Spontaneous Rebooting - Help!

G

My fresh install of win98 (PIII 700, 128m ram,TNT2,Soundblaster Live!) is freezing, and spontaneously rebooting.
It did this for a week as a new machine, then stopped - never knew why, but was doing updates and installs at the time. Just as now...

What could be causing this? A driver? What is likely, or has a track record of this.

And how can I work out what is causing it?

I'm really in trouble on this one!

Iride

G

What may be a problem is your processor's Heatsink is not making proper contact with the processor. This would cause the processor to overheat and lockup. I had a friend that had a simalar problem, it was because of a poorly installed thermometer wedged inbetween the heatsink and processor.

If it is a slot processor I would recommend taking it out and shining a light behind the processor while it is flat and eye level so you can see whether or not the heatsink it making full contact with the processor. Obviously you would be able to see light shining through if proper contact is not being made.

G

Mine has been doing the same thing, I dont know why either, and mine has stopped too, touchwood, seems to be going well now, I changed my isp and they stopped me dropping off the net too

G

The fact that this has occured before and stopped, and now reappeared - leads me to think that it is a software problem - then again if it is maxing out the processor it could show up a weakness...

Iride

TRENDING THREADS