I AM SO SORRY!!! :-)

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
this is from <A HREF="http://hardocp.com" target="_new">[H]</A>ardocp.com.(not from me)

"The crew over at HardwareUnlimited dishes out an apology to Intel. Wonder if Bert McComas of InQuest will ever apologize for his blatant attempt to discredit Intel with his outright misleading statement about throttling...probably not."

from Hardware-Unlimited:

<i><A HREF="http://www.hardware-unlimited.com/" target="_new">I would like to apologize to Intel on behalf of our throttling issue dealing with the Pentium 4 1.7Ghz. We thought we uncovered throttling in our original review, however we were testing the GeForce 3 simultaneously and the numbers were mixed up on accident, which made the
Pentium 4 1.7Ghz look like it was throttling. We have resolved the issue with Intel, corrected our review, and reformulated the graphs. I would like to personally apologize to George Alfs about the issue, who has helped us work it out and has been very helpful, kind, and
understanding. This is a terrible mistake on our part and I am extremely sorry if this caused any suspicion or confusion among our readers. We were not trying to steer you into the
wrong direction or mislead you about Intel in any sense.</A></i>

Inquest AMD Market Research: "<A HREF="http://www.inqst.com/articles/athlon4/0516main.htm" target="_new">The War Escalates Athlon4 takes on Pentium4</A>"

also don't miss Inquest's <A HREF="http://www.platformconference.com/" target="_new">AMD platform conference</A> sponsered by AMD.

Bert and Van, two wrongs don't make a right.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
That not a good benchmark
intel mobo and old driver that keep P4 with low score, he even losse sysmark under win 2000 pro.I dont take this as a good benchmark

G

Yup, then head over to AMD Zone and read the article that Van Smith posted about a week ago. There is a throttling issue and Intel has persuaded (I wonder how) Bert McComas to sweep it under the carpet. Hence Van is no longer working for Inquest, he's so disturbed by the whole arrangement. Typical, very typical of Intel.

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i agree... anandtech is total sh!t... no offence to anyone that goes by them... tom's reviews are damn near being the best...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

bhc

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
If Intel just wants to protect the chips in case of fan failure or heatsink coming off, a simple thermal diode on/off switch will be sufficient. Ever wonder why Intel implements a more elaborated scheme? My speculation is that in the early development stage they really had heat dissipation problems and they need this feature so they can continue the work.

We all know that the heat dissipation scales with clock speed. P4 needs to run at a much higher clock speed in order to compete, and in fact, P4 has some modules running at twice the clock speed of its core. So, it makes sense that local heating is a much bigger issue for P4, especially at the early stage when the processing technology was less mature. If they just used a simple on/off switch, there may not be enough margin for stable, continuous operations needed to work out all the kinks of memory interface, chipsets, MoBo etc. I think because they didn't know for sure how far the 0.18 micron P4 can scale in terms of acceptable heat dissipation, they kept this feature in the actual product. That is why I doubt the 0.18 micron P4 can go beyond 2 GHz without the thermal throttle becoming a real issue.

This is just my speculation. However, it would be interesting to find out the real reason if my speculation is off case.

**Spin all you want, but we the paying consumers will have the final word**

G

From the article : "The War Escalates Athlon4 takes on Pentium4"

<i>For example, the P3 has a simple thermal protection mechanism that will allow the CPU to crash gracefully if a heat sink is not attached, rather than burning out as Thunderbird is known to do. The Athlon4 has a feature such as this too. It is a great safety net feature for those who build PCs, saving the user from destroying his CPU through negligence. But the P4 takes this ‘feature’ to a new performance compromising extreme. It now serves as a ‘performance degrading’ solution for cheap, under-rated, inadequate or improperly installed P4 cooling systems. This is uniquely important to the P4 because many or most production P4 cooling systems are technically inadequate. This is no accident, because Intel has intentionally under-specified P4 thermal requirements by 33%, and uses thermal throttling as a performance draining bandaid – er ‘feature’. This potentially performance robbing ‘feature’ is a poor substitute for a much more desirable feature – a first class cooling system adequate to the real thermal dissipation requirements of the P4. </i>

I have just one thing to say : LOL!!!

<i>Waiting for the nForce chipset...</i> -Me

G

Intel probably tried to shut up Tom a couple of times before as well, (probably with AHEM...) unfortunately it looks like craphead anandtech took the bait.

G

Not sure what you have against Anand.. but personnaly I like his tests much better. he uses a much more balanced mix of benchmarks, a wider range, and they just make more sense. Tom just benches either very specific things, most people dont need (Pro engineer, Flask), or not very usefull things as Sysmark or Quake. I mean, there interesting allright, but its not what I am basing my purchase upon. Sysmark is an indication, but nothing more, and Quake3 is a videocard benchmark (unless you play it at 640x480, which nobody does).

Also, Tom tends to use the same set of benches for every product. Though this makes sense to be "objective", I really think eg a dual cpu platform demands other apps, since they target an entirely different audience. thats why for example, Anands forum database test is a great bench for such a platform.. much more interesting than Q3 of win98 sysmark scores....

---- Owner of the only Dell computer with a AMD chip

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"sweep it under the carpet"

oh! like the miissing thermo diode in the athlon core?

Poor Van now he's working for Amdzone.com, must be home for him :0

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"