Passmark benchmark program

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I was wondering if anyone has used the Passmark Performance Test to benchmark their computer. It's a quick benchmark that tests all the major systems on your computer. You can get a 30 day trial version at <A HREF="http://www.passmark.com" target="_new">http://www.passmark.com</A>. Any opinions on whether it's worthwhile or is it just junk?

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

G

I tried it.. used it find out what memory and fsb settings where ideal. Its nice and fast, however there is a substantial difference between different test runs.. making it unreliable in my eyes.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
hey, got around to checking the STR thing. My mobo
only has one setting.. probably 1, because all my
fans keep running.. *shrug*

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

G

I think this STR thread is kinda .. hmm.. spread over a small dozen of other threads.. hard to keep up :)

I just looked up in my MB manual. Seems there is no "STR1"; only S1 (POS) and S3 (STR).

I quote:"S1 sleeping state is low wake-up latency sleeping state. In this state, no system context is lost (cpu or chipset) and hardware maintains all system context"

"S3 state is a low wake-up latency sleeping state where all system context is lost except system memory. CPU, cache, and chipset context are lost in this state. Hardware maintains memory context and restores some cpu and L2 configuration context"

Not sure what it means though. I think in STR (S3) the cpu is shut down, and all the data in its registers, caches, etc is kept in ram. Not sure how that would work though , if all your ram is already used...

anyway, got a response from Enermax. There looking into it.

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Thanks for that bit of info. How big was the variance you experienced, if you don't mind me asking? I'd still be interested in comparing scores just to get a general idea of how my system is performing.

Did you look at any of the baseline scores for various systems that are included? I'm wondering why the baseline Athlon 1100 beats my 1200 in all the processor tests. I'm assuming that it was overclocked, but they don't tell you that anywhere, just "Athlon 1100." Also, I'm wondering how accurate the disk scores are for my RAID 0 setup.

Do you know of any other good benchmarking programs, other than 3DMark? I don't really trust SiSoft Sandra that much.

I don't know how to get my results on the board.

If you PM me with your e-mail address, I'll send you the gif picture of the results.

<b>
"Now drop your weapons or I'll kill him with this deadly jelly baby." :wink:
</b>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Hey, thanks, I'll do that. If anyone's interested, I got a cumulative score of 242.1 with the following system:

AMD 1200@1200/266
Asus A7M266
256MB PC2100
Hercules 3D Prophet II GTS Pro
2 x 40 GB W. Digital ATA100 in RAID 0
Promise FastTrak100 RAID controller

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
have you tried HDTach??
you can download it <A HREF="http://www.tcdlabs.com/hdtach.htm" target="_new">here</A>

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Thanks for the link. I've tried it before and it crashed my system, but I think it was because of the autoinsert notification problem they mention on their website. I'm going to give it another try. Anybody know if it has any problems with RAID or Promise RAID controllers in particular?