replacing m105 with zire 21 or 31

Tags:
February 24, 2005 8:50:44 AM

I use basic functions: calendar, phone number and memos currently. I
have been happy with the m105, but the capacitor is gone, screen
scratched, etc and I am trying to decide what to replace it with.

My issues in comparing are:
1. readability of screen. I don't care about the color.
2. battery life - I currently change the AAA batteries every few
months. Will the new rechargables last a couple of years as I
understand they are not user replaceable? Will the black and white 21
battery last a lot longer?
3. are there other features on the zire that might be of practical
value to me.
4. The difference in price is not an issue as long as I get some value
for my money.

Thanks,

Gerry

More about : replacing m105 zire

Anonymous
February 24, 2005 12:47:46 PM

I highly recomend getting exetended warranty from palm or the store
where you buy it.

You may want something wich comes with MP3 builtin and bluetooth. Kind
of gives you flexibility to sync wirelessly and use it as MP3 player
too.

Tungsten E does not have bluetooth.
February 24, 2005 7:53:47 PM

Thank you for the input.

The resolution is important to me, ie, I want to be able to read it
easily. If it is easier to read the 21 over the 31, then I will go
that route. Any comments about this?

Once I get up to the Tungsten recommended the price difference gets
closer to $100 and I don't want the wireless stuff on the more
expensive phones.

Thanks again,

Gerry
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 24, 2005 7:57:04 PM

Not phones, palms. I was just on the phone with my cellphone company.
Sorry about that.

Gerry
Anonymous
February 24, 2005 8:22:57 PM

gerrybuddy@rogers.com (GerryG.) wrote:

>I use basic functions: calendar, phone number and memos currently. I
>have been happy with the m105, but the capacitor is gone, screen
>scratched, etc and I am trying to decide what to replace it with.

The Zire21 has about the same features as the m105 for US$99.

>My issues in comparing are:
>1. readability of screen. I don't care about the color.

The Zire21 is the only non-color PDA sold currently.

>2. battery life - I currently change the AAA batteries every few
>months.

The Zire21 will have reasonable battery life, but it will not match your m105
because it has a faster ARM (needs more power) processor.

>Will the new rechargables last a couple of years

The batteries are reported to last around 2 years.

>as I understand they are not user replaceable?

They are available on the web and can be replaced if you're ok with working on
small parts.

>4. The difference in price is not an issue as long as I get some value
>for my money.

Then throw caution to the wind and get a color model. They are neat and fun.
Avoid the Zire31 because it is low resolution. The TungstenE at US$199 and
cheaper at some places is a nice start...
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 1:00:05 AM

gerrybuddy@rogers.com (GerryG.) wrote in news:e65a8844.0502240550.18e58ba9
@posting.google.com:

> I use basic functions: calendar, phone number and memos currently. I
> have been happy with the m105, but the capacitor is gone, screen
> scratched, etc and I am trying to decide what to replace it with.

Get a model with an SD card slot. I consider that essential. It's amazing
how much difference this makes in the utility of a Palm, because you can
free up huge amounts of memory and install and use far more applications.

--
Regards,

Stan

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." B. Franklin
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 2:01:42 AM

softorama@gmail.com wrote:

>Tungsten E does not have bluetooth.
>Kind of gives you flexibility to sync wirelessly

Actually the TE will do a wireless sync with IR,
but like bluetooth it's a very slooooow sync...
Anonymous
February 25, 2005 9:51:53 AM

On 24 Feb 2005 16:53:47 -0800, gerrybuddy1@rogers.com (gerry) spewed forth these
words of wisdom:

>Thank you for the input.
>
>The resolution is important to me, ie, I want to be able to read it
>easily. If it is easier to read the 21 over the 31, then I will go
>that route. Any comments about this?
>
>Once I get up to the Tungsten recommended the price difference gets
>closer to $100 and I don't want the wireless stuff on the more
>expensive phones.
>

>Thanks again,
>
>Gerry

If readability is a factor, then go with the Tungsten E. It has a 320 x 320
color screen, and the fonts are very crisp. The Zire 31's screen is very poor.

Galley
!