SlashEm help please

My best ever SlashEM character, a human male Knight has just entered
sokoban after completing the mines. He has magic resistance, reflection
and is wielding the +4 Sword of Justice and a silver saber - below is
the full list of equipment and stats.

My question is, what else am I likely to need before long? In vanilla
nethack I would be looking for speed boots and a bag of holding at the
moment, I imagine this is the same in SlashEM. Is there anything else
that is not so crucial in vanilla that I could not live without for
long in SlashEM? My only other thought is that there maybe a better
weapon for a Knight such as Frostbrand or Grayswandir, and maybe I
should use the next wish on that before too many artifacts are
generated.

Thanks in advance,
Joe

Full list of stats/equipment:

Joe the Bachelor St:20 Dx:10 Co:14 In:7 Wi:15 Ch:17 Lawful
Dlvl:9 $:3177 HP:53(68) Pw:46(46) AC:-11 Exp:9 T:6600

Weapons
b - the blessed rustproof +4 Sword of Justice (weapon in
hand)<<--sacfest gift
G - a blessed +0 silver saber (wielded in other hand)<<--found in shop
Armor
f - an uncursed +0 pair of leather gloves (being worn)
h - an uncursed +0 pair of water walking boots (being worn)
r - an uncursed rustproof +0 dwarvish iron helm (being worn)
C - an uncursed +0 large shield
H - an uncursed fireproof +4 cloak of magic resistance (being
worn)<<--bones
J - a blessed +3 silver dragon scale mail (being worn)<<--wish from
lamp
Comestibles
L - a lizard corpse named MINE
Y - an uncursed food ration
Potions
K - a potion of holy water
Rings
m - an uncursed ring of free action
q - an uncursed mood ring
s - an uncursed +2 ring of gain strength (on right hand)
t - an uncursed +2 ring of increase accuracy
X - a cursed ring of teleportation
Wands
D - a wand of digging (0:1)
Tools
e - an uncursed skeleton key
i - an uncursed towel
w - an uncursed magic whistle
x - an uncursed wax candle
F - an uncursed tallow candle
M - 7 cursed wax candles
N - a blessed +0 unicorn horn
S - a blessed oil lamp

Unskilled in twoweapon
Expert in long sword
Basic in saber

babbled on for HOURS on 28 Jun 2005:

> My best ever SlashEM character, a human male Knight has just entered
> sokoban after completing the mines. He has magic resistance, reflection
> and is wielding the +4 Sword of Justice and a silver saber - below is
> the full list of equipment and stats.
>
> My question is, what else am I likely to need before long? In vanilla
> nethack I would be looking for speed boots and a bag of holding at the
> moment, I imagine this is the same in SlashEM. Is there anything else
> that is not so crucial in vanilla that I could not live without for
> long in SlashEM? My only other thought is that there maybe a better
> weapon for a Knight such as Frostbrand or Grayswandir, and maybe I
> should use the next wish on that before too many artifacts are
> generated.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Joe
>
> Full list of stats/equipment:

My short list would be BoH, Speed Boots, Gauntlets of Power, Magic Marker
(to make ? of enchant armor, genocide once identified). Also consider
Amulet of Life Saving.

Phlimm wrote:
> babbled on for HOURS on 28 Jun 2005:
>
> > My question is, what else am I likely to need before long?

I'd say you're doing very nicely indeed. In your position, my next
priority would be setting up a cosy little stash near a
conveniently-located altar somewhere to serve as a base of operations.
The trick to progressing from here is to play slowly. Clear a few
levels, gather goodies, bring them back to the altar for ID/ Enchant/
Use. Rinse and repeat. Obviously this slow and methodical method takes
time, patience, and lots of food, but if you've reached Soko then food
is unlikely to be a problem for a long while yet. If you can lay your
hands of a fishing pole, then it can cease to be a problem permanently.

Your AC is pretty good for the time being, I'd say, but you will want
to get that armour enchanted up. Also, start thinking about getting
some priest protection before your levels get too high- maybe pick up a
pickaxe and make a few withdrawals from the bank of Croesus. The most
conspicuous lack in your inventory imho is speed boots. That might be
the best place for a wish. I wouldn't waste a wish on a BoH in for
the reason outlined below:

**************************SPOILY**********************

The thing about slashem is that you can make almost any useful magical
item - BoH, useful gloves, helmets etc - with a mundane version of the
same item and a !oGL. There's a chance you won't get what you want, but
you probably won't have to dip more than two or three 2-zorkmid sacks
to get your BoH. Remember you can alchemise GL fairly reliably with
enlightenment and levitation. Read the spoilers for more details.

> The thing about slashem is that you can make almost any useful magical
> item - BoH, useful gloves, helmets etc - with a mundane version of the
> same item and a !oGL. There's a chance you won't get what you want, but
> you probably won't have to dip more than two or three 2-zorkmid sacks
> to get your BoH.
Thanks, I didn't know this, will give it a try as soon as I identify
!oGL.

I have been playing around with different twoweapon combinations, and
noticed that I can hold the Sword of Justice second to my silver saber,
which if I remember correctly cannot happen in nethack. I have no other
artifacts yet, but does this mean I can twoweapon it with, say,
Frostbrand/Grayswandir/another artifact?

Thanks,
Joe

My knight just died in Grunds Stronghold, when he boldly strode into
the open area and there was someone there with a wand of create horde,
which created an energy vortex which engulfed my knight.

Oh well, the next character might do better...

On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 hepcaten@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> > The thing about slashem is that you can make almost any useful magical
> > item - BoH, useful gloves, helmets etc - with a mundane version of the
> > same item and a !oGL. There's a chance you won't get what you want, but
> > you probably won't have to dip more than two or three 2-zorkmid sacks
> > to get your BoH.
> Thanks, I didn't know this, will give it a try as soon as I identify
> !oGL.

If you don't mind spoilers, there's a list of all possible upgrades
accessible via Eva Myers' page on slash'em.

> I have been playing around with different twoweapon combinations, and
> noticed that I can hold the Sword of Justice second to my silver saber,
> which if I remember correctly cannot happen in nethack. I have no other
> artifacts yet, but does this mean I can twoweapon it with, say,
> Frostbrand/Grayswandir/another artifact?

Yes. But iirc, the second-handed artefact does not provide all its
benefits. Wiztest it to be sure (I do not have access to my usual computer
right now), but I think this is something like not providing resistance
but still doing extra damages.

In nethack, artefact are indeed not second-handable.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.