no quest for me

After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.

So thats it ? Game over ??
13 answers Last reply
More about quest

    tom wrote:

    > After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
    > But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
    > of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.
    >
    > So thats it ? Game over ??

    You can not win if your goal is ascension. You
    can still make the high score list if your goal
    is to continue playing for high score. You could
    play extinctionist to accumulate very many points
    and a large hoard of gems, leave the dungeon in
    disgrace, purchase a good sized nation with your
    wealth, and rule it as a warrior baron.

    tom wrote:
    > After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
    > But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
    > of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.
    >
    > So thats it ? Game over ??

    You can try wishing for the Eye of Aethiopica if neutral (and
    non-wizard). Its #invoke ability can get you back to your quest.

    Lars

    > After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
    > But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
    > of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.
    >
    > So thats it ? Game over ??

    Yes, simple as that.

    Greetings,
    blindy

    --
    The Nethack IdleRPG! Idle to your favorite Nethack messages!
    http://pallas.crash-override.net/nethackidle/

    Lars Kecke wrote:

    > tom wrote:
    >> After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
    >> But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
    >> of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.
    >>
    >> So thats it ? Game over ??
    >
    > You can try wishing for the Eye of Aethiopica if neutral (and
    > non-wizard). Its #invoke ability can get you back to your quest.

    Not if you haven't been through the portal yet, surely?

    Raisse, killed by a ghoul

    Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote:

    > Lars Kecke wrote:

    >> You can try wishing for the Eye of Aethiopica if neutral (and
    >> non-wizard). Its #invoke ability can get you back to your quest.
    >
    > Not if you haven't been through the portal yet, surely?

    Eek, hit 'send' too soon; of course you've been through the portal if
    you've met the quest leader. But can you get to the lower levels of the
    Quest with the Eye if you haven't descended from the top level yet?

    Raisse, killed by a wraith
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On 28 Jun 2005 12:57:29 -0700, "Doug Freyburger" <dfreybur@yahoo.com>
    wrote:

    >tom wrote:
    >>
    >> After hitting the quest leader, the quest was over.
    >> But i guessed i could simply wish for the blessed bell
    >> of opening, but nope, all i got was a blessed normal bell.
    >>
    >> So thats it ? Game over ??
    >
    >You can not win if your goal is ascension. You
    >can still make the high score list if your goal
    >is to continue playing for high score. You could
    >play extinctionist to accumulate very many points
    >and a large hoard of gems, leave the dungeon in
    >disgrace, purchase a good sized nation with your
    >wealth, and rule it as a warrior baron.

    Sounds so good, when ur telling me this :-)

    I wished for the eye of the aethiopica, but it vanished.

    Next time i am looting that chest on my way back from
    the quest.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:43:49 +0200:
    > can you get to the lower levels of the
    > Quest with the Eye if you haven't descended from the top level yet?

    No. The Eye will never take you to a level you have not visited yet.

    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    > tom wrote:
    >
    > > Next time i am looting that chest on my way back from
    > > the quest.
    >
    > If that was your problem, there *is* a way to get the items out of his
    > chest without angering him: move toward your quest leader, and when the
    > game asks if you want to attack him, answer "no".
    >
    > This won't attack him, but *will* make him mobile. After he moves from
    > his spot, you may loot the box without repercussions.
    >
    > Unwield Stormbringer first. :-)

    With a hostile Quest leader you can't go to deeper levels
    of the Quest, right? If I understand correctly once you
    leave the Quest level you won't be able to get be in. If
    that's correct:

    Or don't unwield Stormy. Use it to kill your leader for
    the extra XP points. Since XP points and assorted treasure
    will be all you can possibly get out of this game and you
    would be going for the highest non-ascension score possible,
    stay on that level until you've wiped out everything and
    gathered every possible item there.

    The best possible outcome of the game at this point is an
    extinctionist non-ascension. There's only one Quest leader
    to make extinct.

    Or quit the dungeon now with whatever loot you have,
    learn the "don't do that next time" lesson that is key
    to playing Nethack, and launch another character.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    Tom wrote:

    >> Game over ??

    > You can not win if your goal is ascension.

    Obviously. Ascension is the *only* way to win the game.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Rast wrote:
    > Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:43:49 +0200:

    >> can you get to the lower levels of the
    >> Quest with the Eye if you haven't descended from the top level yet?

    > No. The Eye will never take you to a level you have not visited yet.

    But can you use it to get back to the first level of the quest, use a
    blessed scroll of taming on your Quest Leader, and convince him or her
    to open up the Quest for you after all?

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    tom wrote:

    > Next time i am looting that chest on my way back from
    > the quest.

    If that was your problem, there *is* a way to get the items out of his
    chest without angering him: move toward your quest leader, and when the
    game asks if you want to attack him, answer "no".

    This won't attack him, but *will* make him mobile. After he moves from
    his spot, you may loot the box without repercussions.

    Unwield Stormbringer first. :-)

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote on Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:37:56 +0200:
    > Rast wrote:
    > > Raisse the Thaumaturge wrote on Tue, 28 Jun 2005 22:43:49 +0200:
    >
    > >> can you get to the lower levels of the
    > >> Quest with the Eye if you haven't descended from the top level yet?
    >
    > > No. The Eye will never take you to a level you have not visited yet.
    >
    > But can you use it to get back to the first level of the quest, use a
    > blessed scroll of taming on your Quest Leader, and convince him or her
    > to open up the Quest for you after all?

    Interesting. This _should_ work.

    --
    "Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
    am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
    commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > tom wrote:
    >
    >> Next time i am looting that chest on my way back from
    >> the quest.
    >
    > If that was your problem, there *is* a way to get the items out of his
    > chest without angering him: move toward your quest leader, and when the
    > game asks if you want to attack him, answer "no".
    >
    > This won't attack him, but *will* make him mobile. After he moves from
    > his spot, you may loot the box without repercussions.

    You can also do it in a less threatening way, just by #chatting with the
    leader.

    --
    Benjamin Lewis

    "Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
    over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
    --Matt Groening

Games Video Games