Celron 766/66 in an old PII 300/66 Dell - feasible?

G

Ok, I have an old Dell XPS D300 System. 66 MHz bus, SECC processor. I've since purchased a new system, and keep this one around for my wife and LAN games. 'Course for that second item it is showing it's age.

I've been thinking about an upgrade but don't want to spend a lot of money (i.e. no motherboard upgrades if possible). The 766 MHz Celron caught my eye. It also runs on a 66 MHz bus (like my 300).

So my question is this:

If I use a Soyo "Slocket" SY-370 Slot 1 to Socket 370 adapter and a Celron 766 MHz 370 chip will this run with my system? The price at googlegear.com is a mere $77, which fits nicely in my budget...

The PII 300 uses a core voltage of 2.00 and the 766 MHz Celron needs 1.65 , but I think that the Soyo can change the voltage...ah, I dunno. Can someone give me clear advice?

Thanks in advance.

CLGersh

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It actually depends on your motherboards ability to support lower voltages, I think there is a dell support forum where someone can answer the voltage question. Otherwise you could get a Powerleap adapter, which has voltage reducing resitors on it (for about the same price as a cheap motherboard!).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine