Sign in with
Your question

How to set password to prevent sleeping or shutting down computer

Last response: in Windows 7
January 22, 2013 2:58:42 AM

I would like to know if there is a way to set a password to stop others from sleeping or shutting down my laptop either through windows or a programs.

a b 8 Security
a c 204 D Laptop
a c 352 $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 1:08:34 PM

You can setup group policies which only allow certain accounts to do what you want.

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disabl...

Make sure you know what you are doing with this, you can lock down the computer so well even the administrator account can't do anything.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 1:16:03 PM

what happened when they hit the power button?
m
l
Related resources
January 25, 2013 11:05:13 PM

i just dont want people to shut down my computer when im not sitting in front of it
m
l
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:25:55 PM

you cant. the power button overrides all passwords.
yes you can stop users from shutting the system down/sleep via windows by setting up a user account. but really what you want to do cant be done because you cant disable the power off button.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 25, 2013 11:44:46 PM

HEXiT said:
you cant. the power button overrides all passwords.
yes you can stop users from shutting the system down/sleep via windows by setting up a user account. but really what you want to do cant be done because you cant disable the power off button.

There is actually an option to do that. It's a rarely used option but it is indeed possible :) 

airplanegeek said:
i just dont want people to shut down my computer when im not sitting in front of it

Take a look HERE in regards to how to change what the power button reacts when it's pressed. There is also a secondary thread in that link that will guide you through removing the hibernate and stand-by buttons entirely.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Local group policy is only available in Windows 7 versions Professional and above. This option does not exist for Starter or Home Premium.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a c 204 D Laptop
a c 352 $ Windows 7
January 29, 2013 11:54:03 AM

airplanegeek said:

I think the first step here is why you need to worry about this in the first place. If you have roommates, just tell them not to shut down the computer.
m
l
!