--
Eva Myers, Computer Officer, Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge
Email: erm1001@cam.ac.uk WWW: http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/

Kevin Wayne wrote:
> On 6/24/05 3:36 PM, Magus Zeal wrote:
>
>> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
>> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
>> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.
>
> Why are you trying to destroy items in the first place? Put them in a
> container and then walk away.

They still use up memory (should only be a problem in the real.mode DOS
version, or when you want to carry savegames on diskettes), and IIRC
stacks with more than 32767 items (or was that the maximum number of
items on a given level?) caused segfaults.

> If you really must destroy items, put them in a bag of holding, then
> throw in another bag of holding, wand of cancellation, or bag of tricks.

I prefer polymorphing chests/sacks. They're cheaper.

Lars
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 6:21:07 PM

Matthew Lahut wrote:

> Leave one as a stash.

Don't. A stash is to put things in that you don't want other creatures
to pick up. You want to be able to put *everything* in it, without
having to worry about including bags of holding, bags of tricks and
wands of cancellation.

Also, carry only one, no matter how many or how few bags of holding you
usually find, with other characters. Your current character has never
met them, and never will, so he won't be able to brag to them about it.

--
Boudewijn.

June 26, 2005 6:23:53 PM

ihope wrote:

> What do cursed scrolls of remove curse do? :-)

They remove ball and chain, but that's all, unless you're confused, in
which case nothing happens.

--
Boudewijn.

June 26, 2005 6:25:48 PM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> You may also polypile heapss of items into golems. Or let them vanish
> in the process of aquiring some useful stuff, as a side effect.

When I polypile, I always put lots of worthless items made of the same
material on top of the pile, hoping the game will choose *these* items
to turn into a golem, and polymorph the items below.

Does this actually work?

--
Boudewijn.

June 26, 2005 6:29:29 PM

Cyde Weys wrote:

> Why take it out at all? Can't you just leave it stacked permanently
> until Ascendance? Taking it out would just cause more weight
> problems.

Correct.

> And does it have to be sacks? What about bags or oilskin bags?

There are no (identified) bags or oilskin bags. There are only sacks and
oilskin sacks (next to the two magical bags). Unidentified, they're all
"bags".

--
Boudewijn.

June 26, 2005 6:59:41 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> When I polypile, I always put lots of worthless items made of the same
> material on top of the pile, hoping the game will choose *these* items
> to turn into a golem, and polymorph the items below.

Sounds interesting. (A golem - or skeleton, BTW -, the defender of the
newly created valuable items!)

> Does this actually work?

Erm.. Shouldn't you answer that question since you regularily use that
polypiling tactics. :-) What's your experience thus far; does it seem
to work?

Janis
Anonymous
June 26, 2005 7:47:02 PM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> ihope wrote:
>
>> What do cursed scrolls of remove curse do? :-)
>
> They remove ball and chain, but that's all,

Hey, thanks! I didn't know that!

Raisse, killed by burning scrolls

June 26, 2005 8:01:06 PM

Magus Zeal wrote:

> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.

Easy is a matter of interpretation. Dump them in a pool
is easy if you have a pool, hard if you don't. Polymorph
a box/chest full of items is easy if you have the wand,
hard if you don't.

Using a cursed bag of holding makes items no longer
exist which can't be said for dumping in water or burying.
It also uses no consumable resources which all the other
mentioned ones do. But it takes plenty of tries to
guarantee the elimination of any one item.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 3:45:43 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Also, carry only one, no matter how many or how few bags of holding you
> usually find, with other characters. Your current character has never
> met them, and never will, so he won't be able to brag to them about it.

I frequently carry two for the ascension run, with holy water,
scrolls of remove curse, and other important equipment split between
them. What qualifies as "important" depends on how much inventory
shuffling I feel like doing... the uncursing supplies are the vital
part, but I usually add a wand or two of death, some wands of digging
and other utility wands, half of my full healing potions, a spare means
of levitation, a charged magic marker and some paper, and some K-rats.
Sometimes other stuff.

Doing this practically nullifies the threat of one of the bags
getting cursed, without necessitating carrying heavy potions and stuff
outside a bag of holding, and drastically reduces the encumbrance hit of
one of them getting unblessed. Together, those effects turn one of the
bags getting unblessed from an emergency "rebless it now before it gets
cursed, and stop it from Stressing me" to a minor issue that can be
handled at my convenience.

I've never even come close to putting one inside the other. I
never put *all* of my tools into my bag (unlike wands), so there's not
really much opportunity, and I'm careful and consistent about what
inventory letter I assign it, so I won't accidentally do it thinking I'm
doing something else.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

Eva Myers wrote:
> "Magus Zeal" <maguszeal@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
> > bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
> > the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.
>
> You could drop them in a convenient pool or moat. That's what I do
> with Vorpal Blade and (in Slash'EM) wands of draining.
> Eva.

Hmmm. I think the game needs some kind of subaquatic creature capable
of retrieving wands from the bottom of pools and then using them on the
player. A water-gnome..?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:47:33 AM

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>

>>You may also polypile heapss of items into golems. Or let them vanish
>>in the process of aquiring some useful stuff, as a side effect.
>

> When I polypile, I always put lots of worthless items made of the same
> material on top of the pile, hoping the game will choose *these* items
> to turn into a golem, and polymorph the items below.
>
> Does this actually work?

polyuse() does only use up enough items to make up the weight of the
golem so the extra junk does reduce the chances of the useful items
being destroyed. There's a random factor in the item selection so it
doesn't matter whether the junk is on top.

Atillo
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:41:26 PM

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005 14:23:53 +0200, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> ihope wrote:
>
>> What do cursed scrolls of remove curse do? :-)
>
> They remove ball and chain, but that's all, unless you're confused, in
> which case nothing happens.

