What to polymorph into?

I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
Ascension. I already have more than I need AND ELEVEN WISHES LEFT. So
I figured I'd do it differently this time. I just acquired an amulet
of unchanging so I figure I want to polymorph into some creature and
complete the game that way. I already have wands of polymorph and a
ring of polymorph control, so getting polymorphed is no problem.

With that said, what should I polymorph into? Ideally it should be
capable of wielding weapons and all of the other things player
characters can do (opening doors, reading scrolls, etc.) So ... any
suggestions? Also, I should take off my GDSM before I attempt to
polymorph, right?

Cyde Weys wrote:
> I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
> Ascension. I already have more than I need AND ELEVEN WISHES LEFT. So
> I figured I'd do it differently this time. I just acquired an amulet
> of unchanging so I figure I want to polymorph into some creature and
> complete the game that way. I already have wands of polymorph and a
> ring of polymorph control, so getting polymorphed is no problem.
>
> With that said, what should I polymorph into? Ideally it should be
> capable of wielding weapons and all of the other things player
> characters can do (opening doors, reading scrolls, etc.) So ... any
> suggestions? Also, I should take off my GDSM before I attempt to
> polymorph, right?

Marilith, maybe? I think you get *lots* of attacks with Marilith. I
don't know if you can wear boots with Marilith though. You might need
to cast speed spell to keep yourself fast.

-K

Kremti wrote:
> Cyde Weys wrote:
> > I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
> > Ascension. I already have more than I need AND ELEVEN WISHES LEFT. So
> > I figured I'd do it differently this time. I just acquired an amulet
> > of unchanging so I figure I want to polymorph into some creature and
> > complete the game that way. I already have wands of polymorph and a
> > ring of polymorph control, so getting polymorphed is no problem.
> >
> > With that said, what should I polymorph into? Ideally it should be
> > capable of wielding weapons and all of the other things player
> > characters can do (opening doors, reading scrolls, etc.) So ... any
> > suggestions? Also, I should take off my GDSM before I attempt to
> > polymorph, right?
>
> Marilith, maybe? I think you get *lots* of attacks with Marilith. I
> don't know if you can wear boots with Marilith though. You might need
> to cast speed spell to keep yourself fast.

Does speed really matter *that* much? My AC is -96 :-O

AC -96...
11 SPARE wishes...
Man, go play the lottery or try to encounter a supermodel with that
kind of luck!

Cyde Weys wrote:
> I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
> Ascension. I already have more than I need AND ELEVEN WISHES LEFT. So
> I figured I'd do it differently this time. I just acquired an amulet
> of unchanging so I figure I want to polymorph into some creature and
> complete the game that way. I already have wands of polymorph and a
> ring of polymorph control, so getting polymorphed is no problem.
>
> With that said, what should I polymorph into? Ideally it should be
> capable of wielding weapons and all of the other things player
> characters can do (opening doors, reading scrolls, etc.) So ... any
> suggestions? Also, I should take off my GDSM before I attempt to
> polymorph, right?

Well, Vampire Lords are pretty much just like PCs but with unbreathing,
undead, and flying, plus the bite attack. So that might be a good choice.

My other favorite choice is Xorns. It's amazingly fun to be able to walk
through walls. No more opening doors, digging out routes, etc. You don't
get to wear armor or cloaks, but you DO have a plethora of useful
intrinsics including MR and stoning resistance! It sounds like you're at
a point where you could just mess around and a Xorn is perfect for that.

Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> In article <Xns9686260B3DF9D2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys wrote:
> > Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in news:M_4xe.6460
> > $Eo.3784@fed1read04:
>
> >> Well, Vampire Lords are pretty much just like PCs but with unbreathing,
> >> undead, and flying, plus the bite attack. So that might be a good choice.
>
> > Wow, that does sound good. I shall try those.
>
> Remember the footrices...

Long genocided :p

You don't think footrices would still be around if I had any spare
wishes, do you? More than any other monster, these guys caused me the
worst gut-wrenching deaths.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Cyde Weys wrote:
> Panu Lahtinen wrote:
> > In article <Xns9686260B3DF9D2galopagosterrapincy@199.45.49.11>, Cyde Weys wrote:
> > > Andy Johnson <swervy.aTAKE@this-out.gmail.com> wrote in news:M_4xe.6460
> > > $Eo.3784@fed1read04:

> > > Wow, that does sound good. I shall try those.
> >
> > Remember the footrices...
>
> Long genocided :p
>
> You don't think footrices would still be around if I had any spare
> wishes, do you? More than any other monster, these guys caused me the
> worst gut-wrenching deaths.

Does biting into a Green Slime kill a vampire? You might wanna think
about genociding those too, if you wanna avoid the YASD.

-K

In article <1120195813.918732.259880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, cactus
of doom wrote:

> AC -96...
> 11 SPARE wishes...
> Man, go play the lottery or try to encounter a supermodel with that
> kind of luck!

