NetHack Helper- an ID/Notebook/Map program

Smitty

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

hi all,

i have made a small, free "helper" program for nethack, since there are
so many things to remember during a game. it seemed that there had to
be a better way than a text editor, or back of an envelope! it is a
filemaker runtime app for mac osx or windows. it relies heavily on
spoiler info. this is great when you come back to a game after a few
days and cant remember anything!

you can download it at <http://homepage.mac.com/tomsmith/nethack/>

there is limited help within the program, but the basics are:

1. choose your role. it will fill out your starting inventory. use \
to fill this info in. set charisma.
2. add any more inventory items that arent listed in discoveries (\)
yet. the blue "]?+=/ mean create a new object, and the black "]?+=/
find only those items.
3. in a shop, click 'base cost', this will show you all the stuff you
dont know the price of. drop it and set the price in the helper (make
sure charisma is set to "sell"!)
4. #chat all the unkowns in the shop, set your charisma back to normal
& narrow down your choices.
5. fill out the dungeon map as you find stuff, click the # to re-sort the tree
6. fill out other info on the notes page.

comments welcome! also the moral aspects, is this cheating? also, i
can incorporate suggestions from the more experienced players.

myself, i have yet to ascend. my best monk died in moloch's sanctum.
~1,800,000 pts

enjoy!

-smitty

smitty wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have made a small, free "helper" program for nethack, since there are
> so many things to remember during a game. it seemed that there had to
> be a better way than a text editor, or back of an envelope! it is a
> filemaker runtime app for mac osx or windows. it relies heavily on
> spoiler info. this is great when you come back to a game after a few
> days and cant remember anything!

This sounds like a nice idea to me. Personnally I won't use it
because I use only X11 application, but here are some thoughts:
First, there seems to be a problem with the permissions. I use
mac os 10.3 and when I launched the application it said it would
open files on read-only mode, and it kept giving me messages
saying 'this field is not editable' or something like that
whenever I tried to do anything. I suppose I could solve the
problem easily myself, but if you want people to use it you might
want to solve this.

Personally I am trying to construct myself a list of the prices of
items, by noting down in each game the prices of the items I
identified, so I wouldn't use the price-identification part.
One small modification to that: I would use a price-identification
part that would not rely on spoilers but would instead let me
add the prices of items as I discover them (but I still would
only use it regularly if it was a X11 app...)
I like the idea of keeping the map of the dungeons, as well as
the location of altars and shop, in an ordered way. I like
also the intrinsics list, I always have trouble to rembember
if I have telepathy or not.

Is there a place you can write when you prayed, and how your
god felt about you?
And, last idea, can you store facts about multiple games at
the same time (for when you play on different computers for
instance)?

Clemence

On 2005-07-06 04:11:12 -0400, "Clemence Magnien"
<clemence.magnien@shs.polytechnique.fr> said:
> This sounds like a nice idea to me. Personnally I won't use it
> because I use only X11 application, but here are some thoughts:

x11 is out, unless filemaker makes a x11 version of their developer app

> First, there seems to be a problem with the permissions. I use
> mac os 10.3 and when I launched the application it said it would
> open files on read-only mode, and it kept giving me messages
> saying 'this field is not editable' or something like that
> whenever I tried to do anything.

yes, you have to copy the folder to your hard drive. it doesnt like
being run from the read-only image.

> Personally I am trying to construct myself a list of the prices of
> items, by noting down in each game the prices of the items I
> identified, so I wouldn't use the price-identification part.
> One small modification to that: I would use a price-identification
> part that would not rely on spoilers but would instead let me
> add the prices of items as I discover them (but I still would
> only use it regularly if it was a X11 app...)

hmm, i would have to include a different data file that did not have
the shopkeeper's modified prices..
it might be easier to make a spoiler-version & a non-spoiler version.
let me look into it

> Is there a place you can write when you prayed, and how your
> god felt about you?
> And, last idea, can you store facts about multiple games at
> the same time (for when you play on different computers for
> instance)?
>
> Clemence

the notes page has a box on hte right where you enter a T:time and
event. use it however you like!

you can save game files, but its probably easier to copy the app to
every computer you play on.
if you play n.a.org from multiple computers, you can use the save
file/load file or just put the folder on a usb stick drive & take it
with you. btw, there is no save command, it saves when necessary.

