XP levels and the Quest

samu

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2005

I was playing a level 16 Healer with a pet minotaur (173 HP). Just
before attacking the quest nemesis, I annoyingly lost the minotaur to
a disintegration blast. I thought of calling off the battle for the
time being, but eventually made the grand mistake of going at it with
my +6 unicorn horn anyway. The bastard drained three levels with the
Staff of A, and to my surprise, I got the message "Goodbye level 14...
You die..." So, is it that since you have to be at least XP 14 to
enter the Quest, your experience must also not sink below that level?

edwin

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2004

samu@everdying.com wrote:
> The bastard drained three levels with the
> Staff of A, and to my surprise, I got the message "Goodbye level 14...
> You die..." So, is it that since you have to be at least XP 14 to
> enter the Quest, your experience must also not sink below that level?

I'd be more inclined to suspect that you died of hitpoint loss. The
Staff does a lot of damage, and the leveldrain reduces your hitpoints
by 1d8 on top of that, if I remember correctly. Being hit by it three
times could well do you in.

In article <o4oic1hk6tehnv79n2a04o04s73dfjog60@4ax.com>,
samu@everdying.com wrote:

> I was playing a level 16 Healer with a pet minotaur (173 HP). Just
> before attacking the quest nemesis, I annoyingly lost the minotaur to
> a disintegration blast. I thought of calling off the battle for the
> time being, but eventually made the grand mistake of going at it with
> my +6 unicorn horn anyway. The bastard drained three levels with the
> Staff of A, and to my surprise, I got the message "Goodbye level 14...
> You die..." So, is it that since you have to be at least XP 14 to
> enter the Quest, your experience must also not sink below that level?

Just two days ago I ascended my first healer (yay, 9/13 roles finished
:). On the Quest I tried using the !oParal + =FA trick, but Cyclops
didn't freeze. I was drained from lvl 16 to lvl 13 in no time and I fled
upstairs to heal. I had /oDeath but I thought he were magic resistant. On
the next try I /Deathed him after another 2 levels were lost.

So obviously the xlvl 14 limit is only for admitting the character to the
Quest, after that it doesn't matter.

--
Panu
"You haven't really been anywhere until you've got back home",

samu

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2005

On 4 Jul 2005 10:20:15 -0700, "Edwin" <khoth0@gmail.com> wrote:

>samu@everdying.com wrote:
>> The bastard drained three levels with the
>> Staff of A, and to my surprise, I got the message "Goodbye level 14...
>> You die..." So, is it that since you have to be at least XP 14 to
>> enter the Quest, your experience must also not sink below that level?
>
>I'd be more inclined to suspect that you died of hitpoint loss.

I checked the score list, and noticed I actually did. Oops.