Dell Dimension 8200 Upgrade

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
August 31, 2004 10:19:29 AM

My original Dimension 8200 was configured with an 80 Gig HD and 512 Meg
RDRAM running Windows XP Home. I recently added a 250 Gig Western Digital
Harddrive partitioned into two equal sections. The new harddrive is
recognized by Windows and the BIOS.

Before the install I was running Roxio GoBack. After the new harddrive was
installed I reinstalled GoBack so that all harddrives would be protected.
It seems that GoBack only recognizes the original 80 Gig HD for protection.
It sees the new drive but won't give me the option to add protection for it.

I think it may have something to do with the dynamic drive overlay (DDO)
that Western Digital used to partition the new drive.

Is there any way to defeat this so that GoBack will see all of the drives?
Thank you very much for any help provided.
Anonymous
August 31, 2004 10:19:30 AM

Buy a $30 PCI IDE card that supports 48-bit LBA addressing. Plug the new
drive into that, after removing the DDO software.

You'll likely have to back up everything off the drive and repartition it.

Tom
"Joe" <jwhorvath1nospam@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> My original Dimension 8200 was configured with an 80 Gig HD and 512 Meg
> RDRAM running Windows XP Home. I recently added a 250 Gig Western Digital
> Harddrive partitioned into two equal sections. The new harddrive is
> recognized by Windows and the BIOS.
>
> Before the install I was running Roxio GoBack. After the new harddrive
> was
> installed I reinstalled GoBack so that all harddrives would be protected.
> It seems that GoBack only recognizes the original 80 Gig HD for
> protection.
> It sees the new drive but won't give me the option to add protection for
> it.
>
> I think it may have something to do with the dynamic drive overlay (DDO)
> that Western Digital used to partition the new drive.
>
> Is there any way to defeat this so that GoBack will see all of the drives?
> Thank you very much for any help provided.

Anonymous
August 31, 2004 4:47:57 PM

Is a PCI card even required, or does the BIOS recognize 250GB drives all by
itself with 48-bit LBA?

It is a crying shame that WD (and others) include their drive overlay software
with retail-packaged hard drives. Many uninformed people simply go ahead and
use it, thinking that it is absolutely necessary when it is often not required.
And so, their computers and their lives become more complicated... Ben Myers

!