E4500 Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
XFX 9800GT
2 HDD's
4GB Kingston RAM
Xcilio 500Watt Goodpower
Gigabyte P35-DS3l Rev 2.0
ASUS PCE-N13 Wireless card
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

What happens is that sometimes while using my pc normally, the mouse will stutter and won't respond for half a second and if there's audio playing, it will distort for that half-second too and this will go on for a few seconds

Here's what I do know for sure:
It doesn't matter what program is playing audio, it will stutter (Winamp, WMP, Youtube)

On some computers it is possible to recreate this audio stutter by going into the device manager and scanning for hardware changes while there is audio playing.

The cpu temps do not go up and the usage percentage in the task manager doesn't spike up either.

In CPU-Z the voltage does not change.

My audio drivers are up to date (Realtek HD Audio). My motherboard drivers are up to date. I've reinstalled Windows 7 twice to fix this yet it still happens randomly.

Any ideas?
a b $ Windows 7
May 10, 2010 10:18:24 PM

Uninstall WinAmp.
Have Windows Task Manager running using the Performance tab. (Also use Option - Always on top so you can see what's going on).
Test and report. Try to reproduce the problem and note if the CPU utilization pegs out at 100% during the stutter.

Then switch to the Process Tab. Reproduce the problems and see if you can spot the process name that shoots up in CPU % column. You can click on that CPU column twice to have it sort if order of % to make it easier to spot

Score
May 11, 2010 1:39:14 AM

WR2 said:
Uninstall WinAmp.
Have Windows Task Manager running using the Performance tab. (Also use Option - Always on top so you can see what's going on).
Test and report. Try to reproduce the problem and note if the CPU utilization pegs out at 100% during the stutter.

Then switch to the Process Tab. Reproduce the problems and see if you can spot the process name that shoots up in CPU % column. You can click on that CPU column twice to have it sort if order of % to make it easier to spot

Thank you for your input but like I stated, when this happens the cpus usage does not shoot up. And it doesn't just happen with winamp. My point is that the pc is stuttering randomly, and if there is any audio playing from any source, it will distort. It's as if the pc wants to lock up.
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 11, 2010 2:37:02 AM

fuzz_buttt said:
Thank you for your input
You're welcome.
I actually have a pretty good idea what the problem is but you may find someone else you feel you can better work with.
Score
May 13, 2010 8:45:05 PM

fuzz_buttt said:
I am getting some wierd stutter going on with my pc

The specs:

E4500 Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
XFX 9800GT
2 HDD's
4GB Kingston RAM
Xcilio 500Watt Goodpower

What happens is that sometimes while using my pc normally, the mouse will stutter and won't respond for half a second and if there's audio playing, it will distort for that half-second too and this will go on for a few seconds

It doesn't matter what program is playing audio, it will stutter (Winamp, WMP, Youtube)

On some computers it is possible to recreate this audio stutter by going into the device manager and scanning for hardware changes while there is audio playing.

The cpu temps do not go up and the usage percentage in the task manager doesn't spike up either.

My audio drivers are up to date (Realtek HD Audio). My motherboard drivers are up to date. I've reinstalled Windows 7 twice to fix this yet it still happens randomly.

Any ideas?

I am having the same issue - but am thinking it is do to a cordless mouse? Maybe?
Score
May 13, 2010 8:48:16 PM

joojoo1234 said:
I am having the same issue - but am thinking it is do to a cordless mouse? Maybe?

I don't know. I'm using a wired USB mouse. Never had problems with it.
Score
May 13, 2010 8:49:05 PM

fuzz_buttt said:
I am getting some wierd stutter going on with my pc

The specs:

E4500 Core 2 Duo 2.2ghz
XFX 9800GT
2 HDD's
4GB Kingston RAM
Xcilio 500Watt Goodpower

Any ideas?

Also think about turning of indexing or windows backup - just throwing things out.. might be indexing - Also look for a conflict between your hard drive and your audio card - same irq? I had this problem with a conflict with my firewire and hardrive on the same irq...
Score
May 20, 2010 3:06:54 AM

I found what may be the problem. It seems that everytime I get high network usage from my wireless card, my pc stutters.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 1:40:48 PM

Hi There,

I have the same problem.

Windows 7 64 bits ultimate. Intel core I7 920, 12 GB

Tried the DPC Latency Checker, checked mem usage, processor usage, disk activity, etc.

Can't find a problem there. Tried different mouses, wireless and wired usb.

It seems a problem in Windows 7 64 bits usb. I read some articles in different forums.

There is only one workaround that helps and that is to use a mouse- usb to PS2 converter. But my wireless Trust mouse doesnt work on that.

Sometimes its moving fluency and then all at sudden it starts stuttering.

Score
May 20, 2010 3:51:15 PM

WR2 said:
See if this might help you out: DPC Latency Checker tool

I'm using it and I found one spike but it's so isolated. I'm certain it's my wireless card. It's a brand new card that I got to replace my linksys WMP54G since it didn't have drivers for Windows 7. The problem only happens when I have a torrent going on and I'll get random 100% spikes in the network usage graph in the Task manager.
Score

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 4:15:11 PM

First thing to test might be to lower the process priority on your torrent program. How to Permanently Set Process Priority
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2010 2:16:00 AM

I'm having the same problem. I'm running Win7 64bit, and I'm POSITIVE the source of the choppy video and audio is my wireless card. As soon as I dissable the card the problem instantly goes away. I'm running an Asus PCE-N13 wireless card. If anyone knows of a solution it'd be greately appreciated
Score
August 23, 2010 1:53:45 PM

I had the same problem yesterday and now fixed....just go to control panel then system and device manager. unninstall the wireless card not just disactivating...when done restart your pc and reinstall the card with the last driver you can find on asus website...everything's fine now...very important to uninstall the old drive cause it wont update if you dont.

Hope ist gonna work!
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 10:26:34 PM

hi i had the same problem for ages i have tried all of the suggestions that different forums had but this time it has actually cured the problem

Thankyou soooo much
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 11:14:30 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 16, 2010 11:14:34 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!