  • Product
Last response: in PC Gaming
Anonymous
June 29, 2005 8:56:31 PM

I just started playing Nethack a couple days ago, and I have several
questions. First, I have played Angband a lot and Rogue a little, and
I know that in Angband you often want to go back and forth between a
couple levels for a while until you find better equipment. In Rogue,
however, if you stay on one level for a while, you will tend to run out
of food and starve. My question is, in Nethack, is it a good idea to
stay on the early levels for a while until I get better equipment, or
do I want to keep going deeper once I clear out a level. Do monsters
spawn enough and drop enough food that I won't starve if I stay on old
levels?

Anyway, I am currently playing as a Valkyrie. This is my first
character to get past experience level 5 (I am currently level 9). I
went down to dungeon level 7, where I met the oracle, but then I almost
got killed by a Mumak (I managed to kill it with a wand of cold), so I
decided to go try exploring the mines some before going deeper.
However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
guards got angry, so I ended up killing them with my wand of cold (that
wand seems pretty powerful, at least compared to my normal attacks).
The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing? Did I hurt my
alignment or something?

Also, I have found that I have many items that I know are not cursed,
but that I haven't been able to identify (including weapons, armor,
scrolls, gems, etc.). What should I do with these? Is there any way
to tell if the weapons and armor have plusses without using an identify
scroll on them? Should I wear as much armor as I can, or is there any
disadvantage to wearing armor? Also, I have two rings that I know are
not cursed. Should I wear those, or might they do bad things but still
not be cursed?

One more question. I read several other posts about sacrificing things
at altars or converting altars. How do I go about doing that. Do I
just bring a corpse to the altar and #offer it?

Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me.

More about : total beginner questions

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 1:45:58 AM

Calathan wrote on 29 Jun 2005 16:56:31 -0700:
> in Angband you often want to go back and forth between a
> couple levels for a while until you find better equipment. In Rogue,
> however, if you stay on one level for a while, you will tend to run out
> of food and starve.

Nethack is mostly like Rogue. You want to press onward to gain more
equipment, but there are some situations where it is beneficial to camp
on a level and "farm" at an altar.

Nothing changes on a level when you are away from it, so you only revisit
a past level if something of interest remains on it.

> However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
> guards got angry,

The Minetown guards take offense at the least little thing, don't they?
Be careful not to kick down any shop doors; shopkeepers hit very hard.

> The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing?

You hurt your "Luck" statistic by two points for each murder. The normal
range of Luck is -10 to +10, and it slowly returns to zero over time.
Luck affects pretty much everything you do, especially chance-to-hit. So
yes, you should avoid murder unless you have a good reason for it.

> Is there any way
> to tell if the weapons and armor have plusses without using an identify
> scroll on them?

Armor: make sure they are not cursed and try them on. Wear the best
armor in each slot and dump/stash the rest.
Weapons: I don't bother trying to ID them. Good weapon possibilities
vary by class; with a lawful Valk I'd dip for Excalibur and with a
neutral one I'd stick with the starting sword until I could sac for
Mjollnir. After I was expert in the primary weapon I'd #twoweapon with a
long word or silver saber.

> Also, I have two rings that I know are
> not cursed. Should I wear those, or might they do bad things but still
> not be cursed?

Put them on briefly to possibly find out what they do.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious

Calathan wrote:
> I just started playing Nethack a couple days ago, and I have several
> questions. First, I have played Angband a lot and Rogue a little, and
> I know that in Angband you often want to go back and forth between a
> couple levels for a while until you find better equipment. In Rogue,
> however, if you stay on one level for a while, you will tend to run out
> of food and starve. My question is, in Nethack, is it a good idea to
> stay on the early levels for a while until I get better equipment, or
> do I want to keep going deeper once I clear out a level. Do monsters
> spawn enough and drop enough food that I won't starve if I stay on old
> levels?

You won't want to stay too long on a single level, especially if you
have explored it already. Don't even search too long for secret doors
etc.; you will only increase the probability to starve.

(OTOH, if you descend too fast you will meet creatures that might be
tougher than you can handle.)

