[YANI] Chess patch

I wonder if something like this has been proposed before ... in
hindsight, it's kind of obvious.

Basically the chess board would be a new kind of special room (like
anthives or beehives) that can only be generated in 8x8 rooms. You can
probably guess the layout, but I'll explain it anyway: 8 white pawns, 8
black pawns, 2 white knights, 2 black knights, etc., all arranged
exactly in the way you would expect from a typical real life chess board
layout. If black vs. white doesn't appeal to you (all would be humans),
then consider something like human pawn, human knight, etc., vs. elf
pawn, elf knight, etc.

That's the basic design, and I think would be fairly simple to
implement. However, it gets a bit more complicated ...

Add in some mechanism such that the chess pieces don't move until you
either step onto the chess board or attack them from range. This way,
if you're generated on the opposite side of the level from the
chessboard, it won't be all scattered up by the time you arrive there.

Give the pieces the same movement patterns they have in real chess.
Bishops can teleport to anywhere along a diagonal from their position in
one move; knights can move in L-patterns, etc. To keep things simple
pawns would be able to move one square in any direction in a turn, like
a regular monster.

Have the two factions fight each other. This would require some sort of
specific conflict code that only affects the teams against each other.
You would have the option of getting into the middle of the battle or
watching it from the sidelines and picking up the loot afterwards.

And here's where it gets REALLY difficult: make the chess board a puzzle
game like Sokoban. Somehow you control the pieces and you have to
"your" side to win, using normal chess rules. Except of course with
wandering monsters. This would require programming Nethack with some
sort of chess AI which would be a significant addition.

So, frankly, I don't think I'm up to the challenge of tackling this
task, but I think it'd be a hella fun addition to Nethack. The most
rudimentary steps of just adding in the new monsters and the chess board
design wouldn't be too hard and I think could be tackled in a few hours
- but I'd be really impressed if someone actully managed to work in the
mechanics, not just the pieces, of Chess into Nethack.

Or if this is too hard, put in checkers :p

--
~ Cyde Weys ~

Mana du vortes, mana du vortes
Aeria gloris, aeria gloris

Cyde Weys wrote:

> I wonder if something like this has been proposed before ... in
> hindsight, it's kind of obvious.

Scene from a Harry Potter movie. It could be the top
level of Sokoban to have the prize behind it. The
entrance would face one king/queen, the exit would
face the other.

> Basically the chess board would be a new kind of special room (like
> anthives or beehives) that can only be generated in 8x8 rooms. You can
> probably guess the layout, but I'll explain it anyway: 8 white pawns, 8
> black pawns, 2 white knights, 2 black knights, etc., all arranged
> exactly in the way you would expect from a typical real life chess board
> layout. If black vs. white doesn't appeal to you (all would be humans),
> then consider something like human pawn, human knight, etc., vs. elf
> pawn, elf knight, etc.

Orcs vs elves. All generated asleep or as statue traps.
Asleep is better because lacking steal you've waken all
of the.

> Have the two factions fight each other. This would require some sort of
> specific conflict code that only affects the teams against each other.
> You would have the option of getting into the middle of the battle or
> watching it from the sidelines and picking up the loot afterwards.

Have them all go after you standard monster style. Live
through it, get the amulet or bag.

Dylan O'Donnell wrote:
> dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:
> > Jakob Creutzig wrote:
> >
> > > - Trap detection, if by search or by magic, obviously,
> > > should not work at all ('You feel that this place
> > > is protected by ancient magic. Your mind twingles
> > > as you feel the might of its founder' or some better
> > > text).
> >
> > /me gets out a large wax crayon and adds the word "twingles" to his
> > copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. (Right between 'twinge' and
> > 'twinkie')
>
> But it's already there. (Between 'twinge' and 'twing twang', in fact.)
> "v. rare. Now dial. [Prob imitative.] intr. To twist, twine, wriggle,
> writhe."; alternatively, it's an obsolete (16th-18th c.) spelling of
> 'twinkle'.

/me throws his concise edition of the OED out the window and decides
qu'il est plus facile parler en francais.

Cyde Weys wrote:

> So, frankly, I don't think I'm up to the challenge of tackling this
> task, but I think it'd be a hella fun addition to Nethack.

Hmm, I'm not in favour of adding other games to Nethack; I do Sokoban for
the goodies, with the spoilers (which I don't need any more, not even for
the hard version of the top level). If it became an optional branch I'd
probably skip it.

Raisse, killed by a Grey-elf

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Cyde Weys wrote:
> I wonder if something like this has been proposed before ... in
> hindsight, it's kind of obvious.
>
> Basically the chess board would be a new kind of special room (like
> anthives or beehives) that can only be generated in 8x8 rooms. You can
> probably guess the layout, but I'll explain it anyway: 8 white pawns, 8
> black pawns, 2 white knights, 2 black knights, etc., all arranged
> exactly in the way you would expect from a typical real life chess board
> layout. If black vs. white doesn't appeal to you (all would be humans),
> then consider something like human pawn, human knight, etc., vs. elf
> pawn, elf knight, etc.

