Source diving, find interesting artifact set-ups

I've been diving through the source and I
encountered some unexpected spots were an item
could be created as an artifact.

Armor could be created as an artifact if
any existed in vanilla. The code is in mkobj.c
so spontaneous creations like in shops or on
the floor could trigger it as soon as any
non-Quest artifact armor was added to the
tables>

case ARMOR_CLASS:
if (artif && !rn2(40))
otmp = mk_artifact(otmp, (aligntyp)A_NONE);

All of the ones below would need extra code in
mkobj.c, but non-Quest artifact rings, gems, corpses,
spellbooks, balls or chains are already set up to
be added.

Kick or sipping from a sink could make an artifact
ring if any existed:

You("find a ring in the sink!");
(void) mkobj_at(RING_CLASS, u.ux, u.uy, TRUE);

Kicking a throne could make an artifact gem
if any existed other than a Quest item:

(void) mksobj_at(rnd_class(DILITHIUM_CRYSTAL,
LUCKSTONE-1), x, y, FALSE, TRUE);

If there were any artifact corpses, one could
be inside of an icebox. Sounds like a horror
movie:

if (box->otyp == ICE_BOX) {
if (!(otmp = mksobj(CORPSE, TRUE, TRUE))) continue;
/* Note: setting age to 0 is correct. Age has a different
* from usual meaning for objects stored in ice boxes. -KAA
*/
otmp->age = 0L;
if (otmp->timed) {
(void) stop_timer(ROT_CORPSE, (genericptr_t)otmp);
(void) stop_timer(REVIVE_MON, (genericptr_t)otmp);
}

If there were any artifact spellbooks one could
appear as a prayer gift:

at_your_feet("An object");
/* not yet known spells given preference over already known ones */
/* Also, try to grant a spell for which there is a skill slot */
otmp = mkobj(SPBOOK_CLASS, TRUE);

Artifact ball or chain, anyone:

setworn(mkobj(CHAIN_CLASS, TRUE), W_CHAIN);
setworn(mkobj(BALL_CLASS, TRUE), W_BALL);

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> I've been diving through the source and I
> encountered some unexpected spots were an item
> could be created as an artifact.
> [snip]

That is very careful and considerate coding. Imagine the look on
somebody's face who adds an artifact ring to the game, then finds it
appearing in a shop because the Dev Team has already provided for it!

I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
corpse :)

gnohmon wrote:
> I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
> corpse :)

Maybe unique monsters should leave artifact corpses? Maybe if you used
Stone To Flesh on the Peresus statue?

- John H.

gnohmon wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
> > I've been diving through the source and I
> > encountered some unexpected spots were an item
> > could be created as an artifact.
>
> That is very careful and considerate coding. Imagine the look on
> somebody's face who adds an artifact ring to the game, then finds it
> appearing in a shop because the Dev Team has already provided for it!

Exactly. Or taking an example that's already in
the game imagine encountering 20+ arch lichs and
one of them ends up armed with Magicbane just like
encountering 20+ angels will likely get you
Demonbane or Sunsword. (Both great ways to
collect the whole set ;^)

> I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
> corpse :)

Since the code includes a hold on the revive time,
sounds like it calls for a troll to me. There are
plenty of trolls in Norse Lore but they are just
targets for Thor and generally don't have names
that make it into the stories.

You open the icebox. You see Freyburger the ice
troll. Remove? y. Freyburger the ice troll comes
to life! Your pet ice troll hits the floating eye.
Freyburger is frozen by the floating eye's gaze ...

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:10:16 +0200
Janis Papanagnou <Janis_Papanagnou@hotmail.com> wrote:

| gnohmon wrote:
| > Doug Freyburger wrote:
| >
| >>I've been diving through the source and I
| >>encountered some unexpected spots were an item
| >>could be created as an artifact.
| >>[snip]
| >
| > That is very careful and considerate coding. Imagine the look on
| > somebody's face who adds an artifact ring to the game, then finds it
| > appearing in a shop because the Dev Team has already provided for it!
| >
| > I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
| > corpse :)
|
| Would the corpse of Slash'ems Beholder, the eye of the Beholder, count
| as an artifact corpse? It's also unique.
|
| Janis
hmmmm... well, in wizmode you can wish for a tin of beholder meat,
but then again you can wish for a tin of gas spore also.

| setworn(mkobj(CHAIN_CLASS, TRUE), W_CHAIN);
| setworn(mkobj(BALL_CLASS, TRUE), W_BALL);
a bowling ball? a key-chain?

gnohmon@panix.com wrote:

> I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
> corpse :)

Well, it's not an entire corpse, but how about the Hand (or Eye) of Vecna?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening

Jym wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>
>> gnohmon@panix.com wrote:
>>
>>> I am wracking my brain trying to come up with a YANI for an artifact
>>> corpse :)
>>
>> Well, it's not an entire corpse, but how about the Hand (or Eye) of
>> Vecna?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna
>
> The hand (together with Vecna) exists in slash'em.
> http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/spoilers/arti_007e6.txt

Is it a "%"?

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Benjamin Lewis wrote:

> Jym wrote:

> >> Well, it's not an entire corpse, but how about the Hand (or Eye) of
> >> Vecna?
> >>
> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_Vecna
> >
> > The hand (together with Vecna) exists in slash'em.
> > http://www.angelfire.com/trek/mazewest/spoilers/arti_007e6.txt
>
> Is it a "%"?

Yes, it is "comestible". But:
Eaten
Does 150-199 hp damage
("You feel the hand scrabbling around inside of you!")

Not that there are two other "body part artefact": a unihorn providing
reflection when wielded (tool) and "the eye of the beholder" (also
comestible but with the same effects than the hand when eaten).

These trhee artefact are generated when killing the corresponding owner,
in eahc of the three aligned quest (one level each, providing these
artefact plus an aligned key useful to open unbreakable doors in Vlad's
tower).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.