You can find good armor either in shops along the way down or in the
gnomish mines. The mines will provide you also with enough monsters to
eat. But the mines are open area, so a bit dangerous, depending on your
chosen character class.

Below the Oracle there is a branch where you'll also find more food than
usual. The same if you manage to reach the castle; but for the castle
you should be well prepared.

> Anyway, I am currently playing as a Valkyrie. This is my first
> character to get past experience level 5 (I am currently level 9). I
> went down to dungeon level 7, where I met the oracle, but then I almost
> got killed by a Mumak (I managed to kill it with a wand of cold), so I
> decided to go try exploring the mines some before going deeper.

Always kill mumaks and other hard hitting creatures from distance.

> However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
> guards got angry, so I ended up killing them with my wand of cold (that
> wand seems pretty powerful, at least compared to my normal attacks).
> The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing? Did I hurt my
> alignment or something?

Yes it's a bad thing to make peacefuls angry and kill them.

Don't kick open doors; it might be a shop door, guards may be around,
and it may wake up creatures that would otherwise have ignored you.

> Also, I have found that I have many items that I know are not cursed,
> but that I haven't been able to identify (including weapons, armor,
> scrolls, gems, etc.). What should I do with these? Is there any way
> to tell if the weapons and armor have plusses without using an identify
> scroll on them?

You need some experience with the price of items. Roughly, a shopkeeper
will pay you half the "base price" if you sell items. It's depending on
your charisma how much you have to pay for these items; it may be the
base price, somewhat less, or more. (There are spoiler files about that.)

Plusses with weapons and armor will add 10 Zorkmids for each plus to its
base price. If you know that some armor is uncursed you may wear it to
immediately see its enchantment. No equivalent for weapons.

> Should I wear as much armor as I can, or is there any
> disadvantage to wearing armor?

If you are still unburdened there are only some specific disadvantages;
metal armor, especially shields, will hinder your spellcasting ability,
Monks won't want to wear body armor, wearing shields will prevent you
from two-weaponing. And so on... But usually the better the armor, the
higher your chance to survive a combat.

> Also, I have two rings that I know are
> not cursed. Should I wear those, or might they do bad things but still
> not be cursed?

They might to bad things. But you can also identify some rings by wearing
them; regeneration, conflict, gain <ability>, just to name some.

> One more question. I read several other posts about sacrificing things
> at altars or converting altars. How do I go about doing that. Do I
> just bring a corpse to the altar and #offer it?

Yes, offer a fresh corpse, not older than 50 time ticks.

> Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me.

You're welcome.

Janis
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 9:19:13 AM

Ok, I am still in the mines, but I have a few more questions, mainly
about items I have found.

First, I read some spoilers and got Excalibur. It is only +1, since I
hadn't found any long sword better than that. I also found the silver
saber Werebane. Is that something I want to keep? Since I am now an
expert with long swords, should I use it for two weapon combat? That
would mean giving up my +4 small shield, which would take my armor
class from -8 to -3. Is using two weapons worth it?

Also, right now my cloak is a blessed +1 mummy wrapping, since that was
the only cloak I found that wasn't +0. Is that a good thing to be
wearing, or are mummy wrappings potentially dangerous? Also, what does
having your armor be blessed do for you (it doesn't seem to change the
AC)?

Another thing I found was a spellbook of Identify. Even without my
armor, I have a 100% failure rate with it. If right now I am
experience level 10 and have only 9 wisdom, would it probably be a
while before I could cast that, or might I only need to gain a few more
experience levels? Is there any easy way to improve my wisdom?

I also found a credit card. What do I do with that? Could I use it to
buy things from stores?

Another thing that I was wondering about is that I seem to have lost my
dog. I hit a couple teleport level traps or something like that, and
wasn't able to find him on the new levels or when I went back to the
level I have been on before. If I can't find him, how would I go about
getting a new pet?

One last question. In a bunch of other posts, I saw people talking
about their "stash". Does that just refer to a bunch of items that you
are keeping in a chest somewhere? What kind of items would I want to
save up?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 12:59:48 PM

Calathan wrote:

> First, I read some spoilers and got Excalibur. It is only +1, since I
> hadn't found any long sword better than that.

