Is windows 7 worth it?

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I Was just wondering because it seems like the only feature they "added" was the Amazing Ability to work on two programs AT THE SAME TIME!!!! Also I would like to know the faults and other additions to see if they just wanted more money.

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Okay so all that won't work in 64 bit is frame work 1.1 but the OS disk would update that right?

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Don't forget to figure the value of the time you will spend in the change over. Also the cost to replace any software and hardware that will not migrate to the new O.S. The compatibility adviser is the starting point. Check every manufacturer and publisher to make sure the updates you need are available.

Final_act

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010

Yeah I guess its gonna take 200 plus shipping, at least.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Uhm, actually from what I've read, if you've got Vista then dropping 100+ may not be worth it. Pretty much the same OS under the hood, just tweaked and a new interface. If you've already got Vista, check around online, you may find you can tweak some more performance out of it. If you've got xp, time to move on, but do check program compatibility.

I'm in the fortunate position of going directly from XP to 7, which is a huge change and more than worth the effort. Vista to 7 may not be as obvious of an improvement, but I've spent some time working with Vista and it's a massive headache compared to 7.

Collie147

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
I've had xp 64, Vista 64 and Win 7 64 on the same PC and there is a notable difference in performance. There was a few small bugs at the start, all of which have been fixed by now (mostly to do with my x-fi fatal1ty drivers). It seems that it's quicker on almost all apps (games included). If you plan on getting a new GPU also I'd recommend it as vista can only handle DirectX10 (xp Direct x 9.0c) while 7 is Directx 11. It's also able to make use of 4+ cores/threads. XP doesnt do 2 cores that well and Vista, from what I can tell can only really handle up to 4. The only prob I have is with the new WMP, it takes a while to get used to, but there are tons of other functions that make up for this. The Library function eliminates the need to mess around with the My Documents/My Pictures etc. if you keep them in an alternate location. Id have to say that it's €100-€150 well spent if you're going from XP, Vista however... I'd still say get a trial if you can and see if you notice a big diff.

sailer

Splendid
I have three computers running Vista64, two computers running Win7, and one with XP which I kept around for the few programs I had that didn't work with Vista. In my opinion that while Win7 is nice, it isn't worthwhile to upgrade to it from Vista. If upgrading from XP, then yes, it is a worthwhile upgrade. Of course, if you want to run DX11 games, then Win7 is required. At the same time, if you want to run the latest games, I think its well past time to make the jump from a 32 bit OS to a 64 bit OS. If that requires building/buying a new computer, then just think of it as the price of progress. As attached as some people are to the old 32 bit OS, time and progress wait for no person.

ram1009

Distinguished

I used it briefly on a laptop and concluded that for the most part the features are a re-shuffle of XP. Most changes are cosmetic and the actual changes (like the e-mail program) I didn't like at all. I don't know why anybody would buy it until they had to.

Well, any modern OS that is as easy to use as XP is a big win in my opinion. XP is 8 years old now and really starting to show its age. Windows 7 has MUCH better hardware support, security, built-in troubleshooting, and stability. I use both XP and Windows 7 on a daily basis, and the more I use 7, the less I feel like using XP.

Oh and by the way, what changes to the email program? Win 7 doesn't HAVE an email program...

Kewlx25

Distinguished
WinXP is losing MS support in just a few months here, June-ish me thinks. Win7 is much better when you start talking about scaling to 4+ cpus. I also find that Win7 has fewer "pauses" than XP. I use XP at work and a single program can cause my entire system to wait, in Win7, that doesn't happen.

huntsman

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
alright well im here with xp and thinking bout moving on the windows 7 but i have 3 computers and was wondering can i buy 1 windows 7 and install it on all 3 computers but only one of them would be the one that can update while the others the updates would be disabled and then it should work right? cuz i dont really want to shed out 600 dollars for 3 windows 7s. And when you buy it do u pick 32 or 64 bit or does it come with both and when u install it u choose which one you would like?

thanks

It might be more cost effective for you to buy a TechNet subscription huntsman. I did that because of the 3 computers (2 desktops, and a laptop) I have that I wanted to put Windows 7 on. Turns out I spent less on the Technet subscription than I would have on 3 copies of Windows 7. The link below will take you to the page where you can buy a subscription:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/buy.aspx

... And before you ask, if you do let your subscription lapse past the 1 year mark, your serial will not become invalid, nor will you have to reactivate any copies of the software you obtained media and keys for through TechNet. The only thing that happens if you don't renew is you lose access to view those serials (as in you can't log into the TechNet website and view existing serials, or request any new keys for other products offered as part of the subscription benefits).

Go for the TechNet Plus Direct option, unless you actually know you are going to need the DVD shipments.

Yes, but I wouldn't. 7, like vista uses more system resources. A 32 bit cpu is likely at least 6 years old. Odds are if you have a 32 bit CPU, you would be better off with XP.

I have as well. XP is faster, followed by 7, then Vista.

If you plan on getting a new GPU also I'd recommend it as vista can only handle DirectX10 (xp Direct x 9.0c) while 7 is Directx 11.

This is wrong. Vista also supports DirectX 11.

It's also able to make use of 4+ cores/threads. XP doesnt do 2 cores that well and Vista, from what I can tell can only really handle up to 4.

This is totally wrong. Don't know where this came from.

No its not. VISTA SUPPORTS DIRECTX 11.

As attached as some people are to the old 32 bit OS, time and progress wait for no person.

I still use XP. My copy of 7 just sits on the shelf. Unless your all exited about the new interface, 7 brings little of consequence to the table. Certainly not worth $100 to $300 depending upon edition.

Windows 7 hardware support is not much better than XP. Microsoft just throws a bunch of drivers on the install disk. That is just more easily accessible drivers.

Windows 7 security is only better than XP in stock form. XP provides more aftermarket flexibility for those of use who prefer our own security setup.

Windows 7 is not more stable than XP.

All windows onboard troubleshooting sucks, 7 included.

You remember correctly. Vista supports DX 11

XP is not losing support. XP service pack 2 is losing support. Service Pack 3, home and pro, will continue until mid 2014. 2 years longer than most editions of Vista.

Comparing your "system at work" to your home system is a worthless exercise. They are different systems with different configurations. And the work system has likely been in use for years now. MS OS's slow down and destabilize over time. So your taking a newer, faster, cleaner system/install vs a older, slower, worn down install. Reverse the situation and you will get a dragging 7 vs a peppy XP.

I have done apples to apples comparisons on the same system between XP, vista, and 7. Setup a dual boot and compare almost side by side. XP is still faster. It doesn't scale quite as well as 7 with multicore, but you need a benchmark to tell.