some noob-ish questions

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2005 3:12:23 AM

A few questions Googling hasn't helped me out with too much:

1. What's the benefit of blessed weapons or armor? I mean, a blessed
weapon doesn't do more damage, and blessed armor doesn't lower your AC
any more than normal, right? So what am I missing?

2. Is there any way to un-rust or un-corrode something? And can things
be made burnproof?

3. The stairs UP to Medusa's level lead to a room with undiggable
walls. Is there any way outside of teleporting or a cursed potion of
gain level to move upwards beyond her level?

4. I've got one ruby left, my other hard gems remain un-ID'd, I'm short
on ID scrolls, I've bankrupted all the shopkeepers willing to buy gems
on all the levels I've been to, and I'm already XP level 9. Given that
I've only gotten -4 protection in minetown, well, how should I handle
the situation so I can get more protection? (NEED $, can't afford to
gain more XP lvls)

5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?

6. What does the Wisdom attribute affect?

More about : noob ish questions

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:53:24 AM

cactus of doom wrote:

> A few questions Googling hasn't helped me out with too much:
>
> 1. What's the benefit of blessed weapons or armor? I mean, a blessed
> weapon doesn't do more damage, and blessed armor doesn't lower your AC
> any more than normal, right? So what am I missing?

- it's one step further from being cursed
- (I believe) it's less likely to be damaged by fire, water, etc. if not
foo-proofed.
- In some cases a non-blessed weapon will not work against a shade.
- if it's one of the missile weapons that occasionally vanish after use
(e.g. arrows, darts), this chance is reduced.
- others?

> 2. Is there any way to un-rust or un-corrode something?

- potions of oil will remove one level of damage from rusty weapons.
- reading a scroll of enchant weapon/armor while confused and
wielding/wearing that item will un-damage *and* foo-proof the item (for
armour, make sure it's the *only* thing you're wearing at the time, or it
will randomly pick from among all your worn armour).

> And can things be made burnproof?

Yes, as above. Another method to foo-proof armor is to read a cursed
scroll of destroy armour while confused; this will not remove any existing
damage.

> 3. The stairs UP to Medusa's level lead to a room with undiggable
> walls. Is there any way outside of teleporting or a cursed potion of
> gain level to move upwards beyond her level?

There should be a door out of the room.

> 4. I've got one ruby left, my other hard gems remain un-ID'd, I'm short
> on ID scrolls, I've bankrupted all the shopkeepers willing to buy gems
> on all the levels I've been to, and I'm already XP level 9. Given that
> I've only gotten -4 protection in minetown, well, how should I handle
> the situation so I can get more protection? (NEED $, can't afford to
> gain more XP lvls)

- why can't you afford more levels?
- you'll find more gold eventually. Good sources of $ are the magic memory
vaults "you hear the footsteps of a guard...", and Fort Ludios if it
exists in your game. There's also oodles of gold in Gehennom if you
haven't got all the protection you want at that point.
- have you enchanted your armour at all, or if you're saving your scrolls
for when you have better armour, have you tried on all the uncursed
armour you've found?

> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?

I don't think they are, but perhaps my recollection is fuzzy.

> 6. What does the Wisdom attribute affect?

Spellcasting (chance of successfully casting spells, that is) for some
classes, and perhaps some other things I'm not currently aware of.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:16:29 AM

> 3. The stairs UP to Medusa's level lead to a room with undiggable
> walls. Is there any way outside of teleporting or a cursed potion of
> gain level to move upwards beyond her level?

??? Undiggable walls is as may be (I've never tried), but there are
doors!
Are you sure you mean Medusa?

I am sure I mean Medusa... I guess I'm just dumb. Oh well, the
character with that problem is already dead!

> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?

If you got it from your god, it's rustproof. If you wished for it or
found
it lying around or bought it in a shop, it probably isn't (unless you
wished for it rustproof, of course).

I did get it from my god, so is is corrode-proof as well?

Wield the weapon you want fixed, or wear *only* the armor your want
fixed
(fix = rust/corrode/burnproof, and repair if necessary). Get yourself
confused (you know how to do that, right?) Read a non-cursed scroll of
enchant weapon or enchant armor.

Confusing myself... let's see, a scroll of confusion... what else?
Eating bad food? (spoilers welcome; the only thing that's going to
spoil the game for me is never getting any farther -- and since my last
character (a valk) was my first quest completion, my first
Medusa-killing, and my first visit to Gehenom... well, it's going to
take some advice to get farther!)
June 24, 2005 4:25:17 AM

1. What's the benefit of blessed weapons or armor? I mean, a blessed
> weapon doesn't do more damage, and blessed armor doesn't lower your AC
> any more than normal, right? So what am I missing?