Seems like an extinctionist/pudding farming game..

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

Panu Lahtinen <pnuu@iki.fi> wrote in

> In article <1120195813.918732.259880@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> cactus of doom wrote:
>
>> AC -96...
>> 11 SPARE wishes...
>> Man, go play the lottery or try to encounter a supermodel with that
>> kind of luck!
>
> Seems like an extinctionist/pudding farming game..

Nope, not exctinctionist, but automated pudding farming.

Yeah, you heard me right. After putting 8 man-hours into pudding farming I
realized just how ridiculous it all was and went and got a pudding farming
bot.

Needless to say, I'm not going to be pudding farming in any of my games
from here on out.

--

"Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

> I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
> Ascension.

Shhh! The RNG will hear you!

Nick

--
# sigmask (lambda deprecation version) 20041028 || feed this to a python
print ''.join([chr(ord(x)-1) for x in 'Ojdl!Wbshjti!=ojdlAwbshjti/psh?'])

Quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
>Yeah, you heard me right. After putting 8 man-hours into pudding farming I
>realized just how ridiculous it all was and went and got a pudding farming
>bot.

Quit now and keep your pride.
--
David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> Kill the tomato!
Today is First Saturday, Presuary - a weekend.

David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
>>Yeah, you heard me right. After putting 8 man-hours into pudding farming I
>>realized just how ridiculous it all was and went and got a pudding farming
>>bot.
>
> Quit now and keep your pride.

What is pudding farming?

--
"The life of a repoman is always intense."

playbass wrote:
> What is pudding farming?

Fighting puddings with a rusty spatula, so as to cause them to
split faster than you can kill them. This results in many, many pudding
corpses (fit for sacrificing), and much death-dropped gear. With a
little care, you can keep it up indefinitely, getting as many god-gifts
and as much loot as you want.

--
John Campbell
jcampbel@lynn.ci-n.com

"Kremti" <kremti@gmail.com> wrote in

> Cyde Weys wrote:
>> Panu Lahtinen wrote:

>> > Remember the footrices...
>>
>> Long genocided :p
>>
>> You don't think footrices would still be around if I had any spare
>> wishes, do you? More than any other monster, these guys caused me
>> the worst gut-wrenching deaths.
>
> Does biting into a Green Slime kill a vampire? You might wanna think
> about genociding those too, if you wanna avoid the YASD.

I briefly got very afraid fighting green slimes but they didn't appear to
have any effect. So for the bite attack - just worry about the footrices.

--

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote in

> "Cyde Weys" <cyde@umd.edu> writes:
>
>> I have a game that's going really well. It's pretty much a guaranteed
>> Ascension.
>
> Shhh! The RNG will hear you!

I know what you're thinking, but the RNG doesn't read newsgroups :p

And I did end up Ascending. I mean, with most pesky species genocided and
an AC of -123 through the endgame ... what in the hell can hurt me?!

Also, I was a vampire lord. Flying and immunity to insta-death effects are
very nice.

I'm recalling from memory here, but it went something like:

"Death touches you, but you're already dead!"

--

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> wrote in

> Also, I was a vampire lord. Flying and immunity to insta-death
> effects are very nice.
>
> I'm recalling from memory here, but it went something like:
>
> "Death touches you, but you're already dead!"

Errr, make that Vlad.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

John Campbell wrote:

>> What is pudding farming?
>
> Fighting puddings with a rusty spatula, so as to cause them to
> split faster than you can kill them. This results in many, many pudding
> corpses (fit for sacrificing), and much death-dropped gear. With a
> little care, you can keep it up indefinitely, getting as many god-gifts
> and as much loot as you want.

Okay, now we need a new weapon, the spatula, which can be applied to
flip a pudding to an adjescent square.
Because the mental image of a happily humming adventurer flipping around
and poking his puddings for optimal farming is simply hilarious.
Could be a shovel too, which could be applied as a pick-axe, but only
downwards.

Also: Waders.

Sean wrote:

> John Campbell wrote:
>
>>> What is pudding farming?
>>

>> Fighting puddings with a rusty spatula,
>

> Okay, now we need a new weapon, the spatula, which can be applied to
> flip a pudding
>
> Also: Waders.

Weapon: white rubber handled 2 handed spatula
Cost: 50
weight: 120
Prob: tool
material: PLAS
ABCH KMPRaRo STVW +HIT SDAM SAVG LDAM LAVG
b--s -bsEb -E-b -2 d4+1 d2+1

Instantly kills grid bugs, spiders, and lizards. May be used to train
pets not to eat food they are not fed.
special: will flip all jellys, puddings, slime, quivering blobs, etc
onto their back to expose the vulnerable section. As a weapon, wielder
is protected from all "contact" attacks: cold, heat, shock, poison,
etc. May cause females (nurses, nymphs, cooks, Betty Crocker, etc) to
obstreperously engage you in conversation; only speed or drunkeness will
allow you to escape. Charisma increased in Deli's and General Stores
when weilding and wearing an apron/fedora.