It'd be more interesting (and easier to figure out) if the pieces have
different symbols and colours. Therefore i suggest goblins as black
pawns and gnomes as white pawns, different ranks of orcs and ogres for
the other black pieces, elves, dwarves and gnomes for the white, except
for the knights, which would be black and white unicorns, and the
bishops, which would be lawful/chaotic aligned priests. Golems for the
rooks, perhaps? Black would be cahotic aligned, white lawful (the
monsters would be adjusted to this), thus determining which side you
fight for when entering. Neutrals probably have both sides hostile.
I suggest having them generated sleeping, the kings on thrones, the
queens on loot-loaded chests, the rest maybe on stacks of gold, and
having them wake up on player entry and move normally. I can't even
begin to imagine how a proper chess game would play out in Nethack, but
I think this would be a fun room to encounter, especially for neutrals.

> And here's where it gets REALLY difficult: make the chess board a puzzle
> game like Sokoban. Somehow you control the pieces and you have to
> "your" side to win, using normal chess rules. Except of course with
> wandering monsters. This would require programming Nethack with some
> sort of chess AI which would be a significant addition.

Or, we could have it appear only on the knight quest (the entrance to
the room being just behind a vacant knight-square on the white side of
the board) and make normal movement impossible, except that pieces move
as described above, and the player moves by his knight-jump. How the
turn order would work, exactly, could be tricky. Maybe only two monsters
(one from each side) and the player should be allowed to move in a
game-turn. I think I like the free-style way better, though.

Cyde Weys <cyde@umd.edu> writes:

> Add in some mechanism such that the chess pieces don't move until you
> either step onto the chess board or attack them from range.

A first step would be to generate them asleep. Maybe one
could tweak the code so that they wake up exactly when
attacked or _the player_ (that seems the hard part) steps
on the board.

But a completely different idea: What about making them all
special statues-traps which come to life exactly in one of the
above conditions?

> And here's where it gets REALLY difficult: make the chess board a puzzle
> game like Sokoban. Somehow you control the pieces and you have to
> "your" side to win, using normal chess rules. Except of course with
> wandering monsters. This would require programming Nethack with some
> sort of chess AI which would be a significant addition.

That's something I feel mixed about. Sure, some people
would like that, but most people would look for a way to
trash it somehow. I for my part wouldn't like a second
Sokoban boredom in the game.

Just having them as statues-traps would be nice enough,
I think.

If you look for some new puzzles, one I'd rather like to
see personally would be some Indiana Jones type (remember
the 'Jehova' step-square-thing?). The level would look like

^
?
$

where $ denotes the 'price', and ? is a special scroll
stating a question about the mythology the char's gods
are derived from, and assigning a letter to each square.
The char has to find the correct answer (hey, we could
learn something about mythology, and it would diversify
the classes a little), then step on the squares forming
the correct answer consecutively to get the price. The
rest of the squares open up to trapdoors with air currents.

Hmmh.. In order to prevent multiple trials or cheating,
at least the following should be met:

- No-port level, and no level-port into the level.

- Don't allow monster generation. They would just mess
up this place.

- Scrolls of earth don't work, or just give one boulder.
Also luck penalty. Polymorhping into a giant, picking
up boulders and filling the trap doors might be an
allowed form of cheating, though.

- Trap detection, if by search or by magic, obviously,
should not work at all ('You feel that this place
is protected by ancient magic. Your mind twingles
as you feel the might of its founder' or some better
text).

- Once stepping on the scroll square, a 'trapdoor opens
up behind you' at the ^ square.

The price could be a random artifact weapon, or something
less powerful/random. Maybe a useful part of magic
armor.

Seems to me that the real work would be to dig out some
nice questions (should they be easily answerable by google,
or the opposite?).

Best,
Jakob

dogscoff@eudoramail.com writes:
> Jakob Creutzig wrote:
>
> > - Trap detection, if by search or by magic, obviously,
> > should not work at all ('You feel that this place
> > is protected by ancient magic. Your mind twingles
> > as you feel the might of its founder' or some better
> > text).
>
> /me gets out a large wax crayon and adds the word "twingles" to his
> copy of the Oxford English Dictionary. (Right between 'twinge' and
> 'twinkie')

But it's already there. (Between 'twinge' and 'twing twang', in fact.)
"v. rare. Now dial. [Prob imitative.] intr. To twist, twine, wriggle,
writhe."; alternatively, it's an obsolete (16th-18th c.) spelling of
'twinkle'.

: "Hi! I'm Prozac the Bear!" :
: -- Prozac the Bear, "Triangle and Robert" :