am i missing something here for networking my computers

I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
wireless router.

The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..

I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used the xp
pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old computer. ....
I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still can't see/access files
from the opposite computer from what I am on.

I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no luck...My goal
is obviously to link the two together because I wish to share files between
the computers.

The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older one is
choppy an a bit inconsistent....

Any ideas? Thanks for your help inadvance.
9 answers Last reply
More about missing networking computers

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 20:33:15 -0700, CaptainKrunch wrote:

    > I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
    > wireless router.
    >
    > The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..
    >
    > I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used the xp
    > pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old computer. ....
    > I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still can't see/access files
    > from the opposite computer from what I am on.
    >
    > I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no luck...My goal
    > is obviously to link the two together because I wish to share files between
    > the computers.
    >
    > The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older one is
    > choppy an a bit inconsistent....
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks for your help inadvance.

    Make sure they are on the same domain/workgroup. I've had the same problem
    as you in the past with a Belkin router. It took numerous reboots before
    they finally saw each other and were able to share files back and forth.

    Also, I found it best to place a folder on my desktop and shared that.
    Then, any files I wanted to share I just dragged into the folder.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email.

    <nobody@nothing.com> wrote:

    >I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
    >wireless router.
    >
    >The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..
    >
    >I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used the xp
    >pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old computer. ....
    >I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still can't see/access files
    >from the opposite computer from what I am on.
    >
    >I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no luck...My goal
    >is obviously to link the two together because I wish to share files between
    >the computers.
    >
    >The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older one is
    >choppy an a bit inconsistent....
    >
    >Any ideas? Thanks for your help inadvance.

    For the file and printer sharing.....do you remember to turn off XP's
    firewall? With SP2, it does a much better job of recognizing a
    wireless network and allowing sharing.

    For tweaking the wireless connection, check out the DLink forum at
    www.broadbandreports.com. Lots of helpful folks there, and sometimes
    even DLink Support posts.

    Dave

    you have to installing networking on the 98 machine from you windows xp
    disk.
    I have not done it for a long time but I seem to remember you can put the
    files you need on a floppy or something like that. Like I said been a long
    time since I did that.
    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
    > wireless router.
    >
    > The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..
    >
    > I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used the xp
    > pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old computer.
    > I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still can't see/access
    > files
    > from the opposite computer from what I am on.
    >
    > I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no luck...My
    > goal
    > is obviously to link the two together because I wish to share files
    > between
    > the computers.
    >
    > The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older one is
    > choppy an a bit inconsistent....
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks for your help inadvance.

    you need to run the network wizard from your original xp disk on both
    machines.
    check the google groups for more info.
    "CaptainKrunch" <nobody@nothing.com> wrote in message
    >I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
    > wireless router.
    >
    > The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..
    >
    > I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used the xp
    > pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old computer.
    > I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still can't see/access
    > files
    > from the opposite computer from what I am on.
    >
    > I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no luck...My
    > goal
    > is obviously to link the two together because I wish to share files
    > between
    > the computers.
    >
    > The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older one is
    > choppy an a bit inconsistent....
    >
    > Any ideas? Thanks for your help inadvance.

    A number of good things have been mentioned, but I'll summarize and add a
    few:

    1) XP firewall must be off
    2) Both machines must be in the same workgroup
    3) The 98 machine MUST have a userid AND password that matches a
    userid/password on the XP box
    4) File sharing must be active on the 98 box
    5) Drives or folders must be shared with the proper security
    6) TCP/IP addresses must be in the same range (if the router assigns, you're
    OK)
    7) 98 liked to network over NETBIOS better than TCP, but TCP works. Most of
    the time

    Just a start.

    Tom

    CaptainKrunch wrote:
    > I have a new 2400 with xp pro..and it is cat 5'd to the new DLink 624
    > wireless router.
    >
    > The other computer is on 98SE with a DLink wireless PCI adapter..
    >
    > I have ran setup wizard as instructed on the new computer and used
    > the xp pro disc as directed to run the networking wizard on the old
    > computer. .... I have enabled sharing on both computers and I still
    > can't see/access files from the opposite computer from what I am on.
    >
    > I have ran the wizard several times on both computers with no
    > luck...My goal is obviously to link the two together because I wish
    > to share files between the computers.
    >
    > The internet on the new one works great. The internet on the older
    > one is choppy an a bit inconsistent....

    May be more than one problem. For instance, internet on the 98SE is
    "choppy" -- you should work on that first. Did this work with a NIC before
    you installed the PCI wireless? Is the router set up properly? Could there
    be interference?

    File sharing between XP and 98SE does not require the setup wizard. Whatever
    the wizard does, you can do. The 98SE should login with an account that
    exists on the XP machine. If it is default user or whatever, assign a
    password. On both machines, set the workgroup to same name, and share a
    folder.

    Look at all the network-related settings and understand them.

    What you may find is that after several reboots things will change, and
    you'll see the shares.

    Ed

    > 3) The 98 machine MUST have a userid AND password that matches a
    > userid/password on the XP box

    I recently bought a 2400 and set it up on a network, but didn`t need to
    set up a userid/password to allow read-only access to the new machine.
    The other machines are 98SE and have no login/password.

    > 7) 98 liked to network over NETBIOS better than TCP, but TCP works. Most of
    > the time

    Windows will sometimes fail to "see" the rest of the network for up to
    half an hour following a reboot. YMMV but if everything else is set up
    correctly (workgroup/sharing) this might be the problem. I`m not sure if
    XP is any better in this respect than previous versions of Windows.

    XP Home? You're right, Simple networking on XP Home and XP Pro don't
    require that. XP Pro with folder or drive level security does.

    I don't know why you're having a 1/2 hour problem, but that should never
    happen.

    Tom
    "Colin Wilson" <void@btinternet.com> wrote in message
    >> 3) The 98 machine MUST have a userid AND password that matches a
    >> userid/password on the XP box
    >
    > I recently bought a 2400 and set it up on a network, but didn`t need to
    > set up a userid/password to allow read-only access to the new machine.
    > The other machines are 98SE and have no login/password.
    >
    >> 7) 98 liked to network over NETBIOS better than TCP, but TCP works. Most
    >> of
    >> the time
    >
    > Windows will sometimes fail to "see" the rest of the network for up to
    > half an hour following a reboot. YMMV but if everything else is set up
    > correctly (workgroup/sharing) this might be the problem. I`m not sure if
    > XP is any better in this respect than previous versions of Windows.
    >
    > --
    > Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies via email
    > --- My new email address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ;-) ---

    > I don't know why you're having a 1/2 hour problem, but that should never
    > happen.

    I haven`t recently (although it has taken a few minutes on occasions) but
    its one i`ve come across before and tends to throw people who think
    everything else is right - it might be !

Dell Computers Networking Computer