There are only a few weapons better than Excalibur.
Maybe one maybe two are also long swords. One
maybe two are other weapon types. The exact numbers
depend on personal judgement calls.

> I also found the silver
> saber Werebane. Is that something I want to keep?

In general weapons with names (called artifacts) are
better than other weapons. Artifacts with a monster's
name in their name are only better against that type
of monster. So basically it's not any different
than a regular silver saber unless you're facing some
type of were-monster. One of the artifacts better
than Excalibur is a silver saber but it isn't Werebane.
The good news about Werebane is if you got it as a gift
it freed up your saber skill slot. The bad news is
that as a Valk you started out with that skill slot
open so it didn't matter. It is worth using Werebane
until you have advanced saber to Skilled but beyond
that Excalibur beats it.

Whether you want to keep it depends on how you define
the word. With Excalibur it's not worth carrying
out in the open unless you've patched Nethack to
have a horror movie special level. It may be worth
keeping in a bag of holding until you do get better
weapons, always nice to have a coouple artifacts to
chose from even if they aren't the ideal ones. I
would keep it locked in a chest to keep any other
monster from using it against me as opposed to figuring
out how to render it nonexistant.

> Since I am now an expert with long swords

Not revelvant to Werebane; relevant to Excalibur.
Werebane uses the saber skill slot not the sword
one. Only long swords and katanas use the sword
slot.

> should I use it for two weapon combat?

Artifacts insist on being the primary weapon, so it
would mean using it instead of Excalibur. Definitely
not worth it to switch to Werebanse from Excalibur.

> That
> would mean giving up my +4 small shield, which would take my armor
> class from -8 to -3. Is using two weapons worth it?

Two weapon is worth losing any shield. Some consider
it one of the most powerful features in the game.
Characters capable of it are superior fighters.

You'll want to use a weapon at least as powerful as
Excalibur as the primary and an unnamed silver saber
as the secondary. Lesson to learn first - use Werebane
long enough to advance it to Skilled before putting it
in a chest and only then switch to two weapon. While
doing two weapon hits only accumulate towards the
two weapon skill.

> Also, right now my cloak is a blessed +1 mummy wrapping, since that was
> the only cloak I found that wasn't +0. Is that a good thing to be
> wearing, or are mummy wrappings potentially dangerous?

I don't know if you'd call it good or bad - Otherwise
invisible creatures aren't invisible while wearing a
mummy wrapping.

There is a good reason to wear some cloak other than a
mummy wrapping most of the time, though. If you're
reading spoilers you'll discover that MC=3 cloaks are
far better against a certain class of dangers and mummy
wrapping isn't MC=3.

> Also, what does
> having your armor be blessed do for you (it doesn't seem to change the
> AC)?

Blessed is one more level away from cursed. Blessed
armor is slightly less likely to rust/burn/rot. It
is a good idea to eventuallt have all of your armor
blessed but that is a very low priority goal.

Note that different types of +0 cloaks give different
AC bonuses. Then consider what prices different
cloaks have in shops. There are cloaks where a +0
does nothing for your AC yet it costs more in a shop.
This is part and parcel with the value of MC numbers,
and it's nearly the only way within the game to
figure out MC numbers.

> Another thing I found was a spellbook of Identify. Even without my
> armor, I have a 100% failure rate with it. If right now I am
> experience level 10 and have only 9 wisdom, would it probably be a
> while before I could cast that, or might I only need to gain a few more
> experience levels? Is there any easy way to improve my wisdom?

Even an extremely high level Valk won't get under
50%. Think of it as a future treat when it goes
below 100%.

> I also found a credit card. What do I do with that? Could I use it to
> buy things from stores?

Pry locked doors. There are better tools for that.

> One last question. In a bunch of other posts, I saw people talking
> about their "stash". Does that just refer to a bunch of items that you
> are keeping in a chest somewhere?

I like more than one chest or box for my stash. Also
I tend to keep piles of less problematic items not
even locked up in my stash. What do I care if some
monster comes by and picks up a coupe dozen pieces
of worthless red glass and a few hundred rocks. Or
an assortment of cursed armor for that matter.

> What kind of items would I want to save up?

Person taste issue. Can be every item in the dungeon
that can be carried level to level. Can be only the
most valuable items.

Earlier you asked about armor. Is it always better to
wear more? Not always. The two issues are weight and
two weapon. Were armor heavy enough and you become
burdened carrying only a few other items. Light armor
versus strong armor is a very important issue. The
heaviest armor isn't the best even though most armor
types have better and heavier go together. Discover
the exceptions. On shields two weaponing beats any
shield once you've satisfied other issues.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:18:13 PM

Calathan wrote on 30 Jun 2005 05:19:13 -0700:

> I also found the silver
> saber Werebane. Is that something I want to keep?

No. An ordinary silver saber is better, because you can't #twoweapon two
artifacts. You won't need any sort of silver saber for quite some time,
although it will be handy if Minesend is the catacombs version.

> two weapon combat? That
> would mean giving up my +4 small shield, which would take my armor
> class from -8 to -3.

I'd stick with that shield until you can get at least -10AC without it.
AC below 0 not only reduces monster chance to hit, but reduces some of
the damage dealt to you on successful hits.

> Also, right now my cloak is a blessed +1 mummy wrapping, since that was
> the only cloak I found that wasn't +0.

That's pretty crummy as cloaks go, but the only negative effect of mummy
wrappings is that they suppresses your invisibility, and sometimes you
want that. Read armr-343.txt to find out about better cloaks.

> Another thing I found was a spellbook of Identify. Even without my
> armor, I have a 100% failure rate with it. If right now I am
> experience level 10 and have only 9 wisdom, would it probably be a
> while before I could cast that, or might I only need to gain a few more
> experience levels?

It will probably be a while. A robe would make a huge difference, but
first you would have to kill its current owner...

> how would I go about getting a new pet?

Throw food at a dog, cat, or horse. If it only becomes peaceful, you
threw the wrong kind of food.

> One last question. In a bunch of other posts, I saw people talking
> about their "stash". Does that just refer to a bunch of items that you
> are keeping in a chest somewhere? What kind of items would I want to
> save up?

If you are going to polypile, save just about everything other than
weapons and mundane armor. If not, save items that you might have a use
for in the future; this includes all potions and scrolls.

--
"Sometimes I stand by the door and look into the darkness. Then I
am reminded how dearly I cherish my boredom, and what a precious
commodity is so much misery." -- Jack Vance
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:18:38 PM

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:18:13 -0400
Rast <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote:

| you can't #twoweapon two
| artifacts.
then whats this I hear about people #twoweaponing frosty and mojo?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:34:31 PM

Rast wrote:
> Calathan wrote:
>
> > in Angband you often want to go back and forth between a
> > couple levels for a while until you find better equipment. In Rogue,
> > however, if you stay on one level for a while, you will tend to run out
> > of food and starve.
>
> Nethack is mostly like Rogue. You want to press onward to gain more
> equipment, but there are some situations where it is beneficial to camp
> on a level and "farm" at an altar.

Since corpses are food and monsters carry items it is a
lot more like Angband than like Rogue. Once you have
explored the entire level you have all the items from
the floor but monsters do appear and some carry items.

Until you get poison resistance it's important to
continue descending to find a way to get poison
resistance. Too many monsters are poison to stay on
one level until then. But prayer can help and once
you have poison resistance and means to overcome
issues like hallucination if you want to stay on a
level you can for almost as long as you want.

Staying on a level without certain special features
is not of much use, though. Altar, sink, whatever.

> Nothing changes on a level when you are away from it, so you only revisit
> a past level if something of interest remains on it.

Or if you expect newly appearing monsters to be of use.
The farther up the level is the less use they have.

> > However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
> > guards got angry,
>
> The Minetown guards take offense at the least little thing, don't they?

They protect material from your damage. But have a
dwarf or umber hulk loose on the level and it could
get cleared of every place that doesn't repair itself.
Get a pet willing to kill shopkeepers and the level
can end up completely open without the watch even
noticing.

> > The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing?
>
> You hurt your "Luck" statistic by two points for each murder. The normal
> range of Luck is -10 to +10, and it slowly returns to zero over time.
> Luck affects pretty much everything you do, especially chance-to-hit. So
> yes, you should avoid murder unless you have a good reason for it.

The effects can be reversed, so once you do have a
very good reason consider it a price/effort trade
off.

Pets will often handle it for you.

> After I was expert in the primary weapon I'd #twoweapon with a
> long word or silver saber.

Max both weapons involved first. The watch captain
has 50-50 change long sword or silver saber. Also
army captains deeper in the dungeon. Eventually you
*will* end up with a silver saber for use as your
second weapon if you live to go deep enough.
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 5:39:13 PM

In article <1120133953.104358.88920@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Calathan <Calathan1@aol.com> wrote:

[ Trying not to make this too spoilerish. See the spoilers if you want
more details ]

>First, I read some spoilers and got Excalibur. It is only +1, since I
>hadn't found any long sword better than that. I also found the silver
>saber Werebane. Is that something I want to keep?

Yes. Certain powerful monsters are particularly vulnerable to silver.
Almost as an aside, Werebane is also particularly good against a
different class of monsters (the hint's in the name!), but you probably
won't have too much trouble with them anyway.

>Are mummy wrappings potentially dangerous?

No.

>Also, what does having your armor be blessed do for you

Makes it less likely to become cursed and therefore cause you
problems. That's about it.

>Another thing I found was a spellbook of Identify. Even without my
>armor, I have a 100% failure rate with it. If right now I am
>experience level 10 and have only 9 wisdom, would it probably be a
>while before I could cast that, or might I only need to gain a few more
>experience levels?

Basically, yes.

>Is there any easy way to improve my wisdom?

One type of potion is good for this, although really only when blessed.
Other than that, doing "wise" things will improve your wisdom (see
spoilers!)

>I also found a credit card. What do I do with that?

What would you do if you were outside your house without your keys?

>Could I use it to buy things from stores?

The Shopkeepers is Ye Olde Worlde are somewhat backwards and don't have
connections to Visa or Mastercard unfortunately.

>Another thing that I was wondering about is that I seem to have lost my
>dog. I hit a couple teleport level traps or something like that, and
>wasn't able to find him on the new levels or when I went back to the
>level I have been on before.

When you're off a level, it is frozen (apart from corpse rotting and
possibly some other things I've forgotten). Hence if you leave your pet
on a level, it will be there when you get back. It may be a bit annoyed
with being abandoned though.

The other possibility is that your pet hit a level teleporter or
trapdoor...

>If I can't find him, how would I go about getting a new pet?

How would you make friends with a dog?

>One last question. In a bunch of other posts, I saw people talking
>about their "stash". Does that just refer to a bunch of items that you
>are keeping in a chest somewhere?

Not always a chest, but basically, yes.

>What kind of items would I want to save up?

Things you don't want to carry around now, but might want later.
Unidentified potions, rings, etc.

Cheers,

Phil

--
Philip Kendall <pak21@srcf.ucam.org>
http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~pak21/

On 2005-06-30, noah bedford wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:18:13 -0400
> Rast <rast2@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>| you can't #twoweapon two
>| artifacts.
> then whats this I hear about people #twoweaponing frosty and mojo?

Those people are either engaged in wishfull thinking or they're talking
about Slash'EM, where this is possible. A nethack artifact will resist
being "wielded in the other hand".

Ohle
--
Jann Ohle Claussen | GPG-Key-ID E7149169
http://www.stud.uni-goettingen.de/~s251251

Rast wrote:

>>However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
>>guards got angry,
>
> The Minetown guards take offense at the least little thing, don't they?

No, they take offense only on important things, like picking locks or
drinking from fountains. They don't care for unimportant events, like
killing every living being, casting genocide on whole races, etc. :-}

Janis
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 5:21:24 PM

Quoting Doug Freyburger <dfreybur@yahoo.com>:
>Rast wrote:
>>Nethack is mostly like Rogue. You want to press onward to gain more
>>equipment, but there are some situations where it is beneficial to camp
>>on a level and "farm" at an altar.
>Since corpses are food and monsters carry items it is a
>lot more like Angband than like Rogue.

