Sign in with
Your question

Changing Motherboards OEM W7

Last response: in Windows 7
January 22, 2013 3:49:16 AM

Hey everyone! I'm looking to get a new motherboard so I can SLI some graphics cards but I was wondering... I bought a copy of Windows 7 OEM. I have a ASUS P8H77-V LGA. I am looking to get this motherboard to replace it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I still have the disc for the Windows. My question is if I change the motherboards will I have to do another install? and if I do no biggy but would I not be able to install it with it being a OEM copy? Or could I and not register it? or how does all that work? and just so you guys know this is my current mobo just if you need to see it.
thanks you guys for the help!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2013 6:39:52 AM

yes, if you change your MoBo, it will require a fresh windows install. OEM is absolutely fine. it is just referred to as the "System Builder" Edition that used to be available (good to install on any make, model etc) you should be able to re-register your install, but it may take an email to MS to sort it (ask them before you change to de-activate your current copy, they can do it.)
m
l
a c 705 U Graphics card
a c 973 V Motherboard
a c 395 $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 8:39:48 AM

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 22, 2013 9:05:37 AM

oh, wasn't aware that it tied to the first install, I have done it in the past, but that may have been because i know someone that works at MS and he de-activated the license for me. thanks mr blackbird sir!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 83 V Motherboard
a b $ Windows 7
January 22, 2013 10:55:22 AM

Install, ring M$ and tell a few white lies aka (motherboard failed), they are not interested us, it's the big time boys tehy want to catch or make life difficult for.
m
l
January 22, 2013 11:43:22 AM

If your origianl board was Asus, then its best you upgrade with another Asus board. Its the make of Mobo the OEM hooks into.

Any problems, then your original board failed, didn't it, at least thats what you tell M'soft if you have to.
m
l
January 24, 2013 1:09:35 PM

Alright thank you guys! I appreciate it.
m
l
!