New computer--help!!

XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
I posted earlier about buying a new computer (from Dell)... It has been about a month since, and i was wondering about acutally getting the Dell or getting a custom built one (from this place called "Intellect Computers in Arlington, VA--anyone know about it?). One of my friends says getting a Dell would be the best choice because they "have great customer support" and "everything is really stable." That was probably why I was planning on going with Dell, but now i am having second thoughts. My other friend tells me that Dell has their own screws so that it is really hard to upgrade them. He also says their customer support was not as good as some may say... In addition, when I was looking on the site to make a custom computer, you have to get some kind of DVD-ROM drive built especially for the GeForce2MX or GeForce3 (whats the deal with this--can anyone tell me whats up with that?) And instead of the card Dell is probably offering as the GeForce3, i want one that has video in or video out. The first guy said getting a custom built computer would be a lot more expensive, but the second guy said it would be cheaper...

Does anyone know what I should do? It looks like either guy is saying their opinion is better.... So what is everyone else's opinion on the matter? Any help is appreciated.

Oh yeah... i was looking into the Dazzle USB Analog to MPEG converter--does anyone have experience with it?

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Addressing the screws bit...I've come across a lot of Dell systems with "tamper resistant Torx" screws. They have a recessed area in the head for a Torx (six-pointed star shape) bit to fit in, with a pin sticking up in the middle of that recession. That pin keeps an ordinary Torx bit from being able to fit the screw.

Of course, the best tool for such a screw is a Torx bit with a hole drilled in the center of the tip (for the pin to fit in). Such bits are hard to find, but I have managed to get some from Snap-On. I'd say discard any hopes of getting them locally.

One thing I've learned from experience is to get a system that's as "cloney" as possible. Your best bet is to get a system from some company that just puts together stock parts without manufacturing any bits and pieces themselves. The "customized" bits and pieces rarely ever add any real value and generally end up screwing you in the long run.

That kind of rules out a lot of vendors (especially Dell, Gateway, and Compaq).

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
with a dell you can't even upgrade the os becuase you might not be able to find driver for all the stuff

i would say take your friend with you to the store if possible and atart talking in commputer jargon and if the guy knows what you mean then you are pretty well set

i went to one place and the guy didn't even know about the new chip form intel comming out so that took them right of my list

another good question for them is to ask what kind of ram becuase if they are using good ram then are pretty asured they are going to use good part becuase the ram is the easiest place to skimp

you might be surprised by what kind of service these place offer
one i went to had a one site service within thrity miles for one year and the second year you had to just take it to ther shop and they would fix it

you miaght want to check if you can get win 98 se becuase one of the places i went actualy recomended it and i like that

this place was going to run two todays straight of stress test on it to burnin it and if any thing happen durring this the would replace the part and start all over again

Frocer

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
Well, personally I would suggest you to build it yourself, it's really not that hard. And you can find the best price for the best parts on pricewatch.com, a purchased computer can never beat a home-built (well, exception for may be voodoo and Falcon Northwest). You can always get the best support on this forum, many people here knows a whole lot more than customer support from Dell as well as those private computer shops.

However though, if you really don't want to go through the "trouble" of building a system, I highly suggest you go with Dell. Many of my friends purchased a dell for college, and yes they have outstanding tech support, 24/7, just call them anytime you have a problem, a tech would pick it up within 5 minutes. And no I don't know where they get the idea you can't upgrade your O/S, Dell gives you a CD with every single driver on it, for every operation system that device supports, and if new drivers come out, they will be on Dell's website. Dell builds great, stable computers, however, if you are a performance freak, you are better off building your own or buy one from Voodoo, Falcon Northwest, or Alienware (they are expensive tho)

Good luck

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
the driver don't always work in a diffrent os is why i said

there was a guy around her no to long complaining becuase he went fomr win 98 to win 2000 pro and he could not get drivers becuase the board was spcifically manufactured for one of the makor compaions. i actual think it was dell
it the regualr drivers would not work and they had no new drivers for winn 200 pro

wapaaga

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2001
i did some sreaching and here is the post i was talik about
<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1</A>