Rings and Amulets - Increased hunger?

Last response: in Video Games
June 28, 2005 10:49:51 AM

Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
regeneration??

Can't seem to find a definite answer or consensus on what is correct...

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 10:58:08 AM

Brigand wrote:
> Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
> regeneration??
>
> Can't seem to find a definite answer or consensus on what is correct...

All. Even the slow digestion will give you the 'ring' hunger (once
every 20 turns, IIRC) while eliminating the regular hunger.

-K
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 11:09:37 AM

Argh....I like to play wizard, so, between the increased hunger from
spellcasting, and the increased hunger from the rings I start with, I
am constantly hungry.

I started playing Nethack a LONG time ago, when it was still called
HACK, and not near as complex as the current version. I actually won
hack, by killing the Wiz, snatching the amulet, and exiting the dungeon
(that was all that was required at the time - the dungeon was only 20
levels). In that version, almost everything you ate was poisonous. I
have only recently gotten over my inbred fear of eating corpses, and
realizing that they will usually help stave off death in Nethack. But,
hunger remains a problem.

Man, I have been playing this thing forever....I an NEVER gonna
ascend....
June 28, 2005 4:47:35 PM

Off on a tangent, now that you mention rings of conflict....what is the
benefit of wearing one? According to the spoiler files, wearing one
does give a chance for monsters to fight amongst themselves, but it
also will wake sleeping monsters, cause your pet to attack
indiscriminately, and generally piss off everything else...

The only time I could see it being useful is when you are surrounded by
a horde, and are hoping they will hurt each other rather than beat on
you....Any other upside I am missing?
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 4:50:56 PM

Brigand wrote:

> Off on a tangent, now that you mention rings of conflict....what is the
> benefit of wearing one? According to the spoiler files, wearing one
> does give a chance for monsters to fight amongst themselves, but it
> also will wake sleeping monsters, cause your pet to attack
> indiscriminately, and generally piss off everything else...
>
> The only time I could see it being useful is when you are surrounded by
> a horde, and are hoping they will hurt each other rather than beat on
> you....Any other upside I am missing?

No, but that can be a huge upside, especially in places like Moloch's
Sanctum, the Plane of Air, bigrooms, ...

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 5:26:53 PM

Thanks for all the help guys! Glad I checked this site out!
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 6:16:15 PM

Brigand wrote:
<snip>
> The only time I could see it being useful is when you are surrounded by
> a horde, and are hoping they will hurt each other rather than beat on
> you....Any other upside I am missing?

And it's a *great* way to deal with a hoard/summonstorm/etcs. Not only
they attack each other, when they do they will skip attacking you.
It's one of those thing that can be considered 'Not quite the part of
the ascension kit, but almost a must' gear.

-K
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:58:47 PM

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Brigand wrote:

> Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
> regeneration??

Yes and no. All rings and amulet slightly increase hunger by 1 per 20
turns. Some rings (regeneration, conflict) increase it even more (I thing
it's 10/20 more). Actually, this latest increase does not come from the
ring itself but from a "non artefact source of [regen, conflict]. So, even
if you eat the ring, it'll cause hunger (not sure for other rings such as
increase damage).

Of course, rings of hunger are worst.

> Can't seem to find a definite answer or consensus on what is correct...

Look for the hunger spoiler on usual spoilers resources.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
June 28, 2005 7:58:48 PM

Quoting Jym <moyen@loria.fr>:
>On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Brigand wrote:
>>Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
>>regeneration??
>Yes and no. All rings and amulet slightly increase hunger by 1 per 20
>turns.

Uncharged chargable rings do not, and the Amulet has a 1/20 for being
carried as well as for being worn (if worn).

>Some rings (regeneration, conflict) increase it even more (I thing
>it's 10/20 more).
>Of course, rings of hunger are worst.

Hunger is no worse than conflict or regeneration.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Today is First Wednesday, Presuary.

In news:<1119967777.784526.187920@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, Brigand
<markashall@hotmail.com> says...
> Argh....I like to play wizard, so, between the increased hunger from
> spellcasting, and the increased hunger from the rings I start with, I
> am constantly hungry.

There has been some recents post on this issue, that I think would be
beneficial for you to read.

