AMD Athlon "C"

G

I'm trying 2 put a Toms PowerBox 2gether and in the article he talks about an AMD Athlon C-type so I was just wondering if its the T-bird CPU with 266 Mhz or what?? Plz help me out and plz give my some ideas of improving the PowerBox 'cause the article is pretty old (I'm most concerned about the Motherboard(MS-6341))

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i think youll be able to put toghether something a bit more poowerful than the powerbox (as in imagine a 1.4ghz AYHJA o/cs to 1.8 ghz which is potentially possible) and geforce 3 is out so you can use that overclocked...

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

G

Hi and thank you 4 your help...
The reason why im putting 2gether an "old" powerbox is because of the current value of the parts. They are alot lower priced now 'cause they are not state of the art part anymore. But the powerbox is still pretty powerful...wont u say?
So...what i really wanna know is;
he recommends a Geforce 2 ULTRA but is that most preformance 4 the money or what do you think?? And should I get the 64 mb or the 32 mb (I want it with TV-in/out and TV-tuner).
NeXuZ

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nexuz on 06/19/01 12:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

-The GF3 is faster, and has more features.

-Why would he not need/want that extra 20fps-30fps for gaming? That's enought to jack up the res. at least one notch!

I AM Canadian.

G

GeForce2 Ultra does not have any "extra 10-20fps" over GeForce3. GeForce3 is faster than GeForce2 Ultra even in today's games.

Leo

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
from what I've seen, the 20-30fps only exist in certain apps, most of the time the G3 is faster.
either way it doesn't add up to a resolution increase.

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
as a matter of fact, if my damn graphics card allowed it, yes I would.
and I was backing you up, the Ultra DOES outperform the GF3 on certain apps, but once you crank the res, the GF3 barely outdoes the GF2.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
GF3 runs at a lower clock, right? lower clock = higher yields = less waste.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Geez...don't you people ever learn? Clock speed isn't everything. Why do you think the Pentium 66MHz was faster than the 486's running at 100MHz?

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Y'know, Fatburger, you just about pissed me off, but I'm going to try to be civil and explain this so that you can understand.
to make a processor(in this case a GPU) you have to have a certain amount of precision, the more precise the manufacturing process, the more likely to have a few failures. everything doesn't always work perfectly.
The Geforce 2 Ultra runs at 230Mhz, it takes more precise, more accurate process to make that consistantly.
200mhz is easier to produce in bulk than 230mhz. so take your "Geez...don't you people ever learn? " and preach to someone else.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Sorry, it's been a long week, I realized that it came out harsher than it was supposed to.
I just mean that the GeForce 4 is faster not because it has a higher clock speed, but because it has features to make it work better. Graphics chip companies (nVidia, ATI, etc.) are starting to realize that they can make chips that don't render everything fully all the time. For instance, if you're in a living room, behind a couch, it won't render the coffee table that you can't see concealed behind it. Older cards will.
I believe that's something that's new with the GeForce 3 (don't know about ATI or any other companies).

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yea, I know the feeling, I've had a happy happy joy joy week here too, or I wouldn't have been as snappy in return...
anyways, you have it backward, don't you? GF3 has a LOWER clock, doesn't it? ultra is 230, GF3 is 200... that was my point, they are having better yields with the GF3 than they are with the GF2 Ultra, thus the GF3 is cheaper.

----------------------
It won't hurt for long.