Clarification on PC Monitors?

a_ginger_one

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I'm looking to buy a new monitor to replace my breaking 17" 1280x1024 monitor, but with such a vast array of options available, I fear I need advice.

My primary use will be gaming, with the occasional movie here and there. I have around £150 to spend, and I'm looking for a monitor about 24" in size.

What's the difference between 1920x1080 and 1920x1200? By that I mean, which is "better" for gaming? Do all games come with both of these resolution settings, or is one more preferable than the other?

What's the difference between 60Hz refresh rate and 120Hz refresh rate? I have been reading and some people state that a game running at 60FPS will look the same on both a 60Hz monitor and a 120Hz monitor, whereas other people swear blindly that the 120Hz looks smoother, even with a game running at 60FPS. Is it worth going for the higher refresh rate?

What is the difference between 5ms response time and 2ms response time? Will I notice a difference, or is it nigh on negligible?

As you can probably tell by now, I possess little knowledge when it comes to monitors. Any and all help will be much appreciated :)

revolution2718

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Ok.

First off the difference in resolution basically boils down to TV and Blu-Ray use 1920x1080, while games tend to max out at 1920x1200. You will not really notice a difference, either one should be fine for you.

60Hz and 120Hz refers to the refresh rate. Basically any content running below 60 fps (any movie, most games) on a 120Hz monitor forces the monitor to add artificial frames to make the image look "smooth". Some people like the look, I personally do not and would not spend more money on a gimmick to make my content look "smoother" (worse)

The response time listed is good for a guideline, but because there is no set standard on how to measure response time, it can be misleading. Anything below 5ms is fine.

You'll likely be buying an LCD panel, anything that says LED on it just means it is thinner and more energy efficient, and they usually charge slightly more.

Asus and Samsung usually make good cheap monitors.