A co-aligned priest is pissed and has my stash! Help!

Yeah, this is one of those moronic things that I should have been
prepared to deal with. Or prepared enough to not have it happen.

I just moved my stash to level 16, in a co-aligned priest's temple. I
figured it'd be the best place to keep it. That was before I
accidentally poked the priest with Stormbringer. Oops.

Now he's pissed. I can get to my stash, loot real quick, and run away
before I completely die, but he curses my things a few times before I
make it back out. I could just kill him, but that would incur the
wrath of God, and not to mention it really isn't nice.

I've tried a blessed scroll of taming, and that didn't work. My next
idea is just to teleport my stash out with a wand - too bad I don't
have a wand. (Luckily it's all in a single chest, so it should all
stay together if I give it a zap.

Is it possible to "tame" the priest back to being peaceful, and the
scroll-reading was just a bad roll? And given that I only have one
idea to fix this that I'm not equipped to perform, does anybody have
any other ideas?

I don't want to kill the priest, but I can lock the doors and just
leave him behind for the rest of the game, that won't faze me too bad.

edwin

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:
> I just moved my stash to level 16, in a co-aligned priest's temple. I
> figured it'd be the best place to keep it. That was before I
> accidentally poked the priest with Stormbringer. Oops.
> (...)
> I don't want to kill the priest, but I can lock the doors and just
> leave him behind for the rest of the game, that won't faze me too bad.

If it's the god anger you're worried about, you could get a powerful
pet to kill the priest for you, or use conflict and a powerful non-pet.

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:

> I just moved my stash to level 16, in a co-aligned priest's temple. I
> figured it'd be the best place to keep it. That was before I
> accidentally poked the priest with Stormbringer. Oops.

At this point you need to decide on your trade off.
Pay the price of killing the priest and then do enough
sacs and prayers to make up for it, or pull your stash
bit by bit, or lock the door and get more stuff.

> Now he's pissed. I can get to my stash, loot real quick, and run away
> before I completely die, but he curses my things a few times before I
> make it back out. I could just kill him, but that would incur the
> wrath of God, and not to mention it really isn't nice.

Down one method, check.

> Is it possible to "tame" the priest back to being peaceful, and the
> scroll-reading was just a bad roll? And given that I only have one
> idea to fix this that I'm not equipped to perform, does anybody have
> any other ideas?
>
> I don't want to kill the priest, but I can lock the doors and just
> leave him behind for the rest of the game, that won't faze me too bad.

Dead priests are peacefull priests. All of the prices
can be made up with less effort than finding new replacement
items. So if you do want to kill the priest, I recently
posted how to do that without much risk. It's a bit
tedious but not particularly difficult. It does not
involve using Stormy.

If you did have a wand of teleportation, using Stormy
on a priest outside of his shrine, but doesn't MR make
teleportation not work? I haven't checked that and I
know some priests have MR instead of robes. I prefer
the less risky method once I've decided to kill the
priest and pay the price.

delcantheodd@msn.com writes:

> Yeah, this is one of those moronic things that I should have been
> prepared to deal with. Or prepared enough to not have it happen.
>
> I just moved my stash to level 16, in a co-aligned priest's temple. I
> figured it'd be the best place to keep it. That was before I
> accidentally poked the priest with Stormbringer. Oops.
>
> Now he's pissed.

I'd go for the old /oSleep trick.

Best,
Jakob

Problem has now been solved. After completing the ranger quest, I came
out of the whole quest section with TWO wands of teleportation. I
could line up the chest containing all my stuff without even entering
the temple - one zap took care of everything. I've got my stash tucked
away in a much safer place now. *grin*

One question is still bugging me though... CAN a scroll of taming
pacify a pissed priest, if that's all you've got on you?

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote in news:1119903739.980602.75700
@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> One question is still bugging me though... CAN a scroll of taming
> pacify a pissed priest, if that's all you've got on you?

Wizmode test had me pissing off a minetown priest, I read an uncursed
scroll of taming and the priest became peaceful. YMMV. Aren't some priests
generated wearing cloaks of magic resistance? That would put a damper on
any attempts to pacify the clerics.

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:
> I don't want to kill the priest, but I can lock the doors and just
> leave him behind for the rest of the game, that won't faze me too bad.

You could always polymorph the priest.

Pete de Zwart.

--
Pete de Zwart BCompSc (SDS)
de Zwart Networks, http://dezwart.net.au/~pete/

Haakon Studebaker wrote:
> delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:
>
> > One question is still bugging me though... CAN a scroll of taming
> > pacify a pissed priest, if that's all you've got on you?
>
> Wizmode test had me pissing off a minetown priest, I read an uncursed
> scroll of taming and the priest became peaceful. YMMV. Aren't some priests
> generated wearing cloaks of magic resistance? That would put a damper on
> any attempts to pacify the clerics.

Generating priest armor is done like this:

} else if (ptr->msound == MS_PRIEST ||
quest_mon_represents_role(ptr,PM_PRIEST)) {
(void) mongets(mtmp, rn2(7) ? ROBE :
rn2(3) ?
CLOAK_OF_PROTECTION :

CLOAK_OF_MAGIC_RESISTANCE);
(void) mongets(mtmp, SMALL_SHIELD);

The code for the sheild is there, for the mace is elsewhere.

Looks like 18/21 change of a robe, 2/21 protection,
1/21 MR. Of course in a game that depends on it not
being MR we all know how the RNG acts.

delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:

> I've got my stash tucked away in a much safer place now. *grin*

Let me guess.

It ended up in a shoppe, didn't it? :)

--
Boudewijn.

"Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
- Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> writes:
> > delcantheodd@msn.com wrote:
> >
> > > I've got my stash tucked away in a much safer place now. *grin*
> >
> > Let me guess.
> >
> > It ended up in a shoppe, didn't it? :)
>
> There can't be both a shop and a temple on the same non-special level.

Ah, but perhaps it landed on a trap door and fell through into a shop
on the floor below...

Haakon Studebaker <heptapod@gmail.com> writes:
> delcantheodd@msn.com wrote in news:1119903739.980602.75700
> @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
>
> > One question is still bugging me though... CAN a scroll of taming
> > pacify a pissed priest, if that's all you've got on you?
>
> Wizmode test had me pissing off a minetown priest, I read an uncursed
> scroll of taming and the priest became peaceful. YMMV. Aren't some priests
> generated wearing cloaks of magic resistance? That would put a damper on
> any attempts to pacify the clerics.

No, it wouldn't. The magic resistance intrinsic doesn't protect a
monster against the effects of a scroll of taming (though the magic
resistance saving throw does; aligned priests have 50% base).

: "Hi! I'm Prozac the Bear!" :
: -- Prozac the Bear, "Triangle and Robert" :

After going to <http://tinyurl.com/2tnqw>
delcantheodd@msn.com wrote

>Problem has now been solved. After completing the ranger quest, I came
>out of the whole quest section with TWO wands of teleportation. I
>could line up the chest containing all my stuff without even entering
>the temple - one zap took care of everything. I've got my stash tucked
>away in a much safer place now. *grin*

Is it in a vault?

>One question is still bugging me though... CAN a scroll of taming
>pacify a pissed priest, if that's all you've got on you?

--
no, i didn't forget the 'F's
http://www.geocities.com/jerk_o2002

A little belated, since I've now gotten this ranger down way into
Gehennom and have thus abandoned the stash...

The portal to Fort Ludios was on the same floor as the temple - I just
hauled the entire chest and its contents into the Fort and left it
there. I figured if any guards came to question me I'd just show them
my credentials.*

(* - "Credentials" in this context meaning "Stormbringer".)