comedy
Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Appropriate Toys for Rangers?

Tags:
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 7:25:21 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the
Big, Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to
include for the Ranger.

Background: Everyone is 4th level, and will be 5th by the time this
portion of the story arc concludes.

I plan to design the BBEG and his Minions to be fully capable of using
the Goodies I include against the party, and they will do so.

Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.

The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He
also has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no
other Magic items.

Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
be better than a stock item or items.

Whatever we come up with WILL be equipped by and used by one of the
BBEG's minions against the party.

Thanks for any help.
DWS

More about : toys rangers

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:11:22 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Serhienko wrote:
> I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the
> Big, Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to
> include for the Ranger.
>
> Background: Everyone is 4th level, and will be 5th by the time this
> portion of the story arc concludes.
>
> I plan to design the BBEG and his Minions to be fully capable of using
> the Goodies I include against the party, and they will do so.
>
> Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
> which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
> possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.

Sounds unbalanced. Each two such effective level increases
costs only one charge of CLW from a Wand.

Also, there's a lot of virtue in having magic items that the
PCs can reproduce, as opposed to items which the GM just
pulls out of his ass.

> The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
> between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He
> also has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no

I thought Flaming Burst was +1d6 fire-flavoured damage, and
further fire-flavoured bonus damage on a critical hit?

> other Magic items.
>
> Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
> specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
> be better than a stock item or items.

The obvious thing for a Ranger to want is a weapon (in this
case a bow) that is Bane against one if hos Favouried Enemies.

But apart from that being a stock item, you also have the
problem of plausibility. Why would the Ranger's enemy have a
bow that just happens to be Bane against something which
suits the Ranger's purposes very well?

If you do want to go the custom item route, I still think
something having to do with Favoured Enemy is the way to go.

> Whatever we come up with WILL be equipped by and used by one of the
> BBEG's minions against the party.

Glad to see that you're not thinking 100% along metagame lines.

Does the Big Enemy(tm) have any Ranger minions? That would
help you out a lot, in the plausibility department...

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

> > Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
> > specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
> > be better than a stock item or items.
>
> The obvious thing for a Ranger to want is a weapon (in this
> case a bow) that is Bane against one if hos Favouried Enemies.
>
> But apart from that being a stock item, you also have the
> problem of plausibility. Why would the Ranger's enemy have a
> bow that just happens to be Bane against something which
> suits the Ranger's purposes very well?

Ooh! Ooh! I can answer this one!

It's actually logical a creature would have an item that's it's bane. A
previous enemy didn't survive their encounter. It's also possible the
current possessor of the item doesn't know its properties.


--
------
Recovering MCSE/MCT/MCP
"Until they become conscious they will never rebel, and until after they
have rebelled they cannot become conscious." -- Winston Smith, _1984_
Anonymous
March 11, 2005 3:11:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Peter Knutsen wrote:
>
> David Serhienko wrote:
>
>> I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the
>> Big, Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to
>> include for the Ranger.
>>
>> Background: Everyone is 4th level, and will be 5th by the time this
>> portion of the story arc concludes.
>>
>> I plan to design the BBEG and his Minions to be fully capable of using
>> the Goodies I include against the party, and they will do so.
>>
>> Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be
>> using, which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
>> possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>
>
> Sounds unbalanced. Each two such effective level increases costs only
> one charge of CLW from a Wand.

Good point, I'll increase the blood cost somewhat.

> Also, there's a lot of virtue in having magic items that the PCs can
> reproduce, as opposed to items which the GM just pulls out of his ass.

*shrug* Maybe so =)

>> The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
>> between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He
>> also has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no
>
>
> I thought Flaming Burst was +1d6 fire-flavoured damage, and further
> fire-flavoured bonus damage on a critical hit?
>
>> other Magic items.
>>
>> Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
>> specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom
>> would be better than a stock item or items.
>
>
> The obvious thing for a Ranger to want is a weapon (in this case a bow)
> that is Bane against one if hos Favouried Enemies.
>
> But apart from that being a stock item, you also have the problem of
> plausibility. Why would the Ranger's enemy have a bow that just happens
> to be Bane against something which suits the Ranger's purposes very well?

That kind of thing is why I'm having problems.

> If you do want to go the custom item route, I still think something
> having to do with Favoured Enemy is the way to go.

>> Whatever we come up with WILL be equipped by and used by one of the
>> BBEG's minions against the party.
>
>
> Glad to see that you're not thinking 100% along metagame lines.
>
> Does the Big Enemy(tm) have any Ranger minions? That would help you out
> a lot, in the plausibility department...

He has whatever minions it turns out I need to make the big fight
reasonable =) The party thought they were going to be fighting a thief
guild master and such, but they'll actually be facing the guildmaster,
plus a recently returned-to-life-via-blood-chaos-magic Evil Bastard and
his cultists, which can be anything I need them to be.

