Sign in with
Your question
Closed

GTA IV Performance Problems on the PC

Last response: in News comments
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 10:10:04 AM

On December 2, Rockstar Games released the much anticipated PC version of Grand Theft Auto IV to both retail and digital distribution outlets. Since then, there have been numerous reports of poor performance on current systems and other problems.

GTA IV Performance Problems on the PC : Read more
December 8, 2008 10:44:13 AM

I've heard about issues from friends who bought hardcopies. And they all exceeded the recommended system specs. I find it pretty odd that all 3 of my friends that bought this game are part of that 1%. I know I'm certainly wouldn't pick it up, if I hadn't already played it.
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 10:57:38 AM

I bought it, found it pretty damn laggy on 25% settings, medium textures and high render quality.. Maybe 15-20 fps if I'm lucky.

I cracked the game, BAM, solid 30-40fps on 100% and very high render quality...
My system is hardly out of date? 3,6ghz core2duo, 4gb 1066ddr2, 88gts512(777/1008)

Runs very well, while using up a little more than 500mb video memory according to options, but only when securom has been defeated.

Am I really supposed to be punished for actually going out and buying this game?
Score
Related resources
December 8, 2008 11:01:38 AM

I have the game and here are my specs:

P5Q-Deluxe
Q9450 @ 3.85GHZ
4870 1GB @ 850/925 = 8.11 ATI CCC & Drivers
4GB= 2x 2GB G-SKill DDR2 1066 @ 1156
3x WD Sata2 160GB 16MB Cache RAID 0
SilverStone Decatholon 750W Modular
Vista Ultimate 64 Bit Service Pack 1 , all updates Direct X and all other misc. stuff..

The game has an obvious memory leak in it nd eventually my graphics start disapearing and game will lock up my system.. I would like for them to say upgrade this or that to me because I have everything done already.

Score
December 8, 2008 11:08:08 AM

asdasd246246I bought it, found it pretty damn laggy on 25% settings, medium textures and high render quality.. Maybe 15-20 fps if I'm lucky.I cracked the game, BAM, solid 30-40fps on 100% and very high render quality...My system is hardly out of date? 3,6ghz core2duo, 4gb 1066ddr2, 88gts512(777/1008)Runs very well, while using up a little more than 500mb video memory according to options, but only when securom has been defeated.Am I really supposed to be punished for actually going out and buying this game?

I find this interesting... Do I smell another law suit?? I think I do it smells like a law suit, it must be a law suit.. I am so fing tired of this god damn secur rom crap. Just fing trash it.. I swear I do not want some crap installed on my Computer that is going to trash all my hard work and all my precious time I have spent on getting my system up to date with all patches exc because now I have a god damn root kit on my PC that has just fing messed everything up.. :endrant:
Score
December 8, 2008 11:48:06 AM

And yes, I have a legal copy. I bought it from GameStop after the GameSpot downloadable version failed because of some packing error, a file was corrupted and there support number kept hanging up on me saying they were to busy to take my call and their email support takes 24-48 hours to respond so, I said f it and bought a DVD version from their store down the street from me.
Score
December 8, 2008 1:23:06 PM

I will not buy any game with SecuROM installed.
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 1:32:42 PM

terrible company!
i cant see any texture but the road, no buildings, no people, nothing!
my system is way beyonf the recomanded!
it's a very lame port, not at all.
and i think they meant 1% is not having this problems.

