To Wiz or Not to Wiz?

Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?

I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
once without having used Wizmode?

Cheers

Davémon
------------------
The Davémon bites!
The Davémon bites!

Davemon wrote:

> Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?

Yes, sort of.

> I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
> once without having used Wizmode?

Wizmode is for debugging/testing. There's no point in playing a full game
in wizmode. A "wizmode ascension" is not a real ascension (and won't be
added to the score file).

Playing in wizmode won't make real games any easier; in fact, the opposite
is probably true, since you're less likely to learn from mistakes.

There is also an "explore" mode which would be better to use than wizmode
if you just want to look around the dungeon without dying.

--
Benjamin Lewis

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips
over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."
--Matt Groening

Davemon babbled on for HOURS on 05 Jul 2005:

> Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?
>
> I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
> once without having used Wizmode?

I think you mean using Wiz-mode to figure out the answer to some conundrum
you are currently facing...like it is safe to eat this asphynx corpse
before me because I am foodless and weak and my prayer timeout has not
expired? Save current gave...start Wiz-Mode...wish for said corpse...eat
and observe results...(Q)uit (if needed)...restart saved game and act in
accordance to the newly gained Wiz-Mode knowledge.

These actions IMO would be the same as reading spoilers, source diving or
posting a direct question on the topic here. So AFAIK, it is subject to
the opinion of the player. I think that if we were to only post non-
spoiled in any way whatsoever ascensions (if that were even possible),
there would be far fewer posts than we currently have.

Still and all, I would use it sparingly. Going to the ghods for the answer
to every single choice not only becomes tedious, but the fun (and ultimate
goal) of gaining the game experience is quickly lost.

> Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?
>
> I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
> once without having used Wizmode?

Well, considering how you can have all the gear you want, all the lives you need
and NOT get on the highscore list at all... I call yes on all these questions.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
Registered Linux User #289529: http://counter.li.org

> Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder

Ahhhh, so you're the blindcoder I've been talking to on #nethack. If you
had just identified yourself by name in there, I would be able to associate
the name Ben Schieder (something vaguely familiar to me from hanging out in
rgrn all the time) with the pseudonym blindcoder.

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Benjamin Lewis wrote:
> Davemon wrote:
>
>>I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
>>once without having used Wizmode?

There's no problem at all using wizmode if you don't mind getting heavily
spoiled about the game that way. (It's more interesting - and fun, IMO -
to not get too much spoiled.)

A usual game is in non-wizmode/non-explore mode. You should regularily
play in normal mode (at least if you want to tell us about your games in
this newsgroup).

> Wizmode is for debugging/testing. There's no point in playing a full game
> in wizmode. A "wizmode ascension" is not a real ascension (and won't be
> added to the score file).
>
> There is also an "explore" mode which would be better to use than wizmode
> if you just want to look around the dungeon without dying.

Let me add that finishing a game in explore mode is no ascension either.

I want to point you to the command 'X' that let you switch to explore mode
(no highscore, then) during the game in a hopeless situation; it might (who
knows) satisfy some needs of you.

Janis

In news:<117b6$42cae4a9$504427df$13024@datanet.co.uk>, Davemon
<nospam@nowhere.no> says...
> Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?
> I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at least
> once without having used Wizmode?

Hmm. That seems like a real interesting way to play Nethack. Let me try
it...

=== [C:\nethack\>nethack -uwizard -D]
[5 seconds later]
You offer the Amulet of Yendor to Mars...
An invisible choir sings, and you are bathed in radiance...
The voice of Mars booms out: "Congratulations, mortal!"
"In return for thy service, I grant thee the gift of Immortality!"
You ascend to the status of Demigod...
Goodbye wizard the Demigod...
You went to your reward with 0 points,
and 0 pieces of gold, after 2 moves.
You were level 1 with a maximum of 14 hit points when you ascended.
Since you were in wizard mode, the score list will not be checked.
=== [C:\nethack\>]

No, it wasn't very interesting. I think I'll try to do it without
wizmode, just like everyone else.

/Kristoffer

--
This cookie has a scrap of paper inside. It reads:
Yrg lbhe svatref qb gur jnyxvat ba gur lhyxwuao xrlf.

Davemon <nospam@nowhere.no> writes:

> Is using wiz-mode like using god-mode in Quake?

No. Wizmode is primarly meant for Finding Things Out and
Trying Some Ideas. Since you can wish for the amulet,
you can ascend in a one-digit number of steps, I assume.

> I mean, is it actually 'cheating', and should you try to ascend at
> least once without having used Wizmode?

*shrug* No-one has to tell you what you should do for your fun.
If you have fun being invincible, play that way. If you have
fun by using backups, you can save-scum. And so on.

Of course, such games would not be considered as skillful or even
as getting some hard-earned luck for once.

Best,
Jakob

On 7/6/05 5:32 AM, Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> Davemon <nospam@nowhere.no> writes:
>
> Wizmode is primarly meant for Finding Things Out and
> Trying Some Ideas.

Wizmode is actually intended for Debugging the Program.

--
Kevin Wayne

"Art is a tremendous means by which painfully guarded individuals bare
their souls." --Steve Hindalong

>>Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
>
> Ahhhh, so you're the blindcoder I've been talking to on #nethack. If you
> had just identified yourself by name in there, I would be able to associate
> the name Ben Schieder (something vaguely familiar to me from hanging out in
> rgrn all the time) with the pseudonym blindcoder.

Well, ever heard of /whois in IRC? :)

Greetings,
Benjamin

--