Blindfold: an oxymoron?

I'm a Gnome Archeologist. I suddenly start seeing all the monsters on a
level when I put a blindfold on. Is that normal? What's causing this?
Infravision? How does infravision work anyway?
23 answers Last reply
More about blindfold oxymoron

    BandC babbled on for HOURS on 06 Jul 2005:

    > I'm a Gnome Archeologist. I suddenly start seeing all the
    > monsters on a
    > level when I put a blindfold on. Is that normal? What's causing this?
    > Infravision? How does infravision work anyway?

    Ah! A discovery moment! How wonderful. 8o)

    You have recently either eaten a floating eye corpse, or quaffed a blessed
    potion of ESP. You are now more mentally acute. Be thankful for this
    wonderful gift, and keep that blindfold within easy reach. You will soon
    grow very fond of this ability.

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, BandC wrote:

    > I'm a Gnome Archeologist. I suddenly start seeing all the monsters on
    > a level when I put a blindfold on. Is that normal? What's causing this?
    > Infravision? How does infravision work anyway?

    It's not infravision, I don't think, but telepathy. Hintish/slight
    spoiler: your "vision" is enhanced because of a certain vision related
    monster corpse. And... not /all/ monsters on the level... just most.

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, BandC wrote:

    >> Ah! A discovery moment! How wonderful. 8o)
    >>
    >> You have recently either eaten a floating eye corpse, or quaffed a blessed
    >> potion of ESP. You are now more mentally acute. Be thankful for this
    >> wonderful gift, and keep that blindfold within easy reach. You will soon
    >> grow very fond of this ability.
    >
    > Aha! Thanks for the answers. I believe i consumed a floating eye
    > corpse but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think. I take it this
    > is temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does ESP stand for
    > anyway? :)

    ESP - Extra Sensory Perception.

    And it's not temporary exactly, but it can go away.

    To your other post, about the combat: You can take the blindfold off if
    they're close to you, and attack the monster. I'm not sure if a blind fold
    actually affects combat; never noticed. I guess that'll be up to someone
    more versed in the little things to reply to.

    BandC wrote:
    > How does infravision work anyway?

    I think infravision allows you to see the heat
    of warm monsters when they're in the dark. Infravison
    won't work when you have your blindfold on.

    Clemence

    > Ah! A discovery moment! How wonderful. 8o)
    >
    > You have recently either eaten a floating eye corpse, or quaffed a blessed
    > potion of ESP. You are now more mentally acute. Be thankful for this
    > wonderful gift, and keep that blindfold within easy reach. You will soon
    > grow very fond of this ability.

    Aha! Thanks for the answers. I believe i consumed a floating eye corpse
    but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think. I take it this is
    temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does ESP stand for
    anyway? :)
  6. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BandC babbled on for HOURS on 06 Jul 2005:

    >> Ah! A discovery moment! How wonderful. 8o)
    >>
    >> You have recently either eaten a floating eye corpse, or quaffed a
    >> blessed potion of ESP. You are now more mentally acute. Be thankful
    >> for this wonderful gift, and keep that blindfold within easy reach.
    >> You will soon grow very fond of this ability.
    >
    > Aha! Thanks for the answers. I believe i consumed a floating eye
    > corpse
    > but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think. I take it this
    > is temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does ESP stand
    > for anyway? :)

    ESP as the others said is Extra Sensory Perception...as in mind reading, or
    predicting the future or in this case clairvoyance (seeing things that you
    normally cannot). It is permanent to a certain extent. That is, you will
    have it for as long as you don't perform certain acts...if you want to know
    more, just say so, but you sound like you don't want TOO much info.

    It does not affect combat to the best of my knowledge and experience. So
    you can fight whilst blindfolded no problem. BUT not all creatures are
    visible using this method. You will figure out which ones you cannot see
    this way soon enough.
  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BandC wrote:

    > Aha! Thanks for the answers. I believe i consumed a floating eye
    > corpse but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think. I take it
    > this is temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does ESP
    > stand for anyway? :)

    Oh one more thing. To be able to see monsters I have to blindfold on.
    Does this effect my combat negatively?
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    I put on my blindfold in front of my PC and suddenly all became clear.
    :P Thanks for the answers Phlimm and Adam Lawson.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Phlimm wrote:
    > BandC wrote:
    >
    > > I believe i consumed a floating eye corpse
    > > but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think.

