YANI: Thundercloud

YANI: Thundercloud - Inspired by a recent "how to fill pits with water"
thread.

Ever seen those cartoons where unhappy or unlucky characters have their
own personal little thundercloud that hovers above their head and
follows them around?

How to get one:
===============

#dip what?
a - a scroll of stinking cloud.
dip it into what?
Z - an uncursed potion of water
The words on the scroll seem to distort and flow into one another
--more--
Z - a scroll labelled "HXTNA MDUA"
read what?
You read the scroll labelled "HXTNA MDUA" --more--
A dark cloud forms above your head --more--
It begins to rain.

How to get rid of one:
======================

-The scroll identifies as a "scroll of weather". If the player doesn't
already have a cloud, reading the scroll creates a cloud regardless of
the scroll's BUC status. However if the player does already have a
cloud, a blessed scroll of weather will remove it. Confused reading of
the scroll will polymorph the player into a fog cloud.

-The cloud can also be dispersed by prayer.

-If the player's luck is positive, the cloud has a 1 in 2000 chance of
disappearing each turn.

When a player has a cloud:
==========================

-The player's "@" symbol becomes masked by a single "#".

-Each turn, the cloud's rain causes rust/ water damage (same as going
for a swim) to any susceptible items in the players inventory or at the
player's feet.

-The cloud's rain will fill any pits the player may be in in/over.
Although useful in some circumstances, theoretically this could drown
the player if they weren't careful.

-The cloud extinguishes any candles, lamps, torches etc the player
might try to use. It also reduces the success rate of casting fire
spells.

-The cloud's rain will cause a small amount of damage to any adjacent
firey monsters like fire elementals, flaming spheres.

-The cloud extinguishes firetraps before they can do any damage, and
causes a small reduction in the amount of damage taken from other fire
attacks. It also reduces the chances of inventory items suffering fire
damage.

-Every turn, there is a 1 in 100 chance that the cloud "rumbles
ominously", which wakes any sleeping monsters on the level.

-Every turn, there is a 1 in 250 chance that the cloud "crashes with
thunder", which not only wakes monsters, but scares many of them as
well (including pets).

-Every turn, there is a 1 in 500 chance that the cloud "flashes with
lightning". In this case a single bolt of lightning is issued, which
*will* hit either the player or an adjacent monster. The chance-to-hit
is divided evenly between the player and any adjacent monsters/ pets,
so if there are no adjacent monsters, there is a 100% chance that the
player will be zapped. If there is one adjacent monster, the player has
a 50% chance of being the unlucky one- there is an equal chance that
the monster will take the hit. If there are two adjacent monsters, the
player has only a one third chance of being hit, and so on. The
lightning strike does normal damage as per wand of lightning, including
blinding and inventory damage.

There you have it. Like all the best nethack features, it is both a
blessing (create pools, scare/zap monsters, fire protection) and a
curse (zap player, scare/zap pets, damage inventory).

This YANI also begs the addition of another item: The umbrella. I'll
let someone else suggest all the details.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:

> YANI: Thundercloud - Inspired by a recent "how to fill pits with water"
> thread.
>
> When a player has a cloud:
> ==========================

> -Every turn, there is a 1 in 500 chance that the cloud "flashes with
> lightning". In this case a single bolt of lightning is issued, which
> *will* hit either the player or an adjacent monster. The chance-to-hit
> is divided evenly between the player and any adjacent monsters/ pets,
> so if there are no adjacent monsters, there is a 100% chance that the
> player will be zapped. If there is one adjacent monster, the player has
> a 50% chance of being the unlucky one- there is an equal chance that
> the monster will take the hit. If there are two adjacent monsters, the
> player has only a one third chance of being hit, and so on. The
> lightning strike does normal damage as per wand of lightning, including
> blinding and inventory damage.

This has to be modified by the luck of the player. Unlucky having much
more chances to be hit by the lightning than lucky ones.

I would also maybe had a luck effect to the cloud, since in cartoon those
are usually "bad news" (remember that Dilbert's strip wher one of the guy
is followed by such a cloud after being in charge of an already failed
project. Then he try to recrute his team an keep saying things like "I
hope you will ignore the fatal cloud flying over this project" and anyone
coming close to him is zapped ?)

