weapon enchantment: what would you do?

Last response: in Video Games
June 27, 2005 9:29:08 PM

Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon
1 +0 Frost Brand
1 +0 Blessed Mojo
18 Str and no Gauntlets of power.

She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

More about : weapon enchantment

Anonymous
June 27, 2005 10:48:31 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
> 4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon
> 1 +0 Frost Brand
> 1 +0 Blessed Mojo
> 18 Str and no Gauntlets of power.
>
> She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

If it were me, I'd bless them and enchant Frost Brand, and possibly use
leftovers on MJ for a backup weapon. I don't like MJ as much; it seems to
do more damage to items in monsters inventories than FB, and less damage to
the monsters themselves...

Stylistically, a Valk may prefer MJ, however.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:33:54 AM

cactus of doom wrote:

> Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
> 4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon
> 1 +0 Frost Brand
> 1 +0 Blessed Mojo
> 18 Str and no Gauntlets of power.
>
> She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

Without Gauntlets of Power you can't throw Mjollnir so I would prefer Frost
Brand first. Later you can easily enhance Mjollnir, too.
June 28, 2005 10:48:19 AM

cactus of doom babbled on for HOURS on 27 Jun 2005:

> Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
> 4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon
> 1 +0 Frost Brand
> 1 +0 Blessed Mojo
> 18 Str and no Gauntlets of power.
>
> She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

Personally, I would bless them, then use 2 to enchant Mojo to see what plus
it gets to. Depending on that result, I would then use one more on Mojo,
or use the remainder on Frost Brand.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 1:57:57 PM

cactus of doom wrote:

> Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
> 4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon

Any way you can get these blessed, do it.

> 1 +0 Frost Brand
> 1 +0 Blessed Mojo
> 18 Str and no Gauntlets of power.
>
> She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

Mojo does shock damage without doubling. Frosty
does double damage to everyone not cold resistant.
That gives Frosty the advantage once it is
enchanted enough to overcome the 20ish points of
shock damage. Bascially if you manage to bless
those 4 scrolls, you'll be able to max out Frosty
and still has some for Mojo.

Considering any monster that's immune to both,
Forsty is still a nice long sword and Mojo is
still a weak war hammer.

Further advantage of Frosty - I think you can
trim enchantment levels off of it by engraving
on the floor. Mojo is blunt so you need a specific
spell to acheive that.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:32:35 PM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> james wrote:
>
> > I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
> > water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.
>
> You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?

Up until 3.4.0 gifts were not automatically rustproofed
so long time players might not have learned of this
new feature yet. I only learned of it this week.

Also artifacts still aren't automatically fixed. Gifts
from sacraficenow, crowning and dipping have been for a
while. Artifacts from wishes might be depending on the
details. Ones from naming and random on the floor aren't.
There are a few other ways that I think have been
supplying fixed for longer than 3.3.0: angels and player
monsters in the planes.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:33:50 PM

Janis Papanagnou wrote:

> james wrote:
>> In article <1119918548.661384.204920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> cactus of doom <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.
>> I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
>> water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.
>
> You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?

How do you know it's rustproofed? The OP never mentioned how it was
obtained. If it was a divine gift, it will be rustproof, but not if it was
just found lying around.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
June 28, 2005 9:46:16 PM

In article <1119918548.661384.204920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
cactus of doom <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:

>She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:05:33 AM

james wrote:
> In article <1119918548.661384.204920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> cactus of doom <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.
>
> I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
> water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.

You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?

Janis
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:59:23 AM

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>>james wrote:

>>>I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
>>>water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.
>>
>>You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?
>
> How do you know it's rustproofed? The OP never mentioned how it was
> obtained. If it was a divine gift, it will be rustproof, but not if it was
> just found lying around.

You and Doug have a valid point.

But the fact that he has mentioned _two_ artifacts made me assume the most
likely source for it.

And the unconditional suggestion of james is also subjected to the origin
of the artifact. So don't follow it unless you have the rare condition that
you found it. (A successful wish would anyway go for a rustproof weapon.)

Janis
June 29, 2005 8:04:19 AM

In article <d9s3he$uhd$1@online.de>,
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>james wrote:
>> In article <1119918548.661384.204920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>> cactus of doom <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.
>>
>> I'd probably stash the hammer, put 3 scrolls in my bag until I had holy
>> water, get confused and fooproof frosty with the 4th scroll.
>
>You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?

That wasn't specified, so no. I assume nothing. If it's fooproofed,
I'd still lose the hammer, and start upping the enchantment on Frosty,
fill the rest of the holes in my gear and go Demogorgon hunting.
June 29, 2005 8:06:59 AM

In article <1119987155.560237.293910@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?
>
>Up until 3.4.0 gifts were not automatically rustproofed
>so long time players might not have learned of this
>new feature yet. I only learned of it this week.