- it's one step further from being cursed
- (I believe) it's less likely to be damaged by fire, water, etc. if
not
foo-proofed.
- In some cases a non-blessed weapon will not work against a shade.

!! What's a shade?

> 4. I've got one ruby left, my other hard gems remain un-ID'd, I'm short
> on ID scrolls, I've bankrupted all the shopkeepers willing to buy gems
> on all the levels I've been to, and I'm already XP level 9. Given that
> I've only gotten -4 protection in minetown, well, how should I handle
> the situation so I can get more protection? (NEED $, can't afford to
> gain more XP lvls)

- why can't you afford more levels?
- you'll find more gold eventually. Good sources of $ are the magic
memory
vaults "you hear the footsteps of a guard...", and Fort Ludios if it
exists in your game. There's also oodles of gold in Gehennom if you
haven't got all the protection you want at that point.

Higher level = higher price. But I see your point now.

- have you enchanted your armour at all, or if you're saving your
scrolls
for when you have better armour, have you tried on all the uncursed
armour you've found?

I wish I had some of those scrolls!
I did try on about 10 helmets to find my +2 Orcish.
As a side note, I *think* maybe I've found a shop with a bunch of
enchant weapon scrolls, my charisma is low and that's messing with all
the scroll pricing spoilers I've found. Math isn't my strong point,
you know -- I'm a humanities student! :p  (My spelling and grammar
errors? Those are drunkeness.)
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 5:00:31 AM

In article <1119597917.229786.256370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"cactus of doom" <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:

[ Snippage ...]

> - have you enchanted your armour at all, or if you're saving your
> scrolls
> for when you have better armour, have you tried on all the uncursed
> armour you've found?
>
> I wish I had some of those scrolls!
> I did try on about 10 helmets to find my +2 Orcish.
> As a side note, I *think* maybe I've found a shop with a bunch of
> enchant weapon scrolls, my charisma is low and that's messing with all
> the scroll pricing spoilers I've found. Math isn't my strong point,
> you know -- I'm a humanities student! :p  (My spelling and grammar
> errors? Those are drunkeness.)

Use Clippy <http://nethack.roy.org/clippy/&gt; for all your nethack
comparison shopping needs.

Cheers,
Art

--
Art Willis
nhplayer@trantor.nospam.com Despam to reply

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:48:20 +0200
Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote:

> Blessed armor and weapons have less chance of being damaged by
> rust/corrosion, and they take longer (one step more) to get cursed in
> the presence of cursing monsters. Other than that, they're the same
> as uncursed armor and weapons.

Blessed also weapons do d4 extra damage to undead and demons.

--
Todd Pytel
Anonymous

cactus of doom wrote:

> A few questions Googling hasn't helped me out with too much:
>
> 1. What's the benefit of blessed weapons or armor? I mean, a blessed
> weapon doesn't do more damage, and blessed armor doesn't lower your AC
> any more than normal, right? So what am I missing?

Blessed armor and weapons have less chance of being damaged by
rust/corrosion, and they take longer (one step more) to get cursed in the
presence of cursing monsters. Other than that, they're the same as
uncursed armor and weapons.

> 2. Is there any way to un-rust or un-corrode something? And can things
> be made burnproof?

Yes, though it's a confusing procedure :-) (spoilers below)

> 3. The stairs UP to Medusa's level lead to a room with undiggable
> walls. Is there any way outside of teleporting or a cursed potion of
> gain level to move upwards beyond her level?

??? Undiggable walls is as may be (I've never tried), but there are doors!
Are you sure you mean Medusa?

> 4. I've got one ruby left, my other hard gems remain un-ID'd, I'm short
> on ID scrolls, I've bankrupted all the shopkeepers willing to buy gems
> on all the levels I've been to, and I'm already XP level 9. Given that
> I've only gotten -4 protection in minetown, well, how should I handle
> the situation so I can get more protection? (NEED $, can't afford to
> gain more XP lvls)

As you go down you'll find more zorkmids. Have you tried finding the
vaults? Have you ever seen a treasure zoo or a leprechaun hall? Have you
been to Sokoban and emptied the zoo there? Usually,

> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?

If you got it from your god, it's rustproof. If you wished for it or found
it lying around or bought it in a shop, it probably isn't (unless you
wished for it rustproof, of course).

> 6. What does the Wisdom attribute affect?

For some classes, the chance of casting a spell successfully.

Wield the weapon you want fixed, or wear *only* the armor your want fixed
(fix = rust/corrode/burnproof, and repair if necessary). Get yourself
confused (you know how to do that, right?) Read a non-cursed scroll of
enchant weapon or enchant armor.