Henceforth I will name such scrolls "divorce" after identifying them.

Hey, maybe you should be able to get rid of an unwanted nymph or succubus
by handing it such a scroll?
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 1:43:04 PM

On 27 Jun 2005 00:04:17 -0700, dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> Eva Myers wrote:
>> "Magus Zeal" <maguszeal@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> So what's the easiest way to dispose of many items? Just use a cursed
>>> bag of holding? Because I tried locking stuff in a chest, then smashing
>>> the chest open, but that didn't get rid of enough.
>>
>> You could drop them in a convenient pool or moat. That's what I do
>> with Vorpal Blade and (in Slash'EM) wands of draining.
>> Eva.
>
> Hmmm. I think the game needs some kind of subaquatic creature capable
> of retrieving wands from the bottom of pools and then using them on the
> player. A water-gnome..?

Speaking of evil ideas, what's happened to KPD? He hasn't posted recently.
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 6:15:09 PM

Quoting <dogscoff@eudoramail.com>:
>Eva Myers wrote:
>>You could drop them in a convenient pool or moat. That's what I do
>>with Vorpal Blade and (in Slash'EM) wands of draining.
>Hmmm. I think the game needs some kind of subaquatic creature capable
>of retrieving wands from the bottom of pools and then using them on the
>player. A water-gnome..?

Perhaps water trolls can do this.

[I don't know either way - just speculating]
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Tuesday, Presuary.

David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
> Quoting <dogscoff@eudoramail.com>:
> >Eva Myers wrote:
> >>You could drop them in a convenient pool or moat. That's what I do
> >>with Vorpal Blade and (in Slash'EM) wands of draining.
> >Hmmm. I think the game needs some kind of subaquatic creature capable
> >of retrieving wands from the bottom of pools and then using them on the
> >player. A water-gnome..?
>
> Perhaps water trolls can do this.
>
> [I don't know either way - just speculating]

They used to be able to, but they were prevented from doing so, because
they were hoovering up all the kelp fronds.

: "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree / That it carries too far, :
: when I say / That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea / And :
: dines on the following day." -- Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark :
Anonymous
June 27, 2005 7:44:43 PM

Quoting Ross Presser <rpresser@gmail.com>:
>Speaking of evil ideas, what's happened to KPD? He hasn't posted recently.

He went on a long bicycle tour. Perhaps he'll get a grip while he's away.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> flcl?
Today is First Tuesday, Presuary.
June 29, 2005 2:57:56 AM

In article <AOeve.946$Q75.153259@newshog.newsread.com>,
Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Why are you trying to destroy items in the first place? Put them in a
>container and then walk away.

I see you've never played an endurance game. You start wanting to
destroy stuff when you've got hundreds of pages of stuff on your altar
square.

>If you really must destroy items, put them in a bag of holding, then
>throw in another bag of holding, wand of cancellation, or bag of tricks.

But a cursed BoH is reusable.

I'm not willing to discuss whether a playing style that leads to a lot
of loot is valid or whatever. Not every character wants to "get it over
with and get to the planes". Some challenge games can go for millions
of turns. You can end up with enough keys and iron chains alone to be a
nuisance...
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:19:10 AM

On 6/28/05 6:57 PM, james wrote:
> In article <AOeve.946$Q75.153259@newshog.newsread.com>,
> Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Why are you trying to destroy items in the first place? Put them in a
>>container and then walk away.
>

> I see you've never played an endurance game.

Indeed.

>>If you really must destroy items, put them in a bag of holding, then
>>throw in another bag of holding, wand of cancellation, or bag of tricks.
>
> But a cursed BoH is reusable.

So you've got so much stuff lying around that it causes a serious need
to get rid of stuff, but you need to conserve bags of holding?

> I'm not willing to discuss whether a playing style that leads to a lot
> of loot is valid or whatever.

Neither am I.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong
June 30, 2005 7:53:37 AM

In article <ibqwe.1334$Q75.197521@newshog.newsread.com>,
Kevin Wayne <killedbyafoo@yahoo.com> wrote:

>So you've got so much stuff lying around that it causes a serious need
>to get rid of stuff, but you need to conserve bags of holding?

Just one, cursed, conveniently located, yeah. Nearly essential in
certain situations.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:02:33 PM

John Campbell wrote:
> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
>
> > Also, carry only one, no matter how many or how few bags of holding you
> > usually find, with other characters. Your current character has never
> > met them, and never will, so he won't be able to brag to them about it.
>
> I frequently carry two for the ascension run, with holy water,
> scrolls of remove curse, and other important equipment split between
> them. What qualifies as "important" depends on how much inventory
> shuffling I feel like doing... the uncursing supplies are the vital
> part, but I usually add a wand or two of death, some wands of digging
> and other utility wands, half of my full healing potions, a spare means
> of levitation, a charged magic marker and some paper, and some K-rats.
> Sometimes other stuff.
>
> Doing this practically nullifies the threat of one of the bags
> getting cursed

Carrying one BoH and one oilskin or regular sack completely
nullifies the threat of the BoH getting cursed.

> without necessitating carrying heavy potions and stuff
> outside a bag of holding, and drastically reduces the encumbrance hit of
> one of them getting unblessed. Together, those effects turn one of the
> bags getting unblessed from an emergency "rebless it now before it gets
> cursed, and stop it from Stressing me" to a minor issue that can be
> handled at my convenience.

Okay. I guess it depends on how much stuff you want to
put in the second bag. If all you put in is holy water
and whatever wands of cancellation you decide to ascend
with that isn't much weight to need reduction.

!