Why do all extinctionists seem to be wizards?

I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to be
dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
something I'm missing?

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 04:29:18 GMT
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

> I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an
> extinctionist. With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate
> on casting create monster, which as far as I know is the only
> requirement of being an extinctionist ... just create monsters over
> and over and over until you've killed 120 of each type and they
> simply stop spawning.

As long as you don't mind waiting about 30 turns between each cast.
Wizards' quest artifact gives them a practically inexhaustible Power
supply - I'm guessing that's a big part of the choice.

> And during all of his slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of
> genocide are going to be dropping, so I can genocide a lot more
> species this way.

I've altar-camped with a Wizard casting Create Monster for quite a while
(easily 1000 sacrifices) and while I've gotten some other nice goodies,
I never saw a magic marker nor a scroll of genocide. Not to say that
they can't drop or that you won't see them, but going in expecting them
is probably not good planning. Very few monsters carry tools, and those
that carry scrolls are often things like nymphs that generally have a
limited selection.

--
Todd Pytel

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 04:29:18 GMT, Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
>With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
>monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
>extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
>killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
>this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to be
>dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
>something I'm missing?

The Eye of Aethiopica.

Jove

Daniel Morris wrote:

> PW recovery is the problem faced by non-Wizards. The eye makes that a
> non-issue (as several other posters have pointed out) I still am working on
> Smith-A-Law as my extinctionist using the PW boost ability of the Mitre of
> Holiness, but it is time intensive.
>
> A neutral Valk who hasn't generated too many artifacts could wish for the
> eye and then make a play for Extinctionist i'm sure.

Well damn, I've generated waaaaay too many artifacts.

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

> I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
> With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
> monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
> extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
> killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
> this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to be
> dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
> something I'm missing?

Smart wizards don't get hungry by spellcasting, and they
can write unknown spellbooks more easily. For the rest,
no idea. High-end characters tend to look quite similar
to me, regardless of class.

Best,
Jakob

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

> I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
> With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
> monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
> extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
> killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
> this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to be
> dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
> something I'm missing?

Smart wizards don't get hungry by spellcasting, and they
can write unknown spellbooks more easily. Plus their
Quest artifact is useful (you could play a neutral class
and wish for it, of course). For the rest, no idea. High-end

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in message
>I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
> With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
> monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
> extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
> killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
> this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to
> be
> dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
> something I'm missing?

PW recovery is the problem faced by non-Wizards. The eye makes that a
non-issue (as several other posters have pointed out) I still am working on
Smith-A-Law as my extinctionist using the PW boost ability of the Mitre of
Holiness, but it is time intensive.

A neutral Valk who hasn't generated too many artifacts could wish for the
eye and then make a play for Extinctionist i'm sure.

Danny

On 24 Jun 2005 08:44:42 +0200, Jakob Creutzig wrote:

> High-end
> characters tend to look quite similar to me, regardless of class.

Well, you can usually tell them apart by charisma. :)

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <Xns967F4F6D90FA2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>,
Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote:

>I don't see a reason why my current valkyrie could not be an extinctionist.
>With her spell-casting gear she has a 0% failure rate on casting create
>monster, which as far as I know is the only requirement of being an
>extinctionist ... just create monsters over and over and over until you've
>killed 120 of each type and they simply stop spawning. And during all of
>this slaughtering some magic markers or scrolls of genocide are going to be
>dropping, so I can genocide a lot more species this way. Is there
>something I'm missing?
>
>--
>~ Cyde Weys ~
>
>Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
>Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Why does extinctionism depend on spellcasting? The player needs
patience, and the character needs to be able to go hundreds of thousands
of turns without starving to death. It's nice to be able to cast create
monster, especailly since that's the best way to determine if you've
extincted a given level.

My current extinctionist game is an elf ranger.

It just takes less patience for a wiz, since you don't have to entertain
yourself between PW recharges and don't have to worry so much about
food I guess. But what good is a challenge game if you play a character
that makes the challenge "easier?"