Rockworth

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2002
I'm trying to reinstall XP Home on my 40GB HD and I'm running into some serious problems. Every time that I try to install, setup will begin copying the system files, and then after a short period of time, completely stop. It doesn't freeze, it merely tells me that certain files (usually .dlls or .exe's cannot be copied correctly). I'm not even using a burnt copy of XP and I'm receiving these errors. Any ideas?

rubikian

Distinguished
May 20, 2002
Check if your disk is scratched or not? If the disk is in good condition, then check if anything in your PC is loosen, eg. your RAM, IDE cables etc. I have this problem with my old P3 where one of my RAM is partially damaged.

dhlucke

Polypheme
Long shot: make sure you aren't overheating. Generally you'll get random errors. I've had it happen in Win98 and it just needed the temps to drop 2C.

<font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/ApJ/" target="_new">Forum Assassin</A></font color=red>

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
i am having similar problems, My computer was working perfectly, then one day my computer started to lock-up in games. So i decided to format my HDD's and start again. When i tried to re-install Windows (XP) i started running into all sorts of problems.

1st. Whenever i put the CD in the drive to boot off of it, it would get past the initial loading of the drivers, and try to load the windows setup, before bringing up a critical stop message and no longer proceeding, i found if i disabled the on-board RAID, this was no longer a problem, however when i first built the system the RAID controller was enabled and i had no problems.

2nd. After this in the actual copying of the files to the HDD it would bring up messages saying that it could not read certain files on the CD, so i thought, maybe the CD is stuffed, so i got my friends Windows XP cd, it did the same thing, so i thought, maybe my CD-ROM is stuffed, so i put my old spare one in and it did the same thing.

3rd. If i skip the files, and just continue without them, windows will continue the install, load once, and then never load again.

What i have tried:
I have tried using a different Windows XP CD, i have tried using a different CD-ROM, i have removed his modem and network-card, as well as disabling his on-board audio and RAID, i have tried removing one HDD, i have two in thier, and installing it to the different HDD, i have reset the bios also to no avail.

If anyone has any idea how to help me it would be greatly appreciated, this computer was working perfectly then all of a sudden it just started to lock-up, does this sound like a heat issue? it runs at around 60 degrees celcius, i tried installing a better HSF but it still runs at 60 degrees, HSF is a volcano 7+ currently, and still running at 60 degrees, i dont think a heat issue would cause all of the errors i am getting though. I also have two sunon 5000RPM case fans inside the box. Even with the case off it runs at 60 degrees, could the reporting tool be wrong? i am also using Arctic Silver on the heatsink.

System Specs are as Follows.
AMD Atlhon XP 2000+
Epox 8K3A+
256MB Kingmax DDR333
Leadtek Geforce 3 Ti-200

I am stumped, i have no idea!

:eek: <b>This is an exceptionally bas sig!</b> :eek:

psyclone

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2001
And before you ask, yes i know how to use arctic silver, and it is all correct.

:eek: <b>This is an exceptionally bas sig!</b> :eek:

It sounds like either RAM, or Power Supply, have you tested the RAM to eliminate it as a possible problem, I didn't see any mention of you testing it? You can download a RAM testing program from <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com</A> in the Utilities section.

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Possibly your RAM is at fault. I had same problem on my KX7-333R. When resetting my RAM settings conservatively as 133/Auto(Normal) on my Nanya PC2700. It ran the installation completely without incident (and faster too).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.