just carry it?
one of my really promising (lvl 9) vampiric barbarians died from a cockatrice,
and I heard that lizard corpses have something to do with it.

On 2005-06-28, noah bedford wrote:
> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
> but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
> just carry it?

Carry it to defend against the hissing attack, eat it to
stop an otherwise induced stoning process (eating an egg, being hit with
a wielded corpse(?),...).

See http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/instadeath.html, especially the
"stoning" and "stiffening" sections.

HTH
Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

thanks. so basically, I eat it when I am about to turn to stone,
thanks.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 15:45:38 +0000 (UTC)
Ohle Claussen <claussen@dpi.physik.uni-goettingen.de> wrote:

| On 2005-06-28, noah bedford wrote:
| > I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
| > but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
| > just carry it?
|
| Carry it to defend against the hissing attack, eat it to
| stop an otherwise induced stoning process (eating an egg, being hit with
| a wielded corpse(?),...).
|
| See http://www.steelypips.org/nethack/instadeath.html, especially the
| "stoning" and "stiffening" sections.
|
| HTH
| Ohle
| --
| Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
| http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251
| "The point is, this is a way to help inoculate me about what has come and is
| coming." --dubya

James

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <20050628163333.3ccd460d@dhcppc4>,
noah bedford <noahbedford@gmail.com> wrote:

>I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
>but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
>just carry it?

What's useful about them is that they are acidic food. There are other
acidic foods, but lizard corpses don't rot. Keep it in your main
inventory, because looking in your bag for it is asking for YASDBS.

Nesta, petrified by tasting Medusa meat
` a boulder or statue (statue of an elf named Nesta)

> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,

They are in two ways: First, they protect from the hissing attack (not 100%, but
more than not carrying one around) if they are in your main inventory.
> but how? do I wield it?
no

> rub it?
no

> sit on it?
no

> eat it?
yes, when the stoning process started already you can eat them to stop and
reverse it.

> just carry it?
yes again, see above.

HTH,
Benjamin

--
____ _ _ ____ _ _ _ _____ __ __
/ ___|| | / \ / ___|| | | ( ) ____| \/ |

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) writes:
> In article <20050628163333.3ccd460d@dhcppc4>,
> noah bedford <noahbedford@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
> >but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
> >just carry it?
>
> What's useful about them is that they are acidic food.

No, they're not. They share the unstoning property _with_ acidic
corpses, but they're not acidic.

: "Hi! I'm Prozac the Bear!" :
: -- Prozac the Bear, "Triangle and Robert" :

noah bedford wrote:
> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
> but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
> just carry it?

The reverse order is more effective...

Find one and carry it with you (in your main inventory).
If you are stiffening after a cokatrice bit then eat it immediately.
If in the process you haven't eaten it up completely, sit on it.
After a couple of moves pick it up again and rub it thrice.
Then wield it to scare other creatures.

....well, some of the above steps are just part of a rite.

And you shouldn't be overloaded; otherwise the critical step 2 might
fail.

Janis

Janis Papanagnou babbled on for HOURS on 28 Jun 2005:

> noah bedford wrote:
>> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
>> but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
>> just carry it?
>
> The reverse order is more effective...
>
> Find one and carry it with you (in your main inventory).
> If you are stiffening after a cokatrice bit then eat it immediately.
> If in the process you haven't eaten it up completely, sit on it.
> After a couple of moves pick it up again and rub it thrice.
> Then wield it to scare other creatures.

You forgot the most important step. Wear it on your head as a helmet.
Nothing scares monsters more than seeing a half eaten lizard being used as
headgear!*

*(Not really)

fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote:

> In article <20050628163333.3ccd460d@dhcppc4>,
> noah bedford <noahbedford@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
> >but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
> >just carry it?
>
> What's useful about them is that they are acidic food.

No, they're not. They stop stoning, but do not cause the damage done by
acidic foods. Besides, they also reduce stunning and confusion, which
acidic foods do not.

> Keep it in your main inventory, because looking in your bag for
> it is asking for YASDBS.

Moreover, chick- and cockatrices are less dangerous during a full moon
when you carry a lizard corpse in your main inventory.

Richard

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, noah bedford wrote:

> thanks. so basically, I eat it when I am about to turn to stone,
> thanks.

