YAAI (unicorn horns)

Hi,

I had an idea to make the unicorn horn less effective than it currently
is.

In my opinion, the unlimited use of the horn is way too unbalancing,
even if even a blessed one has a chance of failure. Especially the
restore stat ability is too strong, I think.

What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical stats
(Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha). I think this
would fit in with mythological backgrounds.

--
Boudewijn.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I had an idea to make the unicorn horn less effective than it currently
>is.
>
>In my opinion, the unlimited use of the horn is way too unbalancing,
>even if even a blessed one has a chance of failure. Especially the
>restore stat ability is too strong, I think.
>
>What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical stats
>(Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha). I think this
>would fit in with mythological backgrounds.

Interesting, but I would also put a charge counter on unicorn horns, max
about 12 sounds good. NON rechargable.
(This makes you feel good --more---
your unicorn horn disintegrates/disappears in a puff of smoke/glows
briefly and disappears
Or to put another twist on it, a foo proofed horn would restore Int,
Wis, Cha; but on those three. A non foo proofed horn would restore Str,
Dex, Con.

On Sun, 26 Jun 2005, Gary Olson wrote:

> Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> >What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical stats
> >(Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha). I think this
> >would fit in with mythological backgrounds.

> Or to put another twist on it, a foo proofed horn would restore Int,
> Wis, Cha; but on those three. A non foo proofed horn would restore Str,
> Dex, Con.

Or the stat(s) restored would depend on your confused/hallucinated/stuned
state ?
Well, if the unihorn did not fixed *that* first, of course.

Indeed, cutting down the restoring power of unihorn will make potions and
spell or restore ability much more usefull. I always found it rather
pathetical to have monk 'special spell' and 'crowning gift' being
something globally useles when your level is high enough to use it.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an idea to make the unicorn horn less effective than it currently
> is.
>
> In my opinion, the unlimited use of the horn is way too unbalancing,
> even if even a blessed one has a chance of failure. Especially the
> restore stat ability is too strong, I think.

One minor tweak I would do would be to make stat loss through abuse
reduce the max value of the stat as well so it couldn't be restored
through unihorn or any other restore ability. Restoration should only
work for stat "damage", not for the results of lack of exercise.

Atillo

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com wrote:
> Interesting, but I would also put a charge counter on unicorn horns, max
> about 12 sounds good. NON rechargable.

I think if it's going to be a chargeable item, it should be
rechargeable. AFAIK, the only currently non-rechargeable item is a WoW
- a unicorn horn isn't even in the same league.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

me@privacy.net wrote:
> garyolson@pobox.NOSPAM.com wrote:
> > Interesting, but I would also put a charge counter on unicorn horns, max
> > about 12 sounds good. NON rechargable.
>
> I think if it's going to be a chargeable item, it should be
> rechargeable. AFAIK, the only currently non-rechargeable item is a WoW
> - a unicorn horn isn't even in the same league.

Ignore that, it's early in the morning and my brain isn't working on all
four cylinders yet. Of course a WoW *is* chargeable!

Ahem.

-- A.

--

Alexis wrote:

> I think if it's going to be a chargeable item, it should be
> rechargeable. AFAIK, the only currently non-rechargeable item is a
> WoW
> - a unicorn horn isn't even in the same league.

Actually, the wand of wishing is rechargeable, but only once. So it is
indeed an exception to other items, except for the magic marker, which
is *also* rechargeable only once.

All other chargeable items may be recharged more often, although the
chance of it not succeeding will be greater every time.

--
Boudewijn.

"Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
- Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
<snip>
> Hmh.. Mindflayers would be even more scary then. How about not
> allowing stat restoring at all? There are potions of restore
> ability already, which by now are not that useful.

Yeah, and the spell as well. People find those pretty useless right
now. The change will make them a bit more coveted.

-K

"Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I had an idea to make the unicorn horn less effective than it currently
> is.
>
> In my opinion, the unlimited use of the horn is way too unbalancing,
> even if even a blessed one has a chance of failure. Especially the
> restore stat ability is too strong, I think.
>
> What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical stats
> (Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha). I think this
> would fit in with mythological backgrounds.

Hmh.. Mindflayers would be even more scary then. How about not
allowing stat restoring at all? There are potions of restore
ability already, which by now are not that useful.

Best,
Jakob

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had an idea to make the unicorn horn less effective than it currently
> is.
>
> In my opinion, the unlimited use of the horn is way too unbalancing,
> even if even a blessed one has a chance of failure. Especially the
> restore stat ability is too strong, I think.
>
> What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical stats
> (Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha). I think this
> would fit in with mythological backgrounds.

Say, how about an artifact-like timeout on the beastie? Just enough that
you won't be relying solely on the 'horn for healing during combat. Any
takers?

Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:

>> What I would propose is to have it restore only the three physical
>> stats (Str, Dex, Con), *not* the mental stats (Int, Wis, Cha).

> Hmh.. Mindflayers would be even more scary then.

Especially since the restore ability spell will also have become
useless when your intelligence has dropped considerably.