Dead or stuck pixel?

Dustin64

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
I recently purchased a new LCD monitor (a cheap TN panel one from ASUS), and it looks pretty nice. However, I recently noticed what is either a dead pixel or a stuck pixel, and I can't tell which.
It looks bright red against a white background, black against a green background, and is completely invisible against red, black or blue backgrounds.

Also, this screen (as well as most others, excluding a family members' iPhone screen) looks like it's dirty when I look at a white background. It's not very noticeable, but it looks like there's a film of watery/oily grime covering the screen, even right after thoroughly cleaning/first getting.
If you're reading this, thank you for your time and help, it is very appreciated.

Solution
You have a dead sub-pixel. Each pixel is made of of 3 sub-pixel (Red, Green & Blue). When all are fully on you get a white pixel when all are off you get a black pixel.

Since you are getting black on a green background that means the green sub-pixel is dead. Nothing much you can do. A LCD screen actually has millions of little tiny parts so it's not surprising if you get a dead or stuck sub-pixel.

Assuming you have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor, that monitor has a total of 2.07 million pixels. That means 6.21 million sub-pixels. And that excludes a whole lot of other things big and small.

coolhandlukeboy

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012

Giving the actual model number might help, especially regarding whether it has an anti-glare finish on the screen. It is typical of a an ag finish to make the screen look dirty or sparkly when it is displaying whites. My guess would go toward the ag finish for the dirty screen.

Dead pixels don't produce light or they only produce a white light (in a tn, it would be a white light), stuck pixels will show some light but it could be demonstrated as incorrectly displaying the proper light level or just stuck as red, blue or green. It seems like yours is the former. There are supposedly methods to fixing this, using software or other means. Hopefully someone who is more of a pro at this can answer you.

Dustin64

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
You're right, it (and all of the monitors I notice it on) do have anti-glare finishes. Thanks for that bit of info, I've been trying the rapid-refresh method, and I'm hesitant to use any physical methods out of fear of damaging my new monitor. If anyone else can confirm that mine is most likely stuck instead of dead, that would be very helpful.

You have a dead sub-pixel. Each pixel is made of of 3 sub-pixel (Red, Green & Blue). When all are fully on you get a white pixel when all are off you get a black pixel.

Since you are getting black on a green background that means the green sub-pixel is dead. Nothing much you can do. A LCD screen actually has millions of little tiny parts so it's not surprising if you get a dead or stuck sub-pixel.

Assuming you have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor, that monitor has a total of 2.07 million pixels. That means 6.21 million sub-pixels. And that excludes a whole lot of other things big and small.

Solution

Dustin64

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
That's actually what I was thinking, but nowhere I read mentioned the possibility of dead sub-pixels. Thanks for the help, I don't think it's that much worth bothering over.

TRENDING THREADS