Bewarfe with vampires, I'm not sure they can eat them... (they may not rot
but the blood still coagule...) wiztest for safety.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

oh yeah! so potions of acid are the only way to go.
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 21:08:41 +0200
Jym <moyen@loria.fr> wrote:

| On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, noah bedford wrote:
|
| > thanks. so basically, I eat it when I am about to turn to stone,
| > thanks.
|
| Bewarfe with vampires, I'm not sure they can eat them... (they may not rot
| but the blood still coagule...) wiztest for safety.
|
| Hypocoristiquement,
| Jym.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

james <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote:

> Keep it in your main inventory, because looking in your bag for it is
> asking for YASDBS.

LOL, this is exactly how my last character (a 14th level wizard) died -
stoned by a cockatrice while rummaging in his BoH for a lizard corpse
instead of praying. After that little debacle, I've gone back to playing
barbarians again.

On Jun 29, 2005, Richard Bos sent message
<42c1a403.3643718@news.xs4all.nl>, which allegedly said:

> fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote:

[chopped]

>> Keep it in your main inventory, because looking in your bag for
>> it is asking for YASDBS.
>
> Moreover, chick- and cockatrices are less dangerous during a full moon
> when you carry a lizard corpse in your main inventory.

New moon.

Have Fun
Martin
--
Playing NH3.4.3 in TTY or Qt on Mac OS X

On 2005-06-28, Martin Crisp wrote:
> On Jun 29, 2005, Richard Bos sent message
><42c1a403.3643718@news.xs4all.nl>, which allegedly said:
>

>> Moreover, chick- and cockatrices are less dangerous during a full moon
>> when you carry a lizard corpse in your main inventory.
>
> New moon.

Any moon (IIRC).

--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251
BOFH Excuse #32:
techtonic stress

>>> Moreover, chick- and cockatrices are less dangerous during a full moon
>>> when you carry a lizard corpse in your main inventory.
>>
>> New moon.
>>
> Any moon (IIRC).

Yes, but on new moon a hissing attack is always successful unless you have
a lizard corpse with you.

Greetings,
Benjamin
--
Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
Registered Linux User #289529: http://counter.li.org

Ohle Claussen <claussen@dpi.physik.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
> On 2005-06-28, Martin Crisp wrote:
> > On Jun 29, 2005, Richard Bos sent message
> ><42c1a403.3643718@news.xs4all.nl>, which allegedly said:
> >>
> >> Moreover, chick- and cockatrices are less dangerous during a full moon
> >> when you carry a lizard corpse in your main inventory.
> >
> > New moon.
> >
> Any moon (IIRC).

No. Lizard corpses in inventory only make a difference at new moon;
they reduce the increased chance of hissing leading to stoning to that
which it would be at other times.

In news:<Xns9683CB55AAC66icubeddeathtospamrem@216.196.97.142>, Phlimm
<icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> says...
> Janis Papanagnou babbled on for HOURS on 28 Jun 2005:
> > noah bedford wrote:
> >> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
> >> but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
> >> just carry it?
> > The reverse order is more effective...
> > Find one and carry it with you (in your main inventory).
> > If you are stiffening after a cokatrice bit then eat it immediately.
> > If in the process you haven't eaten it up completely, sit on it.
> > After a couple of moves pick it up again and rub it thrice.
> > Then wield it to scare other creatures.
> You forgot the most important step. Wear it on your head as a helmet.
> Nothing scares monsters more than seeing a half eaten lizard being used as
> headgear!*

Whoa! First time I read that, I mis-read 'scares' to 'scores'. Strange
images formed in my mind. I wonder if it would apply to other monsters
than foocubi.

> *(Not really)

Indeed.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Rire gevrq gb chg n gebyy vagb n ynetr obk?

Janis Papanagnou wrote:
> noah bedford wrote:

>> I have heard that lizard corpses are good against stoning attacks,
>> but how? do I wield it? rub it? sit on it? eat it?
>> just carry it?

> Find one and carry it with you (in your main inventory).
> If you are stiffening after a cokatrice bit then eat it immediately.

Note that, contrary to (most?) other food items, the effects will take
effect after the first bite. For (most?) other food items, including
corpses, you have to eat the entire item and the special effects will
become apparent only after completing your meal.

A lizard corpse will work with the first bite, and you don't have to
finish eating it, which is good, since you can use it over and over
again.

--
Boudewijn.

"Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
- Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.