-smitty

Alexis

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2001

smitty <smitty97 at ptd dot net> wrote:
> i have made a small, free "helper" program for nethack, since there are
> so many things to remember during a game. it seemed that there had to
> be a better way than a text editor, or back of an envelope! it is a
> filemaker runtime app for mac osx or windows. it relies heavily on
> spoiler info. this is great when you come back to a game after a few
> days and cant remember anything!
>
> you can download it at <http://homepage.mac.com/tomsmith/nethack/>

I've just started playing with it - looks very handy, although I'm
finding the interface a leetle bit fiddly.

A few questions - I'm using the PC version if that makes any difference:

What does the "Vague" do?

If I hit the Base Cost button, I can't seem to set the price of any item
- I get "This field is not modifiable"

Also, are the CHA calcs working right? It gives no difference in item
price if CHA is set to 5 or 18 on the Objects page, or if I hit the
Buy/Sell button.

-- A.

--
My email address is hearse[AT]hotpop[DOT]com

Hearse Windows/Unix client: http://hearse.krollmark.com

On 2005-07-06 04:31:02 -0400, Alexis <me@privacy.net> said:

>> you can download it at <http://homepage.mac.com/tomsmith/nethack/>
>
> I've just started playing with it - looks very handy, although I'm
> finding the interface a leetle bit fiddly.
>
> A few questions - I'm using the PC version if that makes any difference:
>
> What does the "Vague" do?

the vague column isnt modifiable, it just shows when the shopkeeper has
given you a vague price on something. i.e, 106 for a scroll could mean
60 or 80. you can click on the word 'vague' to show only those items
so you can #chat again.

> If I hit the Base Cost button, I can't seem to set the price of any
> item - I get "This field is not modifiable"

due to the way filemaker works, i cant have this column modifiable.
you have to set it using the 'shop' column. once there are items
stored, you can hold the mouse down on base cost to see how many of
each price group have been found. click on the word 'base cost' to
show un-priced items.

> Also, are the CHA calcs working right? It gives no difference in item
> price if CHA is set to 5 or 18 on the Objects page, or if I hit the
> Buy/Sell button.
>
> -- A.

try clicking on an empty area, or on another item. fm is a little
weird sometimes. also, i gave up long ago on calculations for this, a
lookup table was much easier, and correctly shows the integer math
nethack prices. (let me know of any errors here, i usually play a
monk, and their charismas are ususally around 10 or so.)

smitty wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i have made a small, free "helper" program for nethack, since there are
> so many things to remember during a game. it seemed that there had to
> be a better way than a text editor, or back of an envelope! it is a
> filemaker runtime app for mac osx or windows. it relies heavily on
> spoiler info. this is great when you come back to a game after a few
> days and cant remember anything!

Ive downloaded this and ran it, on one of my saved games, but got a
heap of garbled characters in my objects list... are you supposed to be
able to load saved games, or just start it from scratch?

Smitty

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

On 2005-07-06 22:13:41 -0400, "Marky Mark" <mdmota@yahoo.com.au> said:

> Ive downloaded this and ran it, on one of my saved games, but got a
> heap of garbled characters in my objects list... are you supposed to be
> able to load saved games, or just start it from scratch?

oh! sorry for the confusion.. "load game" is not for nethack
savegames, it is for previously saved lists from this program only. it
looks for a .tab (ascii tab delimited) file, basically fields in this
order:
type, appearance, name, shopcost

bw, saving the list won't save the dungeon map.. the dungeon was added
after i made the save part and i never really use load/save anyway.

try it from scratch, i usually fill it out once i find a store

replying to a previous question, i found it is real easy to have a
"Spoilers" checkbox.. so those of you who go un-spoiled can continue
to do so.. ill probably post v1.8 tomorrow.

-smitty