[S] Still more artifacts...

File this one under "Things that are just WRONG"

You see a dwarf! The dwarf wields a club!
You see another dwarf! The dwarf wields a long sword named Vorpal Blade!

EEK!

Needless to say, I chose to attack the second dwarf first.
So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
(lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?

I suppose I could use Firebrand to both obtain and cook dinner at the same
time...instant shish-kabob! But flame broiled black pudding just doesn't
sound that yummy. I'll stick with the food rations, thank you very much.

Well, you could get a bunch of really good pets, and give them the
weapons to wield. With you plus an ettin wielding Deathsword, a giant
with Vorpy, and a master mind flayer with Firebrand, who could stop
you?

An umber hulk in the wrong place at the wrong time, that's what. ;-)

Artemis the Ranger

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Phlimm <icubed@deathtospamremovethisbigfoot.com> wrote in

> File this one under "Things that are just WRONG"
>
> You see a dwarf! The dwarf wields a club!
> You see another dwarf! The dwarf wields a long sword named Vorpal Blade!
>
> EEK!
>
> Needless to say, I chose to attack the second dwarf first.
> So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
> (lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
> martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?
>
> I suppose I could use Firebrand to both obtain and cook dinner at the same
> time...instant shish-kabob! But flame broiled black pudding just doesn't
> sound that yummy. I'll stick with the food rations, thank you very much.

not sure if it's a bad thing to do, but what about sacrificing some...

> You see another dwarf! The dwarf wields a long sword named Vorpal Blade!
> So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
> (lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
> martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?

Yes: No playermonster on Astral Plane will behead you with Vorpal Blade
now.

Greetings,
Benjamin

--
Benjamin 'blindCoder' Schieder
Registered Linux User #289529: http://counter.li.org

Phlimm wrote:

> Needless to say, I chose to attack the second dwarf first.
> So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
> (lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
> martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?

If you don't want to give them to pets and take the risk
of the pets going ferral, at very least you can lock them
in a chest/box and not worry about them being used against
you. Or you could waste lots of scrolls, evaporate them,
and really never worry about them being used against you.

Jym wrote:
> Doug Freyburger wrote:
> > Phlimm wrote:
>
> > > Needless to say, I chose to attack the second dwarf first.
> > > So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
> > > (lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
> > > martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?
>
> > If you don't want to give them to pets and take the risk
> > of the pets going ferral, at very least you can lock them
> > in a chest/box and not worry about them being used against
> > you.
>
> Gcube ?

There is no activity on any level when you're not there. So
if you keep your stash in a level you rarely visit this risk
becomes extremely low. Put the dangerous stuff in the first
level of Sokoban, never go back there, and the risk goes to
zero.

So long as you stay on that level, that risk remains. I
encountered this just this weekend while camping at an altar.
I cast a "create monster" spell, failed to kill a cube on the
first swipe, got paralized by it for a few moves. During
those few moves it ate one of my chests. Kill it, use the
spare box, good thing I already had a spare box at that point.

> > Or you could waste lots of scrolls, evaporate them,
> > and really never worry about them being used against you.
>
> Or waste two BoH. Or a BoH and something else. This has the advantage of
> only wasting once even for many artefacts.

Other alternatives I can think of: polymorph a box/chest
holding it. Feed it to a metal eater (hmm, I'd need to check
if that works and I don't have access to the game today).

On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, Doug Freyburger wrote:

> Phlimm wrote:
> >
> > Needless to say, I chose to attack the second dwarf first.
> > So now I have Firebrand (gifted), Vorpy (looted), and can have Deathsword
> > (lying on the ground still) if I wanted it. As an 11th level Grand Master
> > martial artist monk, are any of these items of ANY use at all?
>
> If you don't want to give them to pets and take the risk
> of the pets going ferral, at very least you can lock them
> in a chest/box and not worry about them being used against
> you.

Gcube ?

> Or you could waste lots of scrolls, evaporate them,
> and really never worry about them being used against you.

Or waste two BoH. Or a BoH and something else. This has the advantage of
only wasting once even for many artefacts.

--
Hypocoristiquement,
Jym.

Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org