Adding SSD to ASUS U53JC-C1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutoka

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Hi guys,

I just ordered an ASUS Bamboo U53JC-C1 from Amazon and would like to an SSD for greater speed. I do NO gaming, but I use lots of applications simultaneously and I like to access things fast (on my hard drive and online).

I plan on using mostly Adobe PRO, PhotoShop, Dreamweaver MX, MS Office, Internet, etc. I will also use this notebook to watch the occasional movie, so I need to keep the CD drive.

I don't know much about hardware, so my question is twofold:

1. Can I keep the original HDD and add an SSD on the ASUS U53JC-C1?
2. What SSD do you recommend?

Thank you so much everyone!

spidy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
I don't see any decent pictures of the bottom, but it's highly unlikely there's a spot for a second HDD, so you'll have to replace the original.

You want to make absolutely sure that you either receive or create the restore discs before you do anything, so you can reinstall windows on the new SSD.

I don't have any preferences as far as brand goes, but if you're doing a lot with high-res photos, you'll need a larger size driver, which means a lot more money.

Just a thought, the SSD will probably add even more time to the already incredible 9 hour battery life!

mutoka

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011

How will replacing HDD with SSD affect performance? Should I still do it?

I will try to find a way to do a clean Windows install and get rid of all the bloatware. I'm sure I can manage to do that with some clear instructions.

I mostly play around with personal pictures, so high res is not a major requirement at this point, but I'd like something nice and reasonably priced.

Yeah, I like the long battery life... major selling point on that notebook... no bulky cables to drag around. :D

spidy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2008
SSD's are more reliable, especially for notebooks. no moving parts like HDDs, much smaller chance of failure.

performance would be around 2x faster w/SSD. SSDs claim 6GB/s, whereas HDDs max @ 3GB/s, so double the speed (in those terms at least).

newegg is showing 128GB SSDs for ~$250+. so it would be an expensive upgrade, but things would move quicker. faster boot times, faster application loading.

as for the clean install, you'll probably either get or make discs that have all the bloatware preinstalled, so you might as well wait until you install the SSD to delete the crapware, unless you happen to have a WIN7 disc lying around...

Status
Not open for further replies.