Sign in with
Your question

One thing I can say about Advanced Micro Devices

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2001 3:58:43 PM

Its a company that has earned our respect.

I look back in the past 5-6 years and i can remember when i got my first K5-75, it was awsome and i wanted to try something new. All i was told is its crap, junk etc...

I took a chance and all the AMD processors i bought, in some way.... helped AMD become what they are today.. I was one of the original ppl who supported them, and now look at the company. It has even earned the respect of many Intel users and converted many many ppl over.

Intel never needed my hard earned money, they always have been the big guys, but when you invest in a company by supporting them and there product, think about it.

All the people who bought those k5's and k6's etc..
those helped create what we have today... Kickass fast awsome processors...

I can remember being flamed for even using AMD, and i never had any problems myself, but i mean it worked, and got the job done.

You can flame me all u like, but... one thing is for sure, AMD is a comany that has earned the respect of many people, they had to earn it, not have it automatically respected like Intel has. Its a company that started out at the bottom and even almost died... then came back and look at them today. Its quite a cool story if u think about it.

Intel i dont have respect for, Intel makes a great processor, but for me. i wont spend more money, for a inferior product.

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
June 15, 2001 4:10:21 PM

The K5 blew. Now, the K6 and K6-2 were pretty good. I still got my K6 233 somewhere around here...

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"
June 15, 2001 4:47:04 PM

If you wont spend money on an inferior product then why did you buy the K5's-K6's. AMD had a inferior processor until the Thunderbird. Only in the past 2 years has AMD actually begun to innovate instead of imitate. My first AMD chip was only 100mhz. I've stuck with them one way or another since. But in terms of respect it's always had more for Intel. AMD was like a leech sucking off of Intel until they were fat enough to do something on their own. That doesn't get my respect. But I dont buy products due to lack of respect of a company.

Many people believe that AMD is actually cares about them. That's why they charge less for their processors. It's buisness folks. If AMD was on top they would act the same way as Intel. If your on top you do just about anything to stay there. If you dont you get eaten up. If you want to talk about who helped AMD become what they are today, thank the Federal Government.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2001 4:47:23 PM

what was bad about the k5?

my k5- 133 was awsome

--call it what you wish, with this machine I can make mercury flow in 3 directions at once--
June 15, 2001 5:26:36 PM

"I took a chance and all the AMD processors i bought, in some way.... helped AMD become what they are today.. I was one of the original ppl who supported them, and now look at the company. It has even earned the respect of many Intel users and converted many many ppl over."

LOL.....yup, sure buddy, you are the reason AMD exists today.

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned in life: It goes on." -Robert Frost
June 15, 2001 5:55:58 PM

In comparison to the Pentium- it blew. It was slow! Based on a highly clocked 486 core.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"
June 15, 2001 6:18:28 PM

ROFL, you guys arguing what models sucked. your all right!
June 15, 2001 6:48:50 PM

Yeah, I don't understand why people defend AMD like it was there mother. Believe me, if AMD could charge more for their processors..THEY WOULD. Ya know why they aren't....because nobody would pay more for them.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2001 6:54:03 PM

How about a rewrite....

Yeah, I don't understand why people defend AMD OR INTEL like it was there mother. Believe me, if AMD OR INTEL could charge more for their processors..THEY WOULD. Ya know why they aren't because nobody would pay more for them.

<font color=red>AMD Lemmings, Intel Lemmings - They all taste like chicken....</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 15, 2001 7:05:53 PM

Yup, amd cuts cost in quality to sell there processor cheap. Look at this the tbird 1ghz will have a resale value like a 1982 honda civic bad quality wont last long.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !
June 15, 2001 7:14:26 PM

You have got to be the same aceman, tbirdinside7, idiot that's been wandering around here for a while. Just keep posting like a moron and you'll get banned quick enough.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.
June 15, 2001 8:20:09 PM

I hear you man. I built both AMD and INTEL 486s...back in the day. I don't remember the INTELs being any better at running my apps. For a while INTEL had the edge with PII.
But i've built 486, PI/PII, K6-X, PIII, K7, T-BIRD....etc
And right now my money stands with AMD. I stopped building
PIII when the 600 was new. Until INTEL can get it's head out the orifice on it's backside and come up with something
both innovative and cost effective....it's AMD brother.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 06/15/01 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 15, 2001 10:34:33 PM

Hehe... you must be loving this FUGGER.

-MP Jesse

"Signatures Still Suck"
June 16, 2001 12:18:54 AM

Well,

AMD does build some great cpu's. I still have a K6-2 400 (gave it to my Wife) that runs 24/7 and never had a problem with it since I bought it new in 98.

If only we could get a good stable, reliable, cost effective chipset to run them on, we'd be all set.

i820 + i840 w\SDRAM Aside, Intel sill makes the best chipsets, PERIOD !!

"This was no boating accident"
June 16, 2001 7:40:13 PM

I think what he meant is if it wasnt for people like him who stuck with amd through the hard times for them they might not have a processor thats equal to intel or better.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 16, 2001 10:29:47 PM

Quote:
Yup, amd cuts cost in quality to sell there processor cheap. Look at this the tbird 1ghz will have a resale value like a 1982 honda civic bad quality wont last long.

Yup, just like the P3 1.13 Ghz, P4 1.4, and the P4 1.5
Just like everything will have a resale value of nothing a few years. I've got Intel 486's that won't sell for anything, and thats how everything will be in about 3 years. If moores law holds up, we'll be at 5 Ghz and 1.5 Ghz will seem like a snail.

And honda civics aren't bad quality. They keep on going, and going, and going....Until they fall apart. (that takes about 10 to 20 years, though.)

Aklein

It's raining outside, and my lawn has grown a foot overnight!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 17, 2001 11:09:00 AM

My first cpu was a cyrix 33mhz(386), than i had a cyrix 40mhz(486), than an intel 100mhz(486)....
But i found that in those times the cyrix processor was the leader, not intel or amd, a lot beeter than the intel processors, i have a lot of respects for cyrix, but now cyrix is at low end processor with theire c3, and intel took the market when they released the pentium processor, they continued to be the leader with the p2 and the p3, but now amd has kicked intel ass, and took its place with the good performence/price/quality athlon processor.
I have a lot lot lot of respect for cyrix and for amd, and my respect for intel has gone with what they trying to do, attrackting peaple with theure overpriced slow processor.
My next system will be an athlon system.
June 17, 2001 10:30:07 PM

Hahahahahah
thats funny cuz I [-peep-]' HATE HONDA'S!!!!
What'd with these kids these day's and Honda Civics???

-MeTaL RoCkEr

AMD = Always Making Dough... =)
!