    Lesson learned - Every message means something. The messages
    that aren't familiar, those you need to pay extra special
    attention to. When you acquire telepathy the message is like
    "You feel a strange mental aquity."

    > > I take it this
    > > is temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does ESP stand
    > > for anyway? :)

    It is permanent but there are activities that take it away.
    Be very naughty, lose it. Be a little naughty, keep it. Be
    nice, keep it.

    > ESP as the others said is Extra Sensory Perception...as in mind reading,

    It's mind reading and that says something extra. There exist
    monsters with no mind. You will not be able to see them so
    every once in a while you can be walking around the dungen
    blindfolded and you'll run into an unseen monster.

    > or
    > predicting the future or in this case clairvoyance (seeing things that you
    > normally cannot). It is permanent to a certain extent.

    Clairvoyance is temporary and it is something different. With
    clairoyance every so often you will see items and dungeon
    features within a certain range.

    > It does not affect combat to the best of my knowledge and experience. So
    > you can fight whilst blindfolded no problem.

    No effect on combat.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Phlimm wrote:

    > You have recently either [...], or quaffed a blessed potion of ESP.

    These don't exist, but there are such potions...

    You may gain telepathy by:

    Wearing a helm of telepathy or an amulet of ESP (including the
    Eye of the Aethiopica, the Wizard Quest Artifact).
    Praying to a god whom thou hast pleased with thy progress.
    Carrying the Orb of Detection, the Magic Mirror of Merlin, the Longbow
    of Diana, or the Platinum Yendorian Express Card (Archeologist,
    Knight, Ranger and Tourist Quest Artifacts respectively).
    Eating a floating eye or a (master) mind flayer.
    "You feel a strange mental acuity."
    Eating an amulet of ESP.
    Polymorphing into a floating eye or a (master) mind flayer.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 07 Jul 2005:

    > Phlimm wrote:
    >
    >> You have recently either [...], or quaffed a blessed potion of ESP.
    >
    > These don't exist, but there are such potions...

    Ah, the potions of ESP must be a Slash'Em only animal then.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:

    >>It does not affect combat to the best of my knowledge and experience. So
    >>you can fight whilst blindfolded no problem.
    >

    > No effect on combat.

    Hmm, Isn't it kinda weird that there is absolutely no penalty when
    fighting with a blindfold on? After all, you don't see where you're
    hitting...
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Thu, 7 Jul 2005, BandC wrote:

    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > >
    > >>It does not affect combat to the best of my knowledge and experience. So
    > >>you can fight whilst blindfolded no problem.
    > >

    > > No effect on combat.
    > >

    > Hmm, Isn't it kinda weird that there is absolutely no penalty when
    > fighting with a blindfold on? After all, you don't see where you're
    > hitting...

    Well, if you don't have telepathy, then there is a penalty (iirc).
    If you do have telepathy, then you see the other monster through its brain
    and perfectly know its position, so no penalty.

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BandC wrote:
    > Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > >
    > >>It does not affect combat to the best of my knowledge and experience. So
    > >>you can fight whilst blindfolded no problem.
    > >

    > > No effect on combat.
    > >

    > Hmm, Isn't it kinda weird that there is absolutely no penalty when
    > fighting with a blindfold on? After all, you don't see where you're
    > hitting...

    One definite combat penalty from blindfolds that I keep bumping into,
    or perhaps keeps bumping into me, is when throwing Mjollnir as a
    Valkyrie with GoP.

    Tip: don't do that - ouch!
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Clemence Magnien wrote:
    > BandC wrote:
    > > How does infravision work anyway?
    >
    > I think infravision allows you to see the heat
    > of warm monsters when they're in the dark. Infravison
    > won't work when you have your blindfold on.
    >
    > Clemence

    I believe it also lets you see the lack of heat 'coming from' cold
    ones, like black in a sea of gray.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    spoon wrote:

    > One definite combat penalty from blindfolds that I keep bumping into,
    > or perhaps keeps bumping into me, is when throwing Mjollnir as a
    > Valkyrie with GoP.