Did I forget any stereotypes?

Sean <sgegg@hotspammeallyouwantpop.com> wrote in news:aFixe.57849
$Fe7.190106@news000.worldonline.dk:

> John Campbell wrote:
>
>>> What is pudding farming?
>>
>> Fighting puddings with a rusty spatula, so as to cause them to
>> split faster than you can kill them. This results in many, many pudding
>> corpses (fit for sacrificing), and much death-dropped gear. With a
>> little care, you can keep it up indefinitely, getting as many god-gifts
>> and as much loot as you want.
>
> Okay, now we need a new weapon, the spatula, which can be applied to
> flip a pudding to an adjescent square.
> Because the mental image of a happily humming adventurer flipping around
> and poking his puddings for optimal farming is simply hilarious.
> Could be a shovel too, which could be applied as a pick-axe, but only
> downwards.
>
> Also: Waders.

Hahaha, all great ideas.

How about a pitchfork.

--

playbass <nathan@diaspar.depauw.edu> writes:

> David Damerell <damerell@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> > Quoting Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu>:
> >>Yeah, you heard me right. After putting 8 man-hours into pudding
> >>farming I realized just how ridiculous it all was and went and got
> >>a pudding farming bot.
> >
> > Quit now and keep your pride.
>
> What is pudding farming?

Puddings split when hit with a suitable weapon, and they leave corpses
and do death-drop (i.e., have chance of a random item to be created
when they die). Moreover, brown puddings do 0 damage. Hence, the
second you meet a brown pudding, you'll have an almost--guaranteed
ascension if you want to spend the time to slaughter ~100k puddings.

Needless to say, some people find that abusive and not a 'real'
kind of ascension. PLenty of debate about this subject available
via google archive.

Best,
Jakob

Gary Olson wrote:
> Sean wrote:

> >> Fighting puddings with a rusty spatula,
> >

> > Okay, now we need a new weapon, the spatula, which can be applied to
> > flip a pudding
> >
> > Also: Waders.
>
> Weapon: white rubber handled 2 handed spatula
> Cost: 50
> weight: 120
> Prob: tool
> material: PLAS
> ABCH KMPRaRo STVW +HIT SDAM SAVG LDAM LAVG
> b--s -bsEb -E-b -2 d4+1 d2+1
>
> Instantly kills grid bugs, spiders, and lizards. May be used to train
> pets not to eat food they are not fed.
> special: will flip all jellys, puddings, slime, quivering blobs, etc
> onto their back to expose the vulnerable section. As a weapon, wielder
> is protected from all "contact" attacks: cold, heat, shock, poison,
> etc. May cause females (nurses, nymphs, cooks, Betty Crocker, etc) to
> obstreperously engage you in conversation; only speed or drunkeness will
> allow you to escape. Charisma increased in Deli's and General Stores
> when weilding and wearing an apron/fedora.
>
> Did I forget any stereotypes?

You forgot it should be able to flip pancakes. I'm not sure exactly
why this would be useful.

New idea: dented pot + pancake + adjacent lava pool to cook on = hot
pancakes to flip at enemies as melee weapons while wielding a spatula.
If barehanded and not wielding a spatula, burn hands for 2 damage.

Or....not.

rmcneive@andrew.cmu.edu wrote:

>Gary Olson wrote:
>

>>Sean wrote:

>>>Okay, now we need a new weapon, the spatula, which can be applied to
>>>flip a pudding
>>>
>>>Also: Waders.
>>>

>>Weapon: white rubber handled 2 handed spatula
>>Cost: 50
>>weight: 120
>>Prob: tool
>>material: PLAS
>>ABCH KMPRaRo STVW +HIT SDAM SAVG LDAM LAVG
>>b--s -bsEb -E-b -2 d4+1 d2+1
>>
>>Instantly kills grid bugs, spiders, and lizards. May be used to train
>>pets not to eat food they are not fed.
>>special: will flip all jellys, puddings, slime, quivering blobs, etc
>>onto their back to expose the vulnerable section. As a weapon, wielder
>>is protected from all "contact" attacks: cold, heat, shock, poison,
>>etc. May cause females (nurses, nymphs, cooks, Betty Crocker, etc) to
>>obstreperously engage you in conversation; only speed or drunkeness will
>>allow you to escape. Charisma increased in Deli's and General Stores
>>when weilding and wearing an apron/fedora.
>>
>>Did I forget any stereotypes?
>>

>You forgot it should be able to flip pancakes. I'm not sure exactly
>why this would be useful.
>
>New idea: dented pot + pancake + adjacent lava pool to cook on = hot
>pancakes to flip at enemies as melee weapons while wielding a spatula.
>If barehanded and not wielding a spatula, burn hands for 2 damage.
>
>Or....not.

And/or dented pot + lava pool + eggs! Do rubber chicken eggs still rock
your day when cooked over medium?

Minetown needs a good restaraunt.