MN-510 Connection failing

Last response: in Networking
a b F Wireless
November 11, 2004 11:48:01 PM

I have an MN-500 base station and a MN-510 wireless
adapter. The connection from the PC with the wireless
adapter on it stopped working about a month ago. I've
tried everything I can think of, but I can't get it
working again.

On the wireless PC, when I float over the icon in my
system tray, it shows:
Connected to ROMRELLNETWORK, Signal Strength Very Good
However, when I try to connect to the Internet, or to a
printer on the PC that the base station is connected to,
both of those fail.

I have currently turned off Wireless Security for now, to
eliminate that as a problem. When I run the MS Broadband
Network Utility, it responds with "You are not connected
to your network." It recognizes ROMRELLNETWORK and
displays the correct Channel and no security. However,
the section at the top says "No signal". This doesn't
make sense to me, since it obviously got enough signal to
recognize ROMRELLNETWORK.

I clicked on Troubleshoot and tried the steps there. I've
reset the base station several times and but that doesn't
make any difference.

I checked the Adapter Settings. It showed ROMRELLNETWORK
with the correct Channel, and showed Connected. Address
type was "Assigned by DHCP". The IP address, Subnet and
Gateway were all listed as 0.0.0.0. I tried Renew. It
didn't make any difference.

I clicked on Available Networks. It said that security
was turned off. I checked the "Allow me to connect ..."
checkbox, then clicked Connect. Nothing happened. I
rechecked the connection and it still didn't work.

I went back to the Available Networks window again, and
the "Allow me to connect ..." checkbox was unchecked
again. I tried again, but the connection didn't work and
the option remained unchecked.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this?
What else can I do to troubleshoot this?

Thanks!!!

Kelvin

More about : 510 connection failing

November 12, 2004 9:20:53 PM

Have you installed the latest update driver for the base
station since you installed SP 2? If not, do that first.
Then, uninstall SP 2 from your second pc, and uninstall
the adapter from the second pc. Then, reinstall the
wireless adapter, using the updated wireless network
configuration wizard you'll have. After you are connected
to your network, install SP2 again. After you install SP
2, you will lose your network connection. Within the
broadband utility on the second pc, run the set up wizard
again and put your WEP in again at that point. It took me
about a week to figure all this out, but tonight I am
finally connected to my network on both computers and SP
2 with firewalls turned on is successfully installed.
Even though the broadband network says we don't need
additional firewalls, what could it hurt? Good luck and
be patient. It's great when it's working correctly.
Jake

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
November 13, 2004 10:39:22 PM

I've been having the same problem with my desktop
adapter. My card for my labtop works just fine. If i find
any info on this i will let you know.

a b F Wireless
November 14, 2004 7:23:18 PM

I have a problem - possibly the same problem:
(And thanks for posting, Jake!)

My question is: Do I need to follow the instructions in
your post, particularly about uninstalling SP2, or is
there maybe an easier fix?

I have two Win XP pcs wirelessly networked with MN-500
base and MN-510 wireless adapter. All was working fine
until I installed SP2.

Note that I have experienced no unexpected issues with
the pc attached to the base and the two pcs are almost
identical, hardware-wise.

I installed SP2 (from CD) first on the pc using the base
station and everything worked fine for over two weeks.
Then I applied SP2 to the pc using the wireless adapter
and was unable to enter the WEP key. Searching MS
KnowledgeBase, I found and followed instructions per
us;827705.

The process included reinstalling networking on the pc
using wireless. When I tried that with the original
broadband CD, I got the message that the software on the
CD is incompatible with my version of Windows. (The first
install, several months ago without SP2, had run fine.)
So, I downloaded the latest version, burned it onto a CD,
and installed that.

Since then, I've been stuck on "Incorrect Security Key".
I get that whether or not I actually have WEP enabled.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can assist!
Bob

November 14, 2004 8:42:31 PM

Unfortunately, the only way I could get it to work on the
pc using the adapter was to uninstall SP2, install the
adapter and have the network working again, then
reinstall SP2. After the SP2 reinstall, run the adapter
setup wizard and you should be okay. Be sure to do the
restarts after uninstalls and installs. Be patient.
Jake

!