Score
December 8, 2008 2:29:49 PM

You know what makes me the most angry is that my controller is not being picked up by the game. I have had every other game I have played lately pick it up and work with it right away but, not this one. I think it has to do with Microsoft wanting you to buy their shiaty xbox 360 controller for the PC. I want to use my controller that I paid $50 for thank you very much. Besides for that I really do love the game even though, it needs heavy patching at this point. I want secur rom to die off already as it is the dumbest piece of shiat I have ever seen in my life. I am so supprised they haven't decided to kill this damn thing yet. QUIT PUNISHING PURCHASERS IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
December 8, 2008 2:36:36 PM

In the past, PC versions always have higher graphic quality and extra contents. In fact, that's the reason why I always wait for the PC version before I played the game. I guess they really wants to kill PC gaming.
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 2:37:28 PM

get the razor1911 crack and the game runs alot better ;) 
Score
December 8, 2008 2:50:33 PM

why are you using a controller on a PC? mouse + keyboard is much better for games like GTA4.
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 3:37:59 PM

SecureRom prevalent nature in the current crop of games despite promises to not include it by publishers makes me not want to purchase modern games ever until that stance changes. Just check the Wikipedia article on SecureRom and you will quickly see even publishers that promise securerom-free experience still put it in.

These false promises must be punished by not purchasing the game. That is the only way to send the message.
Score
December 8, 2008 3:40:18 PM

NeVeRLiFtget the razor1911 crack and the game runs alot better

I will give it a go and report back thank you.
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 3:48:18 PM

I would like to say I didn't have that problem, my specs are q6600@3.4ghz, 4gb ddr2 ram, ati 4850, 2x 500gb hd, 64 windows vista and i get playable 35-40 fps. I got the game off from steam too.
my youtube channel is www.youtube.com/vagmonster666 if you would like to check out my videos (i made 2 gta 4 vids so far )
Score
December 8, 2008 3:55:00 PM

I guess I will have to reinstall windows again then huh. Either that or Steam fixed their exe to not cause issues like that of the dvd versions. Better yet... I can just enter my key into steam and down load it that way and see if my issue go away.. Thanks, I honestly didn't think steam had it other wise I would have done that from the start.
Score
December 8, 2008 4:18:34 PM

HOT COFFEE anyone????
Score
December 8, 2008 4:19:33 PM

HOT COFFEE anyone?
Score
December 8, 2008 5:26:19 PM

I too am having major problems with the game. If you look at gaming forums and GTA fan sites you will also notice that it is clearly more than 1% having this problem. Rockstar is clearly lying.

As much as I hate SecuROM I don't think its the cause of all the problems. This is by far one of the worst ports I have ever seen and I don't think that any simple patches will be able to repair it.

Here is just a short list of problems that I get.

Sometimes get a never ending loading screen.
Shadows are horrible.
Game crashes quite often.
Low FPS no matter how low I set the detail levels.
Major Graphical glitches

And remember that's just a short list.. I think its clear that Rockstar doesn't care about the PC gamers. Maybe they figured they could release one more GTA on the PC and make a quick buck and more profits by making it such a half assed port. I won't be surprised if we don't get the next one...
Score
December 8, 2008 6:23:42 PM

Sad day for PC gamers... Sad day..
Score
December 8, 2008 6:44:38 PM

Quote:
The developers have gone on record to state that the game has been designed to be “future-proof” and that current hardware will run the game; however, as hardware improves, so will the game’s performance.

Anyone remember a particular company that released a certain game that was also "Future-proof" and that would run better and look better as PC hardware advanced?

To be honest, i don't think this is a good strategy since most PC gamers will always try cranking up their games at the maximum details and then complain about poor performance. And since a majority of these PC gamers (Or at least the ones we hear the most) have a problem playing whit "Medium" details they'll complain about poorly written code and whatever.

Rockstar may be lazy and doesn't want to improve their code and they're using the "Future-proof" strategy as an excuse.

So if your game runs slow on a mainstream computer then so it may be...but don't bring up any stupid "Future-proof" comment to cover that...one company did that and it backfired back at them.

