YASD: I hate Rodney.

I was playing a monk, and Rodney kept duplicating himself over and over
and over again. And since, of course, Monks can't use any weapons, I
found myself being practically unable to kill him with my bare hands.

What do monks do against that jerk?

MalikGynax@gmail.com wrote:
> I was playing a monk, and Rodney kept duplicating himself over and
> over and over again. And since, of course, Monks can't use any
> weapons, I found myself being practically unable to kill him with my
> bare hands.
>
> What do monks do against that jerk?

Monks can use weapons. Or use finger of death. /oDeath are nice too (and
you should have at least one by the time you see the WoY)

--
-JH
Ascended V,A,W(x2),B,K,Ro,C,S,H,T,Ra,P

Ah, but then we have the problem of the Wizard of Yendor carrying my
Eyes of the Overworld, since he robbed me of them. Granted magic
resistance nulls those things.

MalikGynax@gmail.com wrote:
> Ah, but then we have the problem of the Wizard of Yendor carrying my
> Eyes of the Overworld, since he robbed me of them. Granted magic
> resistance nulls those things.

Yes, magic resistance makes Rodney more annoying, that's why you give him
the finger or (z)ap him before he steals anything :).

Or have some sort of a plan that involves killing him without respect to MR
(+7 Grayswandir or frostbrand or excalibur or stormbringer or....)

I've generally made it a habit to instakill him on sight, after what he did
to my first post-castle valkyrie...

--

MalikGynax@gmail.com wrote in news:1119729825.699930.158600
@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> I was playing a monk, and Rodney kept duplicating himself over and over
> and over again. And since, of course, Monks can't use any weapons, I
> found myself being practically unable to kill him with my bare hands.

Who exactly is Rodney? Is that another name for the Wizard of Yendor?
I've Ascended before but I don't remember no Rodney.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

seraphim

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in

> Who exactly is Rodney? Is that another name for the Wizard of
> Yendor?

Yes.
Spell "yendor" backwords.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Seraphim wrote:

> Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in
>
> > Who exactly is Rodney? Is that another name for the Wizard of
> > Yendor?
>
> Yes.
> Spell "yendor" backwords.

I also once heard a story about "Rodney" being the default name of the
character in rogue.

Don't know if it's true, relevant or both.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

"Jym" <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

> I also once heard a story about "Rodney" being the
> default name of the character in rogue.
> Don't know if it's true, relevant or both.

That's true - at least for the 1984 MS-DOS version that I first
played.

P.

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Paul E Collins wrote:

>>I also once heard a story about "Rodney" being the
>>default name of the character in rogue.
>>Don't know if it's true, relevant or both.
>
> That's true - at least for the 1984 MS-DOS version that I first
> played.

Wait, so Rodney's the Rogue?
What was the plot, if any, of Rogue and does it explain why he's sitting
where he is, guarding the Book?

"Sean" <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote:

> > ["Rodney" as default name in Rogue]
>
> Wait, so Rodney's the Rogue?

You get called "Rodney" in the high score table if you don't enter
anything at the name prompt. I'd imagine they just chose it as an
arbitrary default name, and presumably "Yendor" came from that.

> What was the plot, if any, of Rogue and does it explain
> why he's sitting where he is, guarding the Book?

There was no Book of the Dead in Rogue, but the original paper on it
has a minimal plot:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/loche/rogue/guide.txt

P.

Paul E Collins wrote:

> There was no Book of the Dead in Rogue, but the original paper on it
> has a minimal plot:
> http://home.wanadoo.nl/loche/rogue/guide.txt

And if you'd like to try out the game itself, go to my roguelikes site:

ftp://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/rogue

The README.txt file in that directory explains the contents of the other
files. There's an executable there for DOS, the Amiga, and the Mac.

The first is a very small ZIP archive, the second a somewhat larger LHA
archive, and the latter is a much bigger HQX archive.

There are also some manuals on rogue, there.

Happy rogueing!

--
Boudewijn.

MalikGynax@gmail.com wrote:

> I was playing a monk, and Rodney kept duplicating himself over and over
> and over again. And since, of course, Monks can't use any weapons, I
> found myself being practically unable to kill him with my bare hands.

*Can't* and *start-out-shouldn't* are two very different
things until you've done a few ascensions. Your diety
likely gave you weapons at some points during the game,
and at that time you skill slots for those weapons got
opened.

> What do monks do against that jerk?

Artifact weapons given as gifts may be a shouldn't issue
but they aren't a can't issue. Other than that spells
work well. Missiles work well against many monsters.
They are insufficient to kill Rodney but any damage
that's inflicted remotely is still damage that does not
need to be done face to face. All in all, spells and
wands are best, missiles followed by artifacts next,
and notice that you did write "practically unable".
Martial arts aren't worthless. Especially not after
Rodney's been softened up with every remote attack in
the book before he gets to you.

MalikGynax@gmail.com writes:

> I was playing a monk, and Rodney kept duplicating himself over and over
> and over again. And since, of course, Monks can't use any weapons, I
> found myself being practically unable to kill him with my bare hands.
>
> What do monks do against that jerk?

Die, or use wands/finger of death. Monks have a hard time
against the prime nasties, and hence should try to get good
death-zapping powers.

Best,
Jakob

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>>And if you'd like to try out the game itself, go to my roguelikes
>>site:
>
>>ftp://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/rogue
>
> Just replacing ftp by http works even better:
>
> http://roguelikes.sauceforge.net/pub/rogue

Oh, thanks! I tried it a while back, though. Starved to death a few
times. Good fun. Think I'll stick to Nethack a while longer, though.