Sign in with
Your question

CPU Fans

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2001 5:55:31 AM

How important is a good fan for a 1.2-1.4 ghz Athalon? Do I really need a ~$30 dollar one if Im not overclocking?

My friend is tellign me I need a good one if I want to be able to leave it on over night.

I no longer wish to belong to the kind of club that accepts people like me as members - Groucho Marx

More about : cpu fans

June 23, 2001 6:09:13 AM

if you buy a retail processor, you get a perfectly adequate heatsink.
the stock one is designed with 24/7 operation in mind, not that it is the best one available, but you don't need better for normal usage. people get carried away with heatsinks...

----------------------
Independant thought is good.
It won't hurt for long.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2001 4:23:19 PM

The best one for the money is the Volcano II for $8. The next best value is the FOP32-1 for $14. There are a lot of heatsinks that cost over twice as much that DO NOT cool better! Only a few of the "high end" heatsinks are actually much better, and those are for the extreme overclockers or cooling freaks.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine
June 23, 2001 9:13:14 PM

In my opinion, the fan used on these Heatsinks is the major factor in cooling. Cheap fan, cheap cooling. A decent quiet fan will do wonders to a stock heatsink. A little lapping, and some black spray paint for the fins. Tada, a $40 cooler for $10.
!