- Tywald
Score
December 8, 2008 7:17:50 PM

TywaldAnyone remember a particular company that released a certain game that was also "Future-proof" and that would run better and look better as PC hardware advanced?To be honest, i don't think this is a good strategy since most PC gamers will always try cranking up their games at the maximum details and then complain about poor performance. And since a majority of these PC gamers (Or at least the ones we hear the most) have a problem playing whit "Medium" details they'll complain about poorly written code and whatever.Rockstar may be lazy and doesn't want to improve their code and they're using the "Future-proof" strategy as an excuse.So if your game runs slow on a mainstream computer then so it may be...but don't bring up any stupid "Future-proof" comment to cover that...one company did that and it backfired back at them.- Tywald

What company? I'm sorry if I am blind as to who you are talking about.
Score
December 8, 2008 7:31:09 PM

truehighrollerWhat company? I'm sorry if I am blind as to who you are talking about.
Could be speaking of "Crysis" from Crytek or the one I always think of is "Messiah" from Shiny Entertainment.
Score
December 8, 2008 8:00:07 PM

I laughed so hard when I heard this story... Don't get me wrong, I do wish everyone luck with their purchases, I am referring to all the hype that this game was going to be better on PC than the console version. Now we can all see that this is certainly not the case.

I have this game on my console, but honestly I prefer to play it on my computer.

The PC gaming era is not dying, they are KILLING it, with crap like securom.
Score
December 8, 2008 8:13:12 PM

LOL, 1%? Maybe 90%, every gaming site with forums have hundreds of people bashing rockstar for this.
It has nothing to do with future proofing either, Crysis' graphics KILL gta4, and I get the SAME fps on MAX as i do on bare minimum. How would those idiots exaplain that one?
Rpckstar f'ed up bad and are inventing excuses and reasons that simultaniously call us idiots.
Screw rockstar, i'm returning this game as defective software, as i exceed the reqs and weather its on maximum or bare minimum i get 9 to 21 fps from 1280x800 to 1680x1050.
9 fps on all bare minimum with an x2 @ 3.36 and 4850 with 4 gigs ddr2 = BS
Score
December 8, 2008 9:13:51 PM

People gave up on customer support when they discovered they get real answers in forums, of course the support channel isn't going to be a hotline.
Score
December 8, 2008 9:54:04 PM

the associateLOL, 1%? Maybe 90%, every gaming site with forums have hundreds of people bashing rockstar for this.It has nothing to do with future proofing either, Crysis' graphics KILL gta4, and I get the SAME fps on MAX as i do on bare minimum. How would those idiots exaplain that one?Rpckstar f'ed up bad and are inventing excuses and reasons that simultaniously call us idiots.Screw rockstar, i'm returning this game as defective software, as i exceed the reqs and weather its on maximum or bare minimum i get 9 to 21 fps from 1280x800 to 1680x1050.9 fps on all bare minimum with an x2 @ 3.36 and 4850 with 4 gigs ddr2 = BS

I read somewhere that GTA4 has a lot of objects which shaders do not do. And that is the exact opposite of the way current GPUs are or something like that.
Score
December 8, 2008 10:09:19 PM

first bully, now this crappy port -_-
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 10:34:35 PM

I cracked the game and am getting 35-40 FPS

Here's my specs

E8400 @ 3.0 Ghz
8800 GTS OC 512MB
4 Gigs of ddr2 ram @ 1066 (limited to 3.3 gigs)
XP SP3

However, i don't play the game for my than 10 minutes, because that's how long it goes before freezing and making me hard reboot the system.
Score
December 8, 2008 10:46:38 PM

Congradulations Rockstar, you had a game with the potential to sell 12 million copies on the PC similiar to SPORE, and effectively reduced it to 500k. I applaud your efforts to reduce your sales, you are really sticking it to those fat cat corporate types by saying, "Hey, we don't need customers."
Score
Anonymous
December 8, 2008 10:58:11 PM

Wow some people actually manage to play GTA IV. After a couple of hours of installation fun, I can't even get into the game, as the Rockstar Social Club software crashes when launched. This is a requirement and the game won't launch at all. Why did they make the game itself dependent on such a crappy piece of software called Social Club. Many other people have the same problem and can't even get into the game:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?act=ST&f=233&t=38068...