Sailboat the Valkyrie mentioned nothing as to the source of Frost Brand.
Okay, so it's a safe bet, but why should I assume this. She said
nothing except that it was "+0". I might assume "uncursed" from that,
but I'm not going to assume "fooproof". For all I know it came from
hearse bones or a shop.
June 29, 2005 8:08:24 AM

In article <d9sa6r$9ik$1@online.de>,
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

>But the fact that he has mentioned _two_ artifacts made me assume the most
>likely source for it.

You know what happens when you assume :-)

>And the unconditional suggestion of james is also subjected to the origin

Well, my advice was more along the lines of "conserve the scrolls until
you can get the maximum yield". And "the sword is better than the
hammer right now".
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 1:09:07 PM

james wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> >> You suggest to fooproof an already rustproofed artifact weapon?
>
> >Up until 3.4.0 gifts were not automatically rustproofed
> >so long time players might not have learned of this
> >new feature yet. I only learned of it this week.
>
> Sailboat the Valkyrie mentioned nothing as to the source of Frost Brand.
> Okay, so it's a safe bet, but why should I assume this. She said
> nothing except that it was "+0". I might assume "uncursed" from that,
> but I'm not going to assume "fooproof". For all I know it came from
> hearse bones or a shop.

If you know the +0 number, it either came from a price ID
or it came from a full ID. Price ID on an artifact isn't
something I'd bother with once I had found my first ID
scroll.

So we have to guess. Best guess is 3.4.x, gift from sac,
thus rustproof. Not the only guess but I do get that it
is the best one.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 6:44:04 PM

Sailboat would like to verify that indeed BOTH Frosty and Mojo came
from sacrifices, which in her 3.4.3 world makes them fooproof, and she
will remember to specify such things in the future.

But now she wonders: Is there any way to genocide all types of
mindflayers at once without also wiping out dwarves? It's an area of
special concern to her, as she is a dwarf and all.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 9:54:48 PM

yes, uncursed-genocide mindflayers.
On 29 Jun 2005 14:44:04 -0700
"cactus of doom" <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:

| Sailboat would like to verify that indeed BOTH Frosty and Mojo came
| from sacrifices, which in her 3.4.3 world makes them fooproof, and she
| will remember to specify such things in the future.
|
| But now she wonders: Is there any way to genocide all types of
| mindflayers at once without also wiping out dwarves? It's an area of
| special concern to her, as she is a dwarf and all.

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:18:41 AM

In article <1119918548.661384.204920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
cactus of doom <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:
>Sailboat the valkyrie wants your opinion. She has:
>4 uncursed scrolls of enchant weapon

[ Snippage ]

>She wonders how others might consider spending those scrolls.

First off she should bless those scrolls.

BAJ
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 4:02:03 AM

cactus of doom wrote:

> But now she wonders: Is there any way to genocide all types of
> mindflayers at once without also wiping out dwarves? It's an area of
> special concern to her, as she is a dwarf and all.

No, in this case you need two uncursed scrolls of genocide to eliminate
both, mind flayers and master mind flayers.

Janis
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 4:27:49 PM

noah bedford wrote:

> "cactus of doom" <cactusofdoom@aol.com> wrote:
>
>> Sailboat would like to verify that indeed BOTH Frosty and Mojo came
>> from sacrifices, which in her 3.4.3 world makes them fooproof, and she
>> will remember to specify such things in the future.
>>
>> But now she wonders: Is there any way to genocide all types of
>> mindflayers at once without also wiping out dwarves? It's an area of
>> special concern to her, as she is a dwarf and all.

> yes, uncursed-genocide mindflayers.

This won't genocide master mind flayers. Also, they're called "mind
flayers", not "mindflayers"; in a recent thread someone told how his monk
died by making this mistake. The only way to genocide both types without
killing dwarves as well is by way of two uncursed genocides.

text the *after* response your put please text, quoted some to responding
When.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 3:45:49 AM

Panu Lahtinen wrote:

> In article <yy7ok6k6nzgq.fsf@marge.cs.sfu.ca>, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> text the *after* response your put please text, quoted some to
>> responding When.
>
> YM: ".text the *after* response your put please, text quoted some to
> responding When" ;-)

Yes, perhaps your way is clearer.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 1:33:42 PM

In article <yy7ok6k6nzgq.fsf@marge.cs.sfu.ca>, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> text the *after* response your put please text, quoted some to responding
> When.

YM: ".text the *after* response your put please, text quoted some to
responding When" ;-)

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",
Twoflower in "The Light Fantastic"
Anonymous
July 5, 2005 2:44:26 PM

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> In article <yy7ok6k6nzgq.fsf@marge.cs.sfu.ca>, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

>> text the *after* response your put please text, quoted some to
>> responding When.

> YM: ".text the *after* response your put please, text quoted some to
> responding When" ;-)

I thought he meant: ".txet eht *retfa* esnopser ruoy tup esaelp ,txet
detouq emos ot gnidnopser nehW"...

--
Boudewijn.

"Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
- Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
!