    But isn't Mjollnir an intelligent artifact (no, it isn't: I know that).

    When blindfolded, should you be able to sense intelligent artifacts? I
    think you should.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Phlimm wrote:
    > Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 07 Jul 2005:
    >> Phlimm wrote:

    >>> You have recently either [...], or quaffed a blessed potion of ESP.
    >> These don't exist, but there are such potions...

    > Ah, the potions of ESP must be a Slash'Em only animal then.

    They may be Slash'em only. I can't tell: I only play vanilla.

    But even playing only vanilla, I am quite certain they're no animal.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    "Would those who believe in telekinesis please raise my hand?"
    - Maarten Pieters, in NRC Handelsblad.
  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:

    > Phlimm wrote:
    > > Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 07 Jul 2005:

    > >> These don't exist, but there are such potions...
    >
    > > Ah, the potions of ESP must be a Slash'Em only animal then.
    >
    > They may be Slash'em only. I can't tell: I only play vanilla.
    >
    > But even playing only vanilla, I am quite certain they're no animal.

    Beware, Slash'em has killer piles of gold, bad eggs or killer food rations
    as monsters...

    --
    Hypocoristiquement,
    Jym.

    Adresse mail plus valide à partir de septembre 2005.
    Utiliser l'adresse de redirection permanente :
    Jean-Yves.Moyen `at` ens-lyon.org
  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    ihope wrote:
    > Clemence Magnien wrote:
    >> BandC wrote:
    >>> How does infravision work anyway?

    >> I think infravision allows you to see the heat
    >> of warm monsters when they're in the dark. Infravison
    >> won't work when you have your blindfold on.

    > I believe it also lets you see the lack of heat 'coming from' cold
    > ones, like black in a sea of gray.

    No, it doesn't, although I think a point could be made in favour of
    this.

    --
    Boudewijn.

    as my signature..." - Me
  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    "Boudewijn Waijers" <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:

    > ihope wrote:
    > > Clemence Magnien wrote:
    >
    > >> I think infravision allows you to see the heat
    > >> of warm monsters when they're in the dark. Infravison
    > >> won't work when you have your blindfold on.
    >
    > > I believe it also lets you see the lack of heat 'coming from' cold
    > > ones, like black in a sea of gray.
    >
    > No, it doesn't, although I think a point could be made in favour of
    > this.

    Maybe if the game took place on the surface. Dungeons and cave systems
    tend to have a low ambient temperature in the first place. You should be
    able to infra-see cold creatures in Gehennom, though.

    Richard
  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    BandC wrote:
    > BandC wrote:
    >

    >> Aha! Thanks for the answers. I believe i consumed a floating eye
    >> corpse but I don't remember when. It was a while ago I think. I take
    >> it this is temporary. Does this ability last a long time? What does
    >> ESP stand for anyway? :)
    >

    > Oh one more thing. To be able to see monsters I have to blindfold
    > on. Does this effect my combat negatively?

    No.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Zarel
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Doug Freyburger wrote:
    > Phlimm wrote:
    >
    >>BandC wrote:
    >>or
    >>predicting the future or in this case clairvoyance (seeing things that you
    >>normally cannot). It is permanent to a certain extent.
    >

    > Clairvoyance is temporary and it is something different. With
    > clairoyance every so often you will see items and dungeon
    > features within a certain range.

    It's not temporary if you're a wizard with a cornuthaum.

    IIRC, clairvoyance also excercizes wisdom.

    --
    ____ (__)
    / \ (oo) -Zarel
    |Moo. > \/
    \____/
  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.roguelike.nethack (More info?)

    Jym wrote:
    > On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Boudewijn Waijers wrote:
    >

    >>Phlimm wrote:
    >>
    >>>Boudewijn Waijers babbled on for HOURS on 07 Jul 2005:

    >>>Ah, the potions of ESP must be a Slash'Em only animal then.
    >>
    >>They may be Slash'em only. I can't tell: I only play vanilla.
    >>
    >>But even playing only vanilla, I am quite certain they're no animal.
    >

    > Beware, Slash'em has killer piles of gold, bad eggs or killer food rations
    > as monsters...

    You forget the killer tripe rations.

    --
    ____ (__)