In the way that monsters do not leave corpses in Angband and, although
they can pick up items, they never use them and are not generated with
starting inventories?
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Saturday, Presuary - a weekend.

In article <1120089391.579313.103760@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
Calathan <Calathan1@aol.com> wrote:
>I just started playing Nethack a couple days ago, and I have several
>questions.

Welcome aboard to the most maddening gam you'll ever play.

> First, I have played Angband a lot and Rogue a little, and
>I know that in Angband you often want to go back and forth between a
>couple levels for a while until you find better equipment.

OK

> In Rogue,
>however, if you stay on one level for a while, you will tend to run out
>of food and starve.

Rogue was a long long long time ago for me.

I'll take your word for it.

> My question is, in Nethack, is it a good idea to
>stay on the early levels for a while until I get better equipment, or
>do I want to keep going deeper once I clear out a level.

Typically better equipment is further into the dungeon.

You need to be aware of the viscious cycle: the more you kill, the more
experience you get. The more experience you get, the tougher the monsters
become. Rinse and repeat.

My first early game goal is getting my AC negative. That has all types of
good effects in game play.

My second early game goal is to get my pet buffed up. Pets in Nethack get
experience too and grow and become for formidable. You can check this by
trying the rename the pet using the 'C' command. kittens become housecats
and then become large cats. Same with dogs (little dog, dog, large dog).
The large variety of pets can clear out a whole lot of dungeon and be an
excellent protector.

> Do monsters
>spawn enough and drop enough food that I won't starve if I stay on old
>levels?

Prayer when weak will stave off hunger. Also prayer when low on HP often
will result in a boost. gods are extremely powerful in the game of Nethack.
Don't piss them off.

>Anyway, I am currently playing as a Valkyrie. This is my first
>character to get past experience level 5 (I am currently level 9). I
>went down to dungeon level 7, where I met the oracle, but then I almost
>got killed by a Mumak (I managed to kill it with a wand of cold), so I
>decided to go try exploring the mines some before going deeper.
>However, I kicked open a locked door in the town in the mines and the
>guards got angry, so I ended up killing them with my wand of cold (that
>wand seems pretty powerful, at least compared to my normal attacks).

It is. It also shows how a powerful pet could be helpful. A large dog/cat
would have taken on both the mumak and the guards.

It also illustrates about the experience issue. If you were not experience
level 9 you wouldn't have gotten a mumak on the Oracle level.

>The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing?

Un. yes! Not too bad though.

> Did I hurt my alignment or something?

Not exactly.

>Also, I have found that I have many items that I know are not cursed,
>but that I haven't been able to identify (including weapons, armor,
>scrolls, gems, etc.). What should I do with these?

Weapons, armor: try to use them if you are sure they are uncursed.
Do a #enhance and check to see if you use a weapon before you wield it.

scrolls, potions: leave them be until you can truly identify them.

spellbooks: read them if they are blessed.

wands: identify via engraving.

> Is there any way
>to tell if the weapons and armor have plusses without using an identify
>scroll on them?

armor yes, weapons no.

> Should I wear as much armor as I can, or is there any
>disadvantage to wearing armor?

Weight and spellcasting minuses are the detriment. Lower AC is the upside.

> Also, I have two rings that I know are
>not cursed. Should I wear those, or might they do bad things but still
>not be cursed?

Wearing rings makes you hungry. I rarely will wear an un'IDed ring.

A trick for you: if you have more than one un'IDed ring you can drop one
down the sink. The sink will identify it for you.

>One more question. I read several other posts about sacrificing things
>at altars or converting altars. How do I go about doing that. Do I
>just bring a corpse to the altar and #offer it?

Bingo. Bring a fresh corpse. Since you are level 9 it doesn't matter if the
altar is to you god or not. You'll most likely convert any altar you come
across. I wouldn't try it on the minetown altar unless it's already your
alignment.

>Anyway, thanks for any help you can give me.

There's tons more. I found the game got a lot more interesting once I started
reading the spoilers. If you're ready for that challenge then start with this

http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/nethack/spoilerlist....

