Upgrade a Motherboard with a SE chipset.

compradun

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
I have a pentium II 400 with a SE [seattle] chipset and a 100 mhz board. What would be a simple plug and play upgrade without having to update/upgrade the BIOS, etc.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Plug and Play refers to cards, so yes, you can plug almost any PCI or ISA card in.
Your motherboard should accept all standard 168-pin SDRAM (PC100 or PC133).
Your motherboard supports at least a PIII 600 Katmai core processor (the Katmai is the one with 512k cache).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

compradun

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Would I need to upgrade the BIOS? What is the Katami designation? Can I assume that all the 512 cache 600 PIIIs are the Katami? Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Katmai is the original version of the PIII. All 512k Slot 1 versions are Katmai. The newer Coppermine has only 256k cache but at a higher speed. I don't know it the Coppermine (600E or 600EB) will work, but the Katmai will for sure. When buying online, the easiest way to figure out if it's a Katmai is if it has 512k cache.

compradun

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2001
Thanks for the direction. How hard would it be to swap out the 400 PII with the PIII 600 Katami? I have not done this sort of procedure before.

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
1.) Buy the processor and a nice heatsink/fan (dual fans prefered)
2.) Attach the fan using heatsink paste to aid in heat transfer, unless a pad is attached to the heatsink already.
3.) Turn off your computer.
4.) Unplug your computer.
5.) Open your computer case
6.) Sqeeze the tabs together on the old processor and pull it out.
7.) Plug in the new processor and connect the fan, push until the tabs go "click".
8.) Close the case.
9.) Plug your computer in.
10.) Turn your computer on.