This game is hurting my brain

So I just started playing Nethack last week, have died a lot; quite a
steep learning curve. Anyway, lvl 3 Valkyrie on DL2. Find a fountain,
quaff from it, water demon gives me a wish. Wow, I figure this character
stands a decent chance with a wish this early in the game...having perused
some of the spoilers, I begin typing my wish, for gauntlets of ogre power.
My phone rings, I fumble with it, it hits the ESC key. Wish is gone.
Valkyrie dies on 1st level of the Mines after Fido bites it. Arrrg.

On 29 Jun 2005 19:05:54 GMT
Kamen <kirilov@abv.bg> wrote:

| Brad Everman <deathdog@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote in
|

| > So I just started playing Nethack last week, have died a lot; quite a
| > steep learning curve. Anyway, lvl 3 Valkyrie on DL2. Find a fountain,
| > quaff from it, water demon gives me a wish. Wow, I figure this
| > character stands a decent chance with a wish this early in the
| > game...having perused some of the spoilers, I begin typing my wish,
| > for gauntlets of ogre power. My phone rings, I fumble with it, it
| > hits the ESC key. Wish is gone. Valkyrie dies on 1st level of the
| > Mines after Fido bites it. Arrrg.
| >

| And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre power.
|

| --
| Kamen K.
its a great YANI though.

In a contingent reality, Kamen possibly said:

> And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre power.

I realized this after I posted; after playing AD&D for years, it's sort of
just stuck in your brain that way. Seems like the RNG is a merciless god
and enjoys toying with you.

Brad Everman babbled on for HOURS on 29 Jun 2005:

> In a contingent reality, Kamen possibly said:
>
>> And what's even worse, there's no such item as gauntlets of ogre
>> power.
>
> I realized this after I posted; after playing AD&D for years, it's
> sort of just stuck in your brain that way.

> Seems like the RNG is a merciless god and enjoys toying with you.

This is the NetHack Holy Word Mantra©. Use it often. It won't make a bit
of difference, but you might feel better after your 1,253rd YASD/YAAD. But
then again, I wouldn't count on it.

Welcome to our world. We knew you would get here, it was just a matter of
time.

TRENDING THREADS