Early wizard nutrition tactics:

Hunger penalties for jewelry/overburdening/etc:

> I started playing Nethack a LONG time ago, when it was still called
> HACK, and not near as complex as the current version. I actually won
> hack, by killing the Wiz, snatching the amulet, and exiting the dungeon
> (that was all that was required at the time - the dungeon was only 20
> levels). In that version, almost everything you ate was poisonous. I
> have only recently gotten over my inbred fear of eating corpses, and
> realizing that they will usually help stave off death in Nethack. But,
> hunger remains a problem.

I had the same experience when I returned to Nethack after a long time
away (a long time ago). Just like you, I had bad experiences from corpse
eating since earlier times, and hence suffered from lack of food sources
and starvation (hadn't mastered #praying then).

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung ehoovat n tybjvat cbgvba qbrf abg znxr vg n zntvp ynzc.

In article <1119966591.849885.58960@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Brigand <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
>regeneration??

Ring of slow digestion and Amulet of change being the exceptions, I think.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 12:09:36 AM

In news:<Y3gwe.7092$8o.182@fed1read03>, james
<fishbowl@conservatory.com> says...
> In article <1119966591.849885.58960@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
> Brigand <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >Do ALL rings and amulets increase your hunger rate?? Or just a few like
> >regeneration??
> Ring of slow digestion and Amulet of change being the exceptions, I think.

Hmmm, maybe maybe an "oC would still cause its extra hunger point if
used on just the right/wrong turn. Not very likely though, I admit.

=oSD could technically be said to both increase and decrease hunger
rate. Decreasing it by removing the normal 1/1 hunger, but also slightly
increasing it by the 1/20 ring penalty. The sum of this is a most
valuable 19/20 decrease of course.

Another exception though, is that chargeable rings at +0 does not cause
extra hunger (could help in ring identification for the obsessive
identifier).

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Gurl fnl gung qentba fpnyrf pna or dhvgr rapunagvat.

Brigand wrote:
> Off on a tangent, now that you mention rings of conflict....what is the
> benefit of wearing one? According to the spoiler files, wearing one
> does give a chance for monsters to fight amongst themselves, but it
> also will wake sleeping monsters, cause your pet to attack
> indiscriminately, and generally piss off everything else...
>
> The only time I could see it being useful is when you are surrounded by
> a horde, and are hoping they will hurt each other rather than beat on
> you....Any other upside I am missing?

Yes. I think with conflict your pets will attack even higher level monsters
which they otherwise would not attack. And peaceful monsters will attack each
other; useful e.g. to get a pickaxe from a peaceful dwarf without penalty.
Another application is eliminating mimics by the shopkeepers (or v.v. :-).
But the main benefit is indeed if you got into a crowd of hostile monsters.

Janis
June 29, 2005 8:02:50 AM

In article <1119988055.233226.132800@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Brigand <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Off on a tangent, now that you mention rings of conflict....what is the
>benefit of wearing one?

The benefit? Total mayhem when you want it!

> According to the spoiler files, wearing one
>does give a chance for monsters to fight amongst themselves,

When they are targetting each other, they aren't targetting you...

>but it
>also will wake sleeping monsters,

Yep!

>cause your pet to attack
>indiscriminately,

YES! Really handy when your pet is, oh, an Olog-Hai with 180 HP, AC-20, and a
good weapon :-)

> and generally piss off everything else...

Bring 'em on!

>The only time I could see it being useful is when you are surrounded by
>a horde, and are hoping they will hurt each other rather than beat on
>you....Any other upside I am missing?

I think you're missing the whole point, because you seem to be regarding
the ring's very power as a liability.

I also suspect you've never pondered playing as a pacifist.
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 10:31:06 AM

james wrote:
> In article <1119988055.233226.132800@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> Brigand <markashall@hotmail.com> wrote:
<snip>
> >cause your pet to attack
> >indiscriminately,
>
> YES! Really handy when your pet is, oh, an Olog-Hai with 180 HP, AC-20, and a
> good weapon :-)

Or, more commonly, letting the purple worms eat the higher level
monsters (like Rodney) they don't normally touch...

-K
!