Raisse, killed by a lizard, while helpless

June 24, 2005 1:10:53 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> 1. What's the benefit of blessed weapons or armor?
>
> - In some cases a non-blessed weapon will not work against a shade.
>
> !! What's a shade?

Ultra-mean monster in the same class as ghost. Completely
immune to a wide assortment of attacks. Only vulnerable
to blessed and/or silver.

> > 4. I've got one ruby left, my other hard gems remain un-ID'd, I'm short
> > on ID scrolls, I've bankrupted all the shopkeepers willing to buy gems
> > on all the levels I've been to, and I'm already XP level 9. Given that
> > I've only gotten -4 protection in minetown, well, how should I handle
> > the situation so I can get more protection? (NEED $, can't afford to
> > gain more XP lvls)
>
> - why can't you afford more levels?
> - you'll find more gold eventually.

You can afford more levels. Gold gets gradually more
plentiful as you get deeper so it balances. Besides
there are plenty of other way to lower your AC.

> - have you enchanted your armour at all...
>
> I wish I had some of those scrolls!
> I did try on about 10 helmets to find my +2 Orcish.
> As a side note, I *think* maybe I've found a shop with a bunch of
> enchant weapon scrolls, my charisma is low and that's messing with all
> the scroll pricing spoilers I've found.

Yet another reason to use money to purposes other than
protection.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:32:23 PM

Plenty of spoilers available through links from www.nethack.org.

> 2. Is there any way to un-rust or un-corrode something? And can things
> be made burnproof?

Rustproof, corrudeproof, fireproof and everything else
proof are all the same attribute for different materials.
In fact, you can figure out the material sometimes when
you make a weapon or armor fooproof. Sometimes the
material comes as a surprise - elven daggers and elven
broadswords become fireproof not rustproof.

> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?

The only time a weapon is generated rustproof is at
crowning from prayer or when getting Excalibur the
other way.

Be cautioned that some materials are inherently
fooproof and it isn't obvious when you try to fooproof
an item and nothing happens. Why should silver be
immune to corrosion but not copper?

Combining these you can know for certain whether a
weapon is fooproof when it is given to you. A regular
sacrafice gift only if the material it is made from
is inherently immune which takes knowing materials.

Armor isn't given as gifts so you need to know what
starts out immune. Samurai splint mail and none
other, stuff carried by angels, stuff made from
immune materials and every other armor is not immune.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:06:18 PM

Wow, you guys are helpful. Thanks!

So, if holy water is the method of uncursing, and water clears scrolls,
how do you uncurse a scroll? Or does holy water not clear scrolls the
way it doesn't rust metal?
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:27:59 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> Wow, you guys are helpful. Thanks!
>
> So, if holy water is the method of uncursing, and water clears scrolls,
> how do you uncurse a scroll? Or does holy water not clear scrolls the
> way it doesn't rust metal?

Correct; holy water shares essentially no properties with regular water
(besides being a potion). Same with unholy water.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:32:02 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> So, if holy water is the method of uncursing, and water clears scrolls,
> how do you uncurse a scroll? Or does holy water not clear scrolls the
> way it doesn't rust metal?

Holy water moved anything cursed to uncursed, anything
uncursed to blessed. Unholy water moves anything
blessed to uncursed, anything uncursed to blessed.
Note well that 1 (un)holy water can (curse)bless
dozens of uncursed waters.

It's only uncursed water that wets.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:42:28 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > cactus of doom wrote:
>
> >> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
> >> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?
>
> > The only time a weapon is generated rustproof is at
> > crowning from prayer or when getting Excalibur the
> > other way.
>
> Hmm, I'm completely sure that I've never been given a non-fooproof weapon
> by a god.

Checking the spoilers, this is a difference between 3.3.x
and 3.4.x that I didn't know about. Sacrafice gifts are
now foo-proof. Excellent. They didn't used to be. Thanks
for the training and sorry for the obsolete information.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:48:04 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> I did get [artifact weapon] from my god, so is is corrode-proof as well?

Rustproof and corrodeproof are the same thing.

> Confusing myself... let's see, a scroll of confusion... what else?
> Eating bad food?

*Cursed* scroll of confuse monster (non-cursed scrolls will make your
hands glow red so you can confuse something you hit); potion of
confusion; non-blessed (preferably uncursed) potion of booze; trying to
cast a spell that's timed out (after ~20000 turns, marked with * in the
spell list); eating tripe will sometimes confuse you; when you eat a
fresh corpse it will sometimes confuse you (don't eat old corpses, the
chance of confusion isn't any greater and it will make you deathly sick);
umber hulks confuse you (but it's not wise to strip when there's a
hostile umber hulk around).