This sucks big time!
Score
December 9, 2008 12:49:41 AM

derek2006I read somewhere that GTA4 has a lot of objects which shaders do not do. And that is the exact opposite of the way current GPUs are or something like that.

Well that would make sense, but i'm sure having a cpu bottlenecking the gpu would have to cause that since overclocking cpu's give performance boosts.
But the specific thing is when I increase the detail, I do get better visuals, but the performance is somehow the same. I'm thinking it's badly cpu coded if anything, i'm not saying your wrong as I didn't code the game myself so I can't say, we could both be right.
I have a friend with an intel quad 2.66 @ 3ghz and same 4850 as me, and he gets in the 30's for fps rates. He has the same issue as me, weather he sets everything @ 1280x800 with all bars at 1 and both details at low or 1680x1050 + all bars at around 75% full and details at high, he gets the same fps.
I don't know about everyone else but I wouldn't call a game that needs an octo core at 4ghz+ future proofing as much as i'd call it stupid since the game isn't as spectacular as the cpu itself would be :p 
Score
December 9, 2008 12:54:11 AM

The game needs a quad, otherwise you're pretty stuck.
Score
December 9, 2008 3:21:42 AM

Bought it day one (hard copy)

Q6600 @ 3.5ghz
8gb Kingston 800mhz
Gigabyte P35
8800GT 512mb
Vista Ultimate x64 SP1
Latest Drivers for Everything

The game has been working perfect from day one, never ever crashed or had any sort of glitch so cant say iv had any issues, my system tho is tuned - disabled system restore, large page file, no bit-nx and no UAC - PERFECT, even with outdated nvidia drivers (updated cause apparenty they boosted performance which wasnt really an issue - no difference)
Score
December 9, 2008 3:27:12 AM

randomizerThe game needs a quad, otherwise you're pretty stuck.

Haha poor suckers with there slightly higher clocked dual cores will suffer here - quad cores pay off with every new game/software release - as i said on all the Dual or Quad forum posts - why bother with dual when theres quads.

HAHA
Score
December 9, 2008 4:32:55 AM

apache_livesHaha poor suckers with there slightly higher clocked dual cores will suffer here - quad cores pay off with every new game/software release - as i said on all the Dual or Quad forum posts - why bother with dual when theres quads.HAHA

Look at this:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21...
Score
December 9, 2008 5:49:56 AM

randomizerLook at this:http://www.xtremesystems.org/forum [...] p?t=210149

Nice find, we need some AMD performance numbers for a tri-core tho - that would be interesting to see.

Im hearing people trying to play it with 7600GS video cards and pentium d's and rubbish like that - "latest game" and "latest hardware" should just tick *roll*
Score
December 9, 2008 10:30:56 AM

41981685765I cracked the game and am getting 35-40 FPSHere's my specsE8400 @ 3.0 Ghz8800 GTS OC 512MB4 Gigs of ddr2 ram @ 1066 (limited to 3.3 gigs)XP SP3However, i don't play the game for my than 10 minutes, because that's how long it goes before freezing and making me hard reboot the system.

It takes mine along longer to do it but, yes mine does the lock up thing as well and that is without a crack. I tried finding the razor one and couldn't. YES PEOPLE MINE IS LEGAL just for clerification on that. I actually have two legal cd keys LMAO because the tech support for gamestop still hasn't responded to my demand of giving me my money back for the shiaty download I bought from their online site so, I have two keys. I am sorry but, again there is an obvious memory leak in the game. If I sit there and play the game for like half an hour and go to my desktop I can tell it is out of memory because it is like slooowwww..... mottttiooonnnn... then it starts clearing up after a couple of seconds "like ten seconds" and mind you this is wiht leaving the game in the back ground but, none of my games do that not even crysis does that shiat.
Score
December 9, 2008 10:33:17 AM

apache_livesBought it day one (hard copy)Q6600 @ 3.5ghz8gb Kingston 800mhzGigabyte P358800GT 512mbVista Ultimate x64 SP1Latest Drivers for EverythingThe game has been working perfect from day one, never ever crashed or had any sort of glitch so cant say iv had any issues, my system tho is tuned - disabled system restore, large page file, no bit-nx and no UAC - PERFECT, even with outdated nvidia drivers (updated cause apparenty they boosted performance which wasnt really an issue - no difference)

Shutup you lie or, as they say on youtube "FAKE".
Score
December 9, 2008 10:40:09 AM

truehighrollerShutup you lie or, as they say on youtube "FAKE".

