Processor Decision

G

I'm building an AMD box with a good Asus motherboard, but I'm going to put a slower processor in it to keep costs down,m, then when prices drop I'll put a 1.33 or 1.4 GHZ processor in. For now want to know if I should put in an 800 MHZ Thunderbird, or a 900 MHZ Duron. Which will give me better overall performance?

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
I say go with an 800 Duron.. its half the price of
an 800 Tbird with nearly the same performance..
plus most people have been able to overclock it up
to 1Ghz. I think you'll still pay a premium for
the 900 Duron though. MO

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ouch. Good question. Crashman recently pointed out to me that the cache difference can make a world of difference, so I'd go with the Athlon over the Duron, even though it's at a slower MHz. Cache size seems to make a difference.

If you want to consider 'overclocking', you could take a 100MHz FSB Athlon and up the FSB to 133Mhz. That could make for a better low-cost performer.

But then, I'm assuming that you're comparing the 800 Athlon to the 900 Duron because you can get them for about the same price. If you can get the Duron for noticably cheaper, then going with that might be better.

If the opposite of pro is con, what is the opposite of productivity? Ground first.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by slvr_phoenix on 06/14/01 02:45 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

defenitly go with the t-bird the cache will make a huge difference in certian apps. if u can get the 1ghz@266 fsb. it should have the axia stepping and you'll be able to get your 1.3ghz

G

Go with the Duron 700mhz but get a FOP32-1 to go with it... the Duron 700 will cost you like 24+shipping and the fop will be 18+shipping... overclocked to near a GHZ the duron will run great for you until you decide to ditch it and get a faster AMD

That way you blow as little money as possible and can still sell the used duron back on ebay for like 20 bucks... (and believe it or not, a 1ghz Duron doesnt perform too badly)

Old addage: "Users never prosper" :eek:) Long live the tweakers

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Duron will keep your costs down, and wil offer you almost the same performance of a 850 Athlon, for day-to-day apps. If you are serious graphics user, better go for Athlon, even a 750 one will give you better performance over 900 Duron. Asus A7A266 is good, since you can get SDR for now and replace it with DDR memory later on, still lower cost of ownership :)

girish

<font color=blue>die-hard fans don't have heat-sinks!</font color=blue>

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
My gaming rig currently has a Duron800@1G in it...... I bought the processor in February for somethin' like 60 bucks, planning to get the fastest tbird my board could handle when prices came down.

But so far with the Duron I haven't felt any major need to upgrade. It performs well in all the multimedia applications I use, and gaming performance is top notch. By the time I upgrade I'll probably be getting a new motherboard as well....