This game is hurting my brain

So I just started playing Nethack last week, have died a lot; quite a
steep learning curve. Anyway, lvl 3 Valkyrie on DL2. Find a fountain,
quaff from it, water demon gives me a wish. Wow, I figure this character
stands a decent chance with a wish this early in the game...having perused
some of the spoilers, I begin typing my wish, for gauntlets of ogre power.
My phone rings, I fumble with it, it hits the ESC key. Wish is gone.
Valkyrie dies on 1st level of the Mines after Fido bites it. Arrrg.
4 answers Last reply
More about this game hurting brain

    On 29 Jun 2005 19:05:54 GMT
    Kamen <kirilov@abv.bg> wrote:

    | Brad Everman <deathdog@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote in
    |

    | > So I just started playing Nethack last week, have died a lot; quite a
    | > steep learning curve. Anyway, lvl 3 Valkyrie on DL2. Find a fountain,
    | > quaff from it, water demon gives me a wish. Wow, I figure this
    | > character stands a decent chance with a wish this early in the
    | > game...having perused some of the spoilers, I begin typing my wish,
    | > for gauntlets of ogre power. My phone rings, I fumble with it, it
    | > hits the ESC key. Wish is gone. Valkyrie dies on 1st level of the
    | > Mines after Fido bites it. Arrrg.
    | >

    | And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre power.
    |

    | --
    | Kamen K.
    its a great YANI though.

    In a contingent reality, Kamen possibly said:

    > And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre power.

    I realized this after I posted; after playing AD&D for years, it's sort of
    just stuck in your brain that way. Seems like the RNG is a merciless god
    and enjoys toying with you.

    Brad Everman babbled on for HOURS on 29 Jun 2005:

    > In a contingent reality, Kamen possibly said:
    >
    >> And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre
    >> power.
    >
    > I realized this after I posted; after playing AD&D for years, it's
    > sort of just stuck in your brain that way.

    > Seems like the RNG is a merciless god and enjoys toying with you.

    This is the NetHack Holy Word Mantra©. Use it often. It won't make a bit
    of difference, but you might feel better after your 1,253rd YASD/YAAD. But
    then again, I wouldn't count on it.

    Welcome to our world. We knew you would get here, it was just a matter of
    time.

Games World Of Warcraft Video Games