Ummmm why would i lie? Game is flawless on my pc, simple!
Score
December 9, 2008 10:44:08 AM

and why have me and randomizer got negative scores? for information thats fact etc? gawd there are some noobs around or somethin
Score
December 9, 2008 2:44:44 PM

Yeah I'm a NOOB. Your are right on point with that let me tell yeah.
Score
Anonymous
December 9, 2008 10:09:40 PM

Its a real shame, as I remember the original GTA first appearing on the PC. San Andreas and Vice city were amazing on the PC.. And this game has the potential to be amazing on the PC also. I think people should not get too upset just yet, because I have seen games with poor performance turn into high performance games after a few patches later.. Unreal Tournament III being a prime example.
Score
December 9, 2008 10:11:14 PM

apache_livesand why have me and randomizer got negative scores? for information thats fact etc? gawd there are some noobs around or somethin

I gave you a +1, now you're neutral again :D 
Score
December 10, 2008 1:29:00 AM

Well just for clerification, I did not give him a negative. I never give any one thumbs up or down, may6be I should though I guess. I seen some one gave me a negative one hmm.. lol, might not have been him though as it wasn't me that gave him his I suppose so.. Sorry it does make me angry though I have been waiting for this for awhile now.
Score
December 10, 2008 5:50:54 AM

heh the rating system is useless - what are people actually rating? it seems if they dont like what they hear they vote against it reguardless of fact or proof etc

lol cheers randomizer

now i ask again "we need some AMD performance numbers for a tri-core tho - that would be interesting to see" - lets see how AMD scales here and if it can even haldle GTA IV and speaking of which, BACK TO MY GAME :D 
Score
December 10, 2008 8:36:54 PM

Xeon quad (Q9300 equiv 2.5GHz 6MB cache) + 3 GB memory and a 4850. I have very few problems, but slightly less performance then I would expect. I am not disappointed though. It was super stable for the first 4 hours session. I have had probably 4 times where a level never loaded (just sat on loading) and I just has task manager kill it and then I started back up and went. Vista 32 OS.
Score
December 10, 2008 8:38:46 PM

PS apache_lives :, I believe you about it running great!
Score
Anonymous
December 12, 2008 6:17:30 PM

My Spec don't work, 'drumming fingers' waiting for patch.

OS = XP Pro SP3
CPU = Q6600 (No OC)
Motherboard = Asus P5K
RAM = 2GB
Graphics Card = Asus ATI 3870 512MB
All Systems Drivers Updated

Problems Encountered:
The game sets my graphics to 1440x900 (which is my current mode in windows) game looks good but craps out with memory error, tried lowering to 800x600 in game and still craps out, textures disappearing and lockups, spec on game box states my spec is inside the minimum.

Stop flames and start helping, list your system specs working or not, come on people.

Also still waiting for Far Cry 2 Patch
Score
December 15, 2008 10:18:01 PM

specs p5ne sli mobo, gb 800 mhz ddr2 ram, core 2 quad 9450 2.66ghz, nvidia gtx 280 1gb gfx and vista 32.

After installing new nvidia driver works perfectly. before would crash when i tried to put textures on high. now runs at 25-40 fps no lag on high textures, highest rendering, sliders all maxed out except draw distance and shadow density which are about half way. running on 1680-1050 which is max for my monitor.

the shortcut command "-nomemrestrictions which i have seen reccomended made the game crash to desktop frequently, but have had no crashes since removing this command from my shortcut.
Score
!