Sign in with
Your question

Help on System building!

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2001 4:09:08 PM

With all the war between Intel and AMD, specs are getting confusing but I still went for AMD.

Anyways, I noticed there was the AMD Tbird DDR and normal.

Ram comes in 133mhz or DDR too.

Now, im not sure what its for, but as for gaming is the DDR worth the performance/price? and what Mobo would support the DDR ram? I wanted a Abit KT7 A, but seems it doesnt support DDR ram, so I would need the name of a good mobo supporting DDR ram and very good overclockability options like the Abits.

Here are the specs I was thinking of getting

AMD-Tbird 266-1333 DDR
Abit KT7-E
256MB DRR PC2100 No-ECC
20.4G 7200rpm Maxtor
Asus V8200 GeForce3 64M pure

Any comments?

Oh, system made for high-end gaming. EX: I want to run Tribes2 with max details in all and max resolution

http://www.microbytes.com/annon-e.htm
this is the shop where Ill buy my stuff, check the options if you want, price is CANADIAN, so dont go and think its way over priced =)

More about : system building

June 21, 2001 4:49:28 PM

First off, there are two types of T-Birds at each clock speed. B and C, or 200(100)FSB and 266(133)FSB. There is no such thing as a DDR or normal T-bird. Or of any processor, for that matter. DDR support is based solely on the motherboard. But it does say that on the web page. This might be confusing, but stay with me. What they're referring to is the fact that a T-bird's FSB (front side bus) is ACTUALLY 100 or 133, but it executes an instruction twice every clock cycle. It's like playing a song in double time, if that helps any. The song is still the same tempo, but the beat is twice as fast. Similarly, the P4 is a 100 front side bus, but it executes commands FOUR times every clock cycle. DDR means Double Data Rate, and doesn't just talk about RAM, although that's the most common term usage right now. This is the first time I've seen a DDR processor advertised, since it's taken for granted with the name Thunderbird.

That said, let's talk about DDR. Right now, DDR offers around a 10% increase in overall performance (or maybe more, if you have the AMD 761 chipset). In the future, software and motherboards will take advantage of that to a larger extent. The difference in both DDR motherboards and DDR itself (as opposed to SDRAM motherboards and sticks), is negligible. As for a good motherboard, I'd say get the Asus A7M266, although I like the Abit board as well. I bought the Abit KT7a-RAID a while back. Get Crucial/Mushkin/whatever DDR, and you should be set.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
June 21, 2001 5:32:32 PM

for the mobo you can go to amd's website and use the mobo selector based on chipset. unless you are planning to wait for either the sis 735, nforce, or 760mp chipset, you'd want to stick with the 761 chipset. the asus a7m266 is an excellent board as well as Biostar M7MIA , and the giga-byte ga-7dxr. i have the dxr w/512 mgs of ddr ram and the system is very quick and reliable. as for your hard drives i would think about the ibm deskstars. also with 7dxr comes with onboard raid thus increasing your stability and performance. also comes with on board audio (ct5880). a few other goodies, directx8, norton antivirus and firewall protection. plus for oc, there is an onboard function called easy tune iii which allows you to overclock with out having to manually adjust your board.

theyre accusing,lk alwyz wo knwng wht s jst fctn& wht s the truth.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2001 6:50:28 PM

Quote:
...is the DDR worth the performance/price

Nowadays, DDR cost the same as SDRAM and the performance is <i>suppose</i> to be better.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>
June 21, 2001 8:02:28 PM

Maybe since RAM is cheap right now, I suggest that you buy 512. You never know...

I also second that suggestion for an IBM Deskstar. I have a 75GXP, and it's performance and stability is awesome. I've only had it for 2 months, but still. When I think in terms of comparing it to my old Fujitsu HD, there's no comparison. I know there are more pros for it, like sound. I can't tell, cuz I have a couple of noisy case fans and my heatsink fan going.

There's another thing: heatsink. What were you going to buy? I would suggest the Swiftech MC370-0A, for ease of installation and performance. It is kinda hot here in Southern California, maybe 78°F in my apartment. So, my CPU is running at 42°C, with my vCore at 1.75v and my 850@900. I bought mine at CrazyPC.com. It's currently $46.99US. I don't see it on that site you mentioned, though. All I saw was the Orbs...which I don't think you should get. After reading all the comments about them, I think it's safe to tell you not to get an Orb.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2001 8:56:01 PM

I suggest adding more GB to the hard drive on such an performant system. 40 GB should be enough.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 21, 2001 10:24:30 PM

Yes IBMs are very good.
The Seagate Barracuda ATA III ST340824A are also very good.

<font color=blue>Your Mouse moved. WINDOWS NT must restart for changes to take effect. Restart Now? [OK]</font color=blue>
June 22, 2001 1:06:15 AM

1 dont not buy at microbytes.There price are not as low that in past year.Infotech rue Chambly.

Personnaly nvisia suck.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2001 1:35:21 AM

And what would be their website?
June 22, 2001 3:58:43 PM

Quote:
also with 7dxr comes with onboard raid thus increasing your stability and performance.

I should explain this a bit better. With two harddrives, you can double (or close to) either your performance OR stability. With 4, you can do both.
I have to Maxtor DiamondMAX Plus 60s (30gig each) on a RAID 0, which theoretically doubles their speed. I haven't benched them yet, so I don't know how close to double they are, but I know they're faster than just one of them :) 
I also have a 10gig WD as backup, since I don't want to lose all my data.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?
!