Sign in with
Your question

New drive, two OS'

Tags:
  • Western Digital
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 2, 2003 10:16:07 PM

I have bought a new WD 80GB 8MB drive, and currently have a 15GB Maxtor 7200RPM with WinXP, and a slave 6.4GB Fugitsu 5400RPM. I am to rid myself of the Fugitsu drive, and put the 15GB as slave. What I would like to know, if I set the 15GB with the current WinXP on it, to slave, and install the new drive as Master with WinXP, am I right to assume the slave will no longer be read for any OS, and in fact it's safe to later on delete the WinXP folder in the 15GB?

If I am not mistaken I can partition my new drive through the WinXP Home installation setup, since I want 8GB for OS and 72GB for system.

I will do all this tommorow afternoon so I'd appreciate any replies within today or tommorow morning!

Thanks in advance guys,
Eden

--
Help the THGC Photo Album project by promoting this URL to your sig! http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...

More about : drive

January 3, 2003 4:10:58 AM

I've tried to partition new drives using WinXP, but it doesn't work, espcially during setup. WinXP has the feature to allow you to partition it, but you must have XP running, then you can partition the non-current drive/parition.

But if you want to partition that 80GB then install WinXP try using fdisk off the win98se startup disk. Partition the disk beforehand and then install winxp. I'm not sure Winxp setup has an option to allow you to partition the drive, it just says if you would like to use the current partition.

-----
<b>All the world's problems can be solved through COMMON SENSE<b>
January 4, 2003 2:26:15 AM

Actually, I did the installation, it did allow me to create partitions!
I created an 8GB main OS one and a secondary one of 68GB (of course like any drive, it doesn't come at the exact advertised amount, this one is at 76GB), and it left a small 8MB unpartitioned space. Dunno if it's normal of if it even matters!

However the whole shebang to get the new drive working was a mess, a pain in the butt, took my 5 hours to set things straight, tweaking between jumpers from old drives which just don't work too well with their jumper settings. Thank god I had my dad's laptop with internet access. But at least I learned how to install drives and OS', finally saving some $$$ from letting the tech people do it instead!

--
Help the THGC Photo Album project by promoting this URL to your sig! http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&...
Related resources
January 8, 2003 3:24:29 PM

I would like to do the same thing, so my question is, was there any tricks to do it or did you see an option in setup to create a partition? I would like to install the OS on an 8 GB partition, but that brings up other questions I have.

1. Is there an easy way to set up all the user accounts on the second drive/partition? So My Documents, My Pictures, etc. all show up on the other drive.

2. Is there a way to make the default installation drive D: instead of C:? I am building this for my in-laws and if you have to manually select a different drive each time you install something I am afraid that they will run out of space on drive C real quick and have problems when they still have 60 GB of space left.

If there is no solution to my second question, I might just leave the drive as one partition and let them suffer with a little less performance, but with a lot less headache later on.
January 8, 2003 11:46:04 PM

Quote:
I would like to do the same thing, so my question is, was there any tricks to do it or did you see an option in setup to create a partition?

Nope, WinXP's setup itself will ask you to create partitions if you don't have any. You must create one even if you plan to use the entire drive as one, as it will count as the Physical Logical 1 drive. And with that you format its filesystem, so while a formatting isn't a partition necessarily, a partition can be considered formatting!

Quote:
1. Is there an easy way to set up all the user accounts on the second drive/partition? So My Documents, My Pictures, etc. all show up on the other drive.

I don't get what you mean. You can manually save your documents and pictures, and copy them back on the new partition. User Accounts are made usually on the OS partition itself.
Quote:
2. Is there a way to make the default installation drive D: instead of C:? I am building this for my in-laws and if you have to manually select a different drive each time you install something I am afraid that they will run out of space on drive C real quick and have problems when they still have 60 GB of space left.

I don't think I have seen any drives with the primary OS, labelled other than C. So I cannot answer this with certainty, however in my experience, no you can't. They will have to learn to switch drive letters by instinct, over time.

--
Posting from the garden of Eden...
January 9, 2003 1:28:42 PM

Quote:
I don't get what you mean. You can manually save your documents and pictures, and copy them back on the new partition. User Accounts are made usually on the OS partition itself.

Well the reason why I asked is because here at work, all the computers come with XP and the hard drive is in 2 partitions. Windows XP automatically creates a few folders for each user (My Documents, My Music, My Pictures) so if you click on those folder shortcuts from the start menu it brings you to those folders. Also when you download things from the Internet it goes to My Documents by default. When you save a picture, it goes to My Pictures by default. Etc. Anyway, on the computers here at work, all those folders are set up on drive D, so you can fill up those personal folders and never clutter the partition that the OS is on. So I know it is possible, I just wondered how to do it, because like you said, by default, Windows creates them on the primary partition with the OS.

Quote:
I don't think I have seen any drives with the primary OS, labelled other than C. So I cannot answer this with certainty, however in my experience, no you can't. They will have to learn to switch drive letters by instinct, over time.

That is what I was thinking also. I was just hoping that I was wrong. I think that I'll just leave the whole drive as one partition because the people I am building the computer for are far from being capable computer users.

I am still curious about the first question because I would still like to do that when I finally get a new Hard drive for my personal computer.

I wonder if you can just move those folders wherever you want and Windows will automatically change the shortcuts. It probably is as simple as that. Although here at work when you create a new account, it puts the folders on Drive D without doing any moving.
January 10, 2003 1:45:23 AM

Hmm, I know for one that Windows always remembers the last saved location, so when you will move your folders to the D drive, and save there, from then on it will always start at that location.
As for shortcuts, I think you can manually just set the target path from the folder or file Properties.

Finally, lemme tell you, after a second formatting since my new drive, I am still thankful I did this partitioning. Because I could not access WindowsXP, I had to format again the partition. So you can imagine if one day a bug occurs which you cannot recover or get into Windows anymore, whether with Safe Mode or anything, then at least you can rest assured, the other drive/partition is still alive and kicking, backing your stuff up!

Look, anyone, as dumb as they could be, or as forgetful as they could be, can be taught how to put files on the right drive, no matter how newbie they are. I think you can do that job of teaching them!

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:
!