So maybe, a cloud should act as a cursed luckstone (nasty), or an uncursed
if the scroll was blessed when creating it.
(or maybe even as 2 cursed luckstone in order to cancel the effect of the
usual blessed one carried by people and still give them bad luck over
that)
But reading a blessed scroll to disperse the cloud should obviously leaves
a rainbow, at least for a few turns, and that should definitely act as a
blessed luckstone. Getting rid of it by prayer or natural extinction
should not leave a rainbow, of course.

> There you have it. Like all the best nethack features, it is both a
> blessing (create pools, scare/zap monsters, fire protection) and a
> curse (zap player, scare/zap pets, damage inventory).
>
> This YANI also begs the addition of another item: The umbrella. I'll
> let someone else suggest all the details.

In which case we'll definitely need to introduce the "bus stop" dungeon
feature where you can meet a "Totoro" peaceful monster and tame it by
giving it an umbrella while it's raining. And that will obviously call for
a "nekobasu" rideable monster able to controlled levport and portal to any
branch of the dungeon.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Jym wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 dogscoff@eudoramail.com wrote:
>
> > YANI: Thundercloud - Inspired by a recent "how to fill pits with water"
> > thread.

More thinking about that...

Clouds should come in three flavour depending on the BUC status of the
scroll of weather.
_ rainy : just rain, no rumble, thunder or lightning. Not considered as a
trouble by your god, may disappear spontaneously.
_ stormy : act as described by the OT, plus as a cursed luckstone.
Considered minor trouble by the god.
_ fatal : act as 2 cursed luckstones, plus rumble/thunder/lightning more
often and lightning generation is biased toward you/pets/peaceful monsters
(do not shop with a fatal cloud !) and is considered major trouble by your
god. Noises generated by fatal clouds may wake up the Wizard even if
you're outside his tower (when I said fatal, I meant _fatal_).

If already possessing a cloud, reading a blessed scroll of weather will
make it disappear in a rainbow (max luck for the next d50 turns), a
uncursed one will move your cloud one step towards rainy (and make it
disappear without rainbow if already rainy) and a cursed one will move it
on step toward fatal (and create a new fatal cloud over one of your pet, a
peaceful or another monster if already fatal).

Curses thrown at you have chances of creating fatal clouds instead of
cursing inventory.

> > This YANI also begs the addition of another item: The umbrella. I'll
> > let someone else suggest all the details.
>
> In which case we'll definitely need to introduce the "bus stop" dungeon
> feature where you can meet a "Totoro" peaceful monster and tame it by
> giving it an umbrella while it's raining. And that will obviously call for
> a "nekobasu" rideable monster able to controlled levport and portal to any
> branch of the dungeon.

More on Totoro for Myazaki-otakus...
Totoro is initially in a "Totoro lair" level where no monsters are
randomly generated. You can enter the lair by following a small
(randomly generated) Totoro in a hole/trap pit or, if Totoro is tame, 1/50
chance when falling through a trap door/hole.

In the lair, you'll always find 5 lembas wafer, two small Totoros
(peacefull, untamable) and Totoro himself, either sleepy (untame) or awake
(tame). Chatting with a sleepy Totoro will put you to sleep and you'll
wake up d100 turns later at DL1, in the entrance room, completely healed
(HPs, Pow, temporary conditions) and restored (abilities) and without
hunger.

If you're near a bus stop under a rainy cloud, there's a chance that
Totoro will show up. You can then tame him by throwing an umbrella. Once
tame, he'll never get untame but levport back to his lair. You can call
him back with a blessed eucalyptus leaf (for d10 turns) or by going back
to his lair.

Chatting with an awoken Totoro will call in the Nekobasu, which, uppon
chatting, can levport you to any named object or monster (either unique
monster or Called monster or artefact or individually #named item) that
you have previously encountered. Except Rodney who will instead be awoken
and come to you. Obviously, you cannot use the Nekobasu if you're carrying
the Amulet.

Of course, hitting Totoro or the Nekobasu is a very bad idea.

Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.