DWS
March 11, 2005 3:11:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"David Serhienko" <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message
news:1133g0tag6i0j71@corp.supernews.com...
<snip>
>>> Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
>>> specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
>>> be better than a stock item or items.
>>
>>
>> The obvious thing for a Ranger to want is a weapon (in this case a bow)
>> that is Bane against one if hos Favouried Enemies.
>>
>> But apart from that being a stock item, you also have the problem of
>> plausibility. Why would the Ranger's enemy have a bow that just happens
>> to be Bane against something which suits the Ranger's purposes very well?
>
> That kind of thing is why I'm having problems.

Brainstorming conceptually here without getting too much into the nuts and
bolts.... What about a bow essentially adds a rank of favored enemy? Rather
than being a bane to the specific enemy (the ranger's), it adds to the
ranger's inate ability. So, the bad guy ranger might have used it to add a
rank of favored enemy (human or whatever the bad guy selected), while the PC
ranger might use it for a rank in favored enemy (undead or whatever he
selects). Not does it get rid of the plausibility problem, but it then
increases the risk to the party in the first place, and makes the fruits of
victory that much sweeter. Limit it to a one time act of bonding per owner,
and the favored enemy feat/inate ability in the first place.

David


--
CaissaWas__SPAMHater__INTP@adelphia__ANTIV__.net without the block
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:58:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

"David Serhienko" <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message
news:1132savhuqi5i6f@corp.supernews.com...
>I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the Big,
>Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to include for
>the Ranger.
>
> Background: Everyone is 4th level, and will be 5th by the time this
> portion of the story arc concludes.
>
> I plan to design the BBEG and his Minions to be fully capable of using the
> Goodies I include against the party, and they will do so.
>
> Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
> which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he possesses,
> at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>
> The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
> between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He also
> has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no other
> Magic items.
>
> Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that specializes
> in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would be better
> than a stock item or items.

There is the Bow of the Grey Marches (from The Complete Book of Eldritch
Might) that is a strength bow for *any* strength (it automatically adjusts).
In my campaign, there is an artifact version called The Render that can turn
into a Grey Render on command...

--
^v^v^Malachias Invictus^v^v^

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishment the scroll,
I am the Master of my fate:
I am the Captain of my soul.

from _Invictus_, by William Ernest Henley
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:02:47 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:25:21 -0600, David Serhienko
<david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:


>Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
>which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
>possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>
>The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
>between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He
>also has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no
>other Magic items.
>
>Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
>specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
>be better than a stock item or items.

A recipe or magic item that allows him to manufacture superior quality
arrows (either masterwork or +1) at substantially reduced cost/time.

Eliminates the difficulty of having it used against the party, and since
the BBEG already has at least one spellcaster, a randomly useful magic item
isn't woefully out of place.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 3:02:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matt Frisch wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:25:21 -0600, David Serhienko
> <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:
>
>
>
>>Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
>>which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
>>possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>>
>>The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
>>between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He
>>also has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no
>>other Magic items.
>>
>>Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
>>specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
>>be better than a stock item or items.
>
>
> A recipe or magic item that allows him to manufacture superior quality
> arrows (either masterwork or +1) at substantially reduced cost/time.
>
> Eliminates the difficulty of having it used against the party, and since
> the BBEG already has at least one spellcaster, a randomly useful magic item
> isn't woefully out of place.

I obviously like the idea, because I have a similar goody planned for
the Fighter who is obsessed with armor and weapon smithing =)

For about ten seconds I thiought about trying to replicate the Energy
Bow in the D&D cartoon, but, um, decided no.

I just had a thought: An Archer's Bracer which does something
fantabulous. Maybe a 'uses per day mechanic' of some sort, and it has
special abilities that each use differnt amounts of uses per day.

ARCHER'S BRACER
Continuous Powers:
All Range increments are treated as one increment closer.
(I suppose this would just be a +2 to hit with bows)
Doubles Threat range when targetting favored enemy?

Activated Powers (5 uses per day)
All activated powers apply to Projectile Weapons only.

Ideas for possible Activated Powers:
True Strike Spell (Cost 1 use)
Magic Weapon Spell (Cost 1 use)
Magic Missile (Cost 1 use)
Protection from Arrows (Cost 2 uses)
Keen Edge (Cost 3 uses)

Any variant ideas/fixes/other suggestions?

Thanks to all who've replied so far!
DWS
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 5:48:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 10:00:41 -0600, David Serhienko wrote:

> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>>
>> David Serhienko wrote:

>>> Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be
>>> using, which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he
>>> possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>>
>> Sounds unbalanced. Each two such effective level increases costs only
>> one charge of CLW from a Wand.
>
> Good point, I'll increase the blood cost somewhat.

It might be better to make it Con damage, possibly with an incrementing
save, (e.g. Fort DC 10 + 2 per use since the last failed save).