BAJ
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:57:16 AM

On Sat, 2 Jul 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

> Byron A Jeff wrote:
>
>>> The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing?
>>> Did I hurt my alignment or something?
>
> That's what happens if you kill a formerly peaceful human. You have just
> gained the "aggravate monster" intrinsic, and if you had telepathy, you
> have now lost it (IIRC).

You do. I was actually unaware of this despite reading tons of spoilers,
until the first time I lived long enough after ticking off a human to find
out. I had killed a shopkeeper (don't remember why) in the regular
dungeon, and within a few turns I was blinded (by a yellow light or
raven). It was quite a surprise. I don't know if I made the connection
immediately -- it was a long time ago.

>> There's tons more. I found the game got a lot more interesting once I
>> started reading the spoilers.
>
> But also note that figuring things out for yourself is also a lot of
> fun, and once you start reading spoilers, you can't do that figuring out
> thingy anymore: you can never go back to being unspoilt.

This is very true. There are certain things that are just fun to discover
for yourself, and a few I spoiled for myself and wish I hadn't. You have
to really THINK sometimes in nethack and that's one of the fun things.

Possible slight spoilers below. Starting with a not so spoily discovery
(since it was mentioned earlier).
..
..
..

I "discovered" the floating eye corpse deal on my own. I "discovered" the
possibility of pudding farming on my own when one split, but I never found
them on the same level as altars until long after reading rgrn about it
and how to get them down to lower levels. I "discovered" teleportitis,
much to my annoyance, and then discovered what happens when you go into a
shop with it. I also "discovered" what happens if you eat old corpses,
much to my irritation...

I was spoiled about a lot of things, like praying (though I figured a
little out on my own), converting altars, what all the messages mean when
you sacrifice (of course the four leaf clover message was obvious), and
others.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:41:32 AM

Byron A Jeff wrote:

> Typically better equipment is further into the dungeon.

Is that so?

IIRC, armour generation is independent of dungeon level or your level.
Perhaps when you get into a branch, like the Mines, the distribution of
items is a bit more biased towards armour, but all in all it shouldn't
change very much (except for the fact that there are a lot of dwarfs in
the mines, who tend to carry mithril).

> My second early game goal is to get my pet buffed up. Pets in Nethack
> get experience too and grow and become for formidable. You can check
> this by trying the rename the pet using the 'C' command. kittens
> become housecats and then become large cats. Same with dogs (little
> dog, dog, large dog).

Why use the C command for this? You may just as easily use the
;-command.

>> Do monsters spawn enough and drop enough food that I won't starve
>> if I stay on old levels?

> Prayer when weak will stave off hunger. Also prayer when low on HP
> often will result in a boost. gods are extremely powerful in the game
> of Nethack. Don't piss them off.

And to answer the original question: no, usually not. Deeper into the
dungeon, living off corpses is easier since those tend to be larger, and
more nutricious.

The prayer you mention is normally very useful, sometimes necessary. But
atheist ascensions aren't uncommon, so it would be wrong to say that you
really *need* prayer. For a beginner, though...

> It is. It also shows how a powerful pet could be helpful. A large
> dog/cat would have taken on both the mumak and the guards.

I don't recall a cat or dog ever attacking a mumak, but I may be
misremembering.

>> The game called me a murderer. Is this a bad thing?
>> Did I hurt my alignment or something?

That's what happens if you kill a formerly peaceful human. You have just
gained the "aggravate monster" intrinsic, and if you had telepathy, you
have now lost it (IIRC).

Aggravate monster is more or less compensated by stealth; telepathy may
be regained by eating a floating eye corpse.

> Do a #enhance and check to see if you use a weapon before you wield
> it.

I guess you meant "check to see if you CAN use ...".

>> Should I wear as much armor as I can, or is there any
>> disadvantage to wearing armor?

> Weight and spellcasting minuses are the detriment. Lower AC is the
> upside.

But note that casting spells is next to impossible for a low level
valkyrie. Don't bother to even try: wear as much armour as you like.

>> Also, I have two rings that I know are
>> not cursed. Should I wear those, or might they do bad things but
>> still not be cursed?

