Anyone replaced a Dell MOBO (memory + CPU question)

My computer just died and Dell told me that I need to get a new
motherboard. Not sure if I want to do that because it's literally 1/4
of the total computer price. The warranty just expired this month too
(bastards).

Two questions:

Is it going to be impossible for me to replace the mobo, will I run
the risk of killing the CPU and all the rest of it... (I'm great with
computers, software side and Cisco routers... just clumsy, which is
why I stay away from PC repair)

....and:

If I decide to just get another computer can I use the memory and CPU
from that computer because it seems like a waste to toss it. (I'm
thinking of getting a barebones and using the CPU, memory and drives)
I've heard that the memory is proprietary but I doubt that because
I've not seen proprietary memory for years.

(Duh...) it's a Dimension 2400:

Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.20GHz with 400MHz front side bus

Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹²

Memory 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB
systems)
3 answers Last reply
More about anyone replaced dell mobo memory question

    Let's back up a step. A fried motherboard of that vintage is pretty rare.
    What exact symptoms are you having. I wouldn't trust that Dell told you the
    right thing.

    On a related note, a brand-new Dimension 2400 with a P4-2.8 is on sale on
    the small business site for $349 right now.

    Tom
    "John Lamar" <john.lamar@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > My computer just died and Dell told me that I need to get a new
    > motherboard. Not sure if I want to do that because it's literally 1/4
    > of the total computer price. The warranty just expired this month too
    > (bastards).
    >
    > Two questions:
    >

    > Is it going to be impossible for me to replace the mobo, will I run
    > the risk of killing the CPU and all the rest of it... (I'm great with
    > computers, software side and Cisco routers... just clumsy, which is
    > why I stay away from PC repair)
    >

    > ...and:
    >
    > If I decide to just get another computer can I use the memory and CPU
    > from that computer because it seems like a waste to toss it. (I'm
    > thinking of getting a barebones and using the CPU, memory and drives)
    > I've heard that the memory is proprietary but I doubt that because
    > I've not seen proprietary memory for years.
    >
    > (Duh...) it's a Dimension 2400:
    >
    > Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.20GHz with 400MHz front side bus
    >
    > Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹²
    >
    > Memory 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB
    > systems)

    For all practical purposes, if you replace a motherboard in a recent model Dell,
    you need to replace it with the same (or very similar) Dell model of board. You
    cannot use a generic motherboard without doing significant rewiring of the leads
    to the front panel on-off button, LEDs and USB ports.

    That said, it is not a difficult job, only a tedious and painstaking job of
    careful disassembly and reassembly. And you have to get all the parts back
    exactly in place for the computer to work right again.

    If you buy another case with motherboard, you should be able to transplant
    EVERYTHING (hard drive, CPU, memory, CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, etc.) out of your
    Dell into the new case, with the exception of the floppy drive. The new case
    will probably require a cooling fan/heat sink combo that sits on top of the CPU,
    rather than the passive heat sink and chassis fan with shroud used by Dell.

    If you replace the case and motherboard, and you do not live so far away that
    shipping costs would be prohibitive, I might be willing to buy the Dimension
    2400 remains. I won't pay serious money, but the parts are useful for me to
    have around.

    As another posting noted, new Dell Dimension 2400s are on sale at pretty
    attractive prices... Ben Myers

    On 31 Aug 2004 22:56:12 -0700, john.lamar@gmail.com (John Lamar) wrote:

    >My computer just died and Dell told me that I need to get a new
    >motherboard. Not sure if I want to do that because it's literally 1/4
    >of the total computer price. The warranty just expired this month too
    >(bastards).
    >
    >Two questions:
    >

    >Is it going to be impossible for me to replace the mobo, will I run
    >the risk of killing the CPU and all the rest of it... (I'm great with
    >computers, software side and Cisco routers... just clumsy, which is
    >why I stay away from PC repair)
    >

    >...and:
    >
    >If I decide to just get another computer can I use the memory and CPU
    >from that computer because it seems like a waste to toss it. (I'm
    >thinking of getting a barebones and using the CPU, memory and drives)
    >I've heard that the memory is proprietary but I doubt that because
    >I've not seen proprietary memory for years.
    >
    >(Duh...) it's a Dimension 2400:
    >
    >Intel® Celeron® Processor at 2.20GHz with 400MHz front side bus
    >
    >Operating System Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition¹²
    >
    >Memory 256MB Shared DDR SDRAM at 333MHz (Performs at 266MHz for 400FSB
    >systems)

    Forgot to mention the $349 Dimension 2400 includes free shipping.

    Tom
    <snip>

    > If you replace the case and motherboard, and you do not live so far away
    > that
    > shipping costs would be prohibitive, I might be willing to buy the
    > Dimension
    > 2400 remains. I won't pay serious money, but the parts are useful for me
    > have around.

Dell Computer Memory Computers