[S] Offering drained corpses

Last response: in Video Games
July 4, 2005 12:28:49 AM

Im playing a very sucesfull vamp barbarian, who has completed the mines
and just completed sokoban, but I had to pray several times for food
whilst doing that, and the last time, just after I finished it, I must
have been to early, as my god was displeased. I ran around and managed
to find a few monsters to drain, a couple of times whilst fainting, and
Ive now found an alter, blanked all my scrolls and wrote a stack of
create monster, read them, drained corpses, then offered, and Ive
offered a heap of them, but still my god is not happy, and I am
constantly hungry / weak.

My q is is it better to offer the corpses undrained, will that make my
god happier?
Also, Im guessing as a vamp I should have put off sokabon untill I
found a ring of SD / med kit? Oh well, guess I'll learn for next time.

Marky Mark
Anonymous
July 4, 2005 6:06:41 PM

On Mon, 3 Jul 2005, Marky Mark wrote:

> Im playing a very sucesfull vamp barbarian, who has completed the mines
> and just completed sokoban, but I had to pray several times for food
> whilst doing that, and the last time, just after I finished it, I must
> have been to early, as my god was displeased. I ran around and managed
> to find a few monsters to drain, a couple of times whilst fainting, and
> Ive now found an alter, blanked all my scrolls and wrote a stack of
> create monster, read them, drained corpses, then offered, and Ive
> offered a heap of them, but still my god is not happy, and I am
> constantly hungry / weak.
>
> My q is is it better to offer the corpses undrained, will that make my
> god happier?

AFAIK, no, that would be the same. The problem is that a pissed off god
usually need high level sacrifices to be nice again, merely sacing gnomes
is no sufficient, iirc (there exists somewhere a spoiler detailling all
that for nethack).

Draining is the nice thing with Vampires: the corpse can be used both for
you and for your god/pet. And conversely, a pet vampire can feed itself
and still leaves you something eatable/sacable.

> Also, Im guessing as a vamp I should have put off sokabon untill I
> found a ring of SD / med kit? Oh well, guess I'll learn for next time.

Yes, maybe. Mines are nice with vampires (especially fighters) since there
is many monsters in it to eat while fighting (but you shoyuld not stay too
long in minetown) as well as most of other special levels (grund's is a
great food display). Credit cloning is a real pain with Vampire, and as a
Vampire I would probably use an early wish on either ring of SD or medical
kits (medical kits allow you to, at the same time, keep your level low and
make food. Plus once holy water become common you will not even loose HPs
in the process, making it even better. Plus you can perform the old trick
with your constitution to max out your HPs. Of course, this is not so
interesting with spellcasters).

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.
!