> Wearing rings makes you hungry. I rarely will wear an un'IDed ring.

Just trying one on will rarely do you any harm (it may be a ring of
polymorph, so take it off immediately if there is no immediately
noticable effect). This will help you identify the rings of levitation
and, more importantly, conflict (if your pet is still with you).

> A trick for you: if you have more than one un'IDed ring you can drop
> one down the sink. The sink will identify it for you.

I'd stick to it to polymorph it into another ring or eat it later, but
that's more of a tactic for experienced players, not for beginners.

> There's tons more. I found the game got a lot more interesting once I
> started reading the spoilers.

But also note that figuring things out for yourself is also a lot of
fun, and once you start reading spoilers, you can't do that figuring out
thingy anymore: you can never go back to being unspoilt.

> If you're ready for that challenge then
> start with this index:

> http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~eva/nethack/spoilerlist....

Or try:
http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/nh/

Different spoilers than on Eva's site, a bit more structured.

--
Boudewijn.

"Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
- Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
July 3, 2005 4:29:23 AM

Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com wrote:
> Rast wrote:
> > The Minetown guards take offense at the least little thing, don't they?
>
> No, they take offense only on important things, like picking locks or
> drinking from fountains. They don't care for unimportant events, like
> killing every living being, casting genocide on whole races, etc. :-}

LOL, good point :)

I'd like to see the watchmen actually try protect the town and its
inhabitants. If some uppity orcish shaman decides to take a swing at
you, the watch should come and cut him to pieces.

Addionally, if they also disposed of the body, it'd make the 'sit around
in Minetown and sacrifice like crazy' strategy slightly harder - you'd
have to kill or lock away all the watchmen first.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
July 3, 2005 5:32:07 PM

Alexis wrote:
> I'd like to see the watchmen actually try protect the town and its
> inhabitants. If some uppity orcish shaman decides to take a swing at
> you, the watch should come and cut him to pieces.

But you're not one of minetown's inhabitants. Those gnomes and dwarfs
you tend to slaughter there, however, are. So if the minetown watch
really were to protect it's citizens, they wouldn't fight for but
against you.

--
If geiger counter does not click,
the coffee, she is just not thick

sepp00@web.de wrote:
> Alexis wrote:
> > I'd like to see the watchmen actually try protect the town and its
> > inhabitants. If some uppity orcish shaman decides to take a swing at
> > you, the watch should come and cut him to pieces.
>
> But you're not one of minetown's inhabitants. Those gnomes and dwarfs
> you tend to slaughter there, however, are. So if the minetown watch
> really were to protect it's citizens, they wouldn't fight for but
> against you.

The amount of time I spend hanging around the altar there, I think I
*should* be classed as an inhabitant! :)

The job of a town watch is to keep the peace, isn't it? So you'd think
that they should try to break up fights at least. How this could be
done elegantly in the game, I dunno.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com
July 3, 2005 6:24:29 PM

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Alexis wrote:

> sepp00@web.de wrote:
> > Alexis wrote:
> > > I'd like to see the watchmen actually try protect the town and its
> > > inhabitants. If some uppity orcish shaman decides to take a swing at
> > > you, the watch should come and cut him to pieces.
> >
> > But you're not one of minetown's inhabitants. Those gnomes and dwarfs
> > you tend to slaughter there, however, are. So if the minetown watch
> > really were to protect it's citizens, they wouldn't fight for but
> > against you.
>
> The amount of time I spend hanging around the altar there, I think I
> *should* be classed as an inhabitant! :)
>
> The job of a town watch is to keep the peace, isn't it? So you'd think
> that they should try to break up fights at least. How this could be
> done elegantly in the game, I dunno.

Cast teleportation to separate the fighters ? Then, they would be a real
trouble...

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:24:55 PM

Jym wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jul 2005, Alexis wrote:
>
>>The job of a town watch is to keep the peace, isn't it? So you'd think
>>that they should try to break up fights at least. How this could be
>>done elegantly in the game, I dunno.
>
> Cast teleportation to separate the fighters ? Then, they would be a real
> trouble...

Hehehe.. <evil snicker> :-]

Janis