Your best bet as a beginner is either a potion or a cursed scroll of
confuse monster. If you find yourself confused by accident, for instance
after eating something, it pays to check if you have a scroll of enchant
<whatever> and something you want fixed.

Raisse, killed by an umber hulk

June 24, 2005 3:48:05 PM

"Raisse the Thaumaturge" <raisse@valdyas.org> wrote in message
> cactus of doom wrote:
>
>> I did get [artifact weapon] from my god, so is is corrode-proof as well?
>
> Rustproof and corrodeproof are the same thing.
>
>> Confusing myself... let's see, a scroll of confusion... what else?
>> Eating bad food?
>
> *Cursed* scroll of confuse monster (non-cursed scrolls will make your
> hands glow red so you can confuse something you hit); potion of
> confusion; non-blessed (preferably uncursed) potion of booze; trying to
> cast a spell that's timed out (after ~20000 turns, marked with * in the
> spell list); eating tripe will sometimes confuse you; when you eat a
> fresh corpse it will sometimes confuse you (don't eat old corpses, the
> chance of confusion isn't any greater and it will make you deathly sick);
> umber hulks confuse you (but it's not wise to strip when there's a
> hostile umber hulk around).
>
> Your best bet as a beginner is either a potion or a cursed scroll of
> confuse monster. If you find yourself confused by accident, for instance
> after eating something, it pays to check if you have a scroll of enchant
> <whatever> and something you want fixed.

Or if you have a few turns, use my favorite non-magical method, eat a
stashed egg, preferably one from a stack. (I'll never forget the dump with
the un-id'ed cockatrice egg on it.)

Danny
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:41:20 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:
> As you go down you'll find more zorkmids. Have you tried finding the
> vaults? Have you ever seen a treasure zoo or a leprechaun hall? Have you
> been to Sokoban and emptied the zoo there? Usually,

Ah, yes, Leprechaun halls are very good sources of money. As are those
magic vaults, especially as you go down further (where you'll find 600+
zorkmids per pile). Leprechauns aren't typically too hard to take care
of. Just blast with a line-effect spell (like Magic Missile) or an area
of effect (like Fireball/Cone of Cold with a high enough skill in
Attack magic), and you'll wipe them out within a few moves. You can
also get some pretty neat intrinsics by eating Leprechaun corpses, too,
especially if you have a certain kind of control ;)
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 4:56:56 PM

Yeah, my last character got her teleportitus from a leprechaun. They
say Tengu corpses are good for that kind of thing, but then, all the
Tengu I met were peaceful, and I didn't want to upset Tyr!
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:12:07 PM

Raisse the Thaumaturge <raisse@valdyas.org> writes:
> cactus of doom wrote:
>
> > 3. The stairs UP to Medusa's level lead to a room with undiggable
> > walls. Is there any way outside of teleporting or a cursed potion of
> > gain level to move upwards beyond her level?
>
> ??? Undiggable walls is as may be (I've never tried), but there are doors!
> Are you sure you mean Medusa?

The route from Medusa's chamber to the outer area of the level always
passes through at least one secret door.

> > 6. What does the Wisdom attribute affect?
>
> For some classes, the chance of casting a spell successfully.

And for all classes, power regeneration rate and power gain on
level-up.

: "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree / That it carries too far, :
: when I say / That it frequently breakfasts at five-o'clock tea / And :
: dines on the following day." -- Lewis Carroll, The Hunting of the Snark :
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:32:02 PM

Doug Freyburger wrote:

> cactus of doom wrote:

>> 5. Are artifact weapons generated rustproof and so forth, or do I need
>> to be careful what I hit with my Mojo?
>
> The only time a weapon is generated rustproof is at
> crowning from prayer or when getting Excalibur the
> other way.

Hmm, I'm completely sure that I've never been given a non-fooproof weapon
by a god.

Raisse, killed by a dagger
June 27, 2005 12:26:37 PM

On 2005-06-24, Magus Zeal wrote:

> Ah, yes, Leprechaun halls are very good sources of money. As are those
> magic vaults, especially as you go down further (where you'll find 600+
> zorkmids per pile). Leprechauns aren't typically too hard to take care
> of. Just blast with a line-effect spell (like Magic Missile) or an area
> of effect (like Fireball/Cone of Cold with a high enough skill in
> Attack magic), and you'll wipe them out within a few moves.

Or sneak in with stealth and a big mean blade and murder them all in
their sleep *muhaha*.

violent game, isn't it?

Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251