--
Phoenix
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:51:09 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Malachias Invictus wrote:

>"David Serhienko" <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote in message
>news:1132savhuqi5i6f@corp.supernews.com...
>
>
>>I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the Big,
>>Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to include for
>>the Ranger.
>>
>>Background: Everyone is 4th level, and will be 5th by the time this
>>portion of the story arc concludes.
>>
>>I plan to design the BBEG and his Minions to be fully capable of using the
>>Goodies I include against the party, and they will do so.
>>
>>Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be using,
>>which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that he possesses,
>>at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>>
>>The Ranger is an archer type, and has a Magic Quiver which is a cross
>>between Heward's Handy Haversack for Arrows and Ehlonna's Quiver. He also
>>has a dozen flame burst arrows (+2d6 damage on hit). He has no other
>>Magic items.
>>
>>Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that specializes
>>in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would be better
>>than a stock item or items.
>>
>>
>
>There is the Bow of the Grey Marches (from The Complete Book of Eldritch
>Might) that is a strength bow for *any* strength (it automatically adjusts).
>In my campaign, there is an artifact version called The Render that can turn
>into a Grey Render on command...
>
>
>
I had an Archer's Thumb Ring that did a similar thing. Any bow
picked up by the wearer became a Strength Bow.

--
Tetsubo
My page: http://home.comcast.net/~tetsubo/
--------------------------------------
If fifty million people say a foolish thing, it is still a foolish thing.
-- Anatole France
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 8:06:18 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Serhienko wrote:
> Peter Knutsen wrote:
>> David Serhienko wrote:
<Re: Custom toys>
>>> Example Goody: A Blood Crystal that the BBEG's sorceror will be
>>> using, which allows spontaneous application of metamagic feats that
>>> he possesses, at the cost of d4 damage per effective level increase.
>>
>> Sounds unbalanced. Each two such effective level increases costs only
>> one charge of CLW from a Wand.
>
> Good point, I'll increase the blood cost somewhat.

I rather like using Con damage for blood loss (it's /almost/ the
standard in 3.5), one Con per free level increase looks OK, maybe one
per two.
Scales better with level (per battle at least), uses 2nd and 4th
level spells to cure, and is risky to overuse.

--
tussock

Aspie at work, sorry in advance.
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 10:32:53 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Serhienko <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> typed:

>Can anyone think of anything totally groovy for a Ranger that
>specializes in archery and wilderness awareness? Something custom would
>be better than a stock item or items.
>
>Whatever we come up with WILL be equipped by and used by one of the
>BBEG's minions against the party.

Don't think of him as too much of a one-trick pony. It doesn't *have*
to be directly archery-based to be useful to an archer. Besides, when
he hits 6th level and lets rip with his extrra attack, Manyshot, Rapid
Shot and so on, he's going to be doing some serious machine-gun work
anyway.

Is the BBEG in the wilderness in any sense? If not, his minion can't
use specifically wilderness stuff, though he could have plenty of
awareness enhancers. For example, a Bag of Tricks that holds harmless
birds that scout the area and give alarms.

Maybe a combination item that gives +4 Spot and the Far Shot feat.

Presumably you want quite a tasty item if it's the big encounter and
the end of a major arc, so you might crank it up to +5 Spot, Far Shot,
Precise Shot and Low-light vision.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:23:45 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:37:31 -0600, David Serhienko
<david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:

>Matt Frisch wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:25:21 -0600, David Serhienko
>> <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:
>>
>>

>For about ten seconds I thiought about trying to replicate the Energy
>Bow in the D&D cartoon, but, um, decided no.

This actually exists in various forms. Baldur's Gate II had the Gesen Bow
which created arrows when the string was pulled.
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 1:48:48 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

Matt Frisch <matuse73@yahoo.spam.me.not.com>, we accidentally replaced
your heart with a baked potato. You have about three seconds to live.

>On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 18:37:31 -0600, David Serhienko
><david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:
>
>>Matt Frisch wrote:
>>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 04:25:21 -0600, David Serhienko
>>> <david.serhienko@ndsu.nodak.edu> scribed into the ether:
>>>
>>>
>
>>For about ten seconds I thiought about trying to replicate the Energy
>>Bow in the D&D cartoon, but, um, decided no.
>
>This actually exists in various forms. Baldur's Gate II had the Gesen Bow
>which created arrows when the string was pulled.

There was also a bow (mentioned in Dragon magazine a while back, IIRC)
that created ice arrows made from water vapor when the string was
pulled.

Bill
--
By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may eventually
get to be boss and work twelve hours a day. - Robert Frost
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 11:30:27 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.frp.dnd (More info?)

David Serhienko wrote:
> I am about to bring a story arc to completion, and am planning out the
> Big, Final Encounter, but I'm having trouble thiking of rewards to
> include for the Ranger